Homo naledi is only 250,000 years old

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Homo naledi is only 250,000 years old

#21  Postby Wortfish » Jun 05, 2017 10:24 pm

newolder wrote:Wortfish, From where did you extract that "3 million years old" figure?

Here: https://anthropology.net/2017/04/27/hom ... s-thought/

Homo naledi, the mosaic of archaic and modern human, whose discovery two years ago was published in the journal Elife was touted to be around 3 million years old.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Wortfish » Jun 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Proportionately, no, the creationists were still way off. Do the math, 250,000/6000 vs 3 million/250,000.

Not all creationists believe the earth is 6,000 years old. I met one who thought it is 2.5 million years old.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Wortfish » Jun 05, 2017 10:33 pm

What bugs me is Dawkins' claim that every species must produce offspring of the same species: https://richarddawkins.net/2015/03/darw ... w-species/

The trouble is that at what point did my erectus ancestors become sapiens descendants if they could only produce an erectus?
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Fenrir » Jun 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Wortfish wrote:What bugs me is Dawkins' claim that every species must produce offspring of the same species: https://richarddawkins.net/2015/03/darw ... w-species/

The trouble is that at what point did my erectus ancestors become sapiens descendants if they could only produce an erectus?

Sigh.

Different day. Same old shit.

Precisely where in this image does red become blue?

Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Shrunk » Jun 06, 2017 12:05 am

Wortfish wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Proportionately, no, the creationists were still way off. Do the math, 250,000/6000 vs 3 million/250,000.

Not all creationists believe the earth is 6,000 years old. I met one who thought it is 2.5 million years old.

So you guys think the earth is somewhere between 6000 and 2.5 million years old. Amazing scientific rigour.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Shrunk » Jun 06, 2017 12:05 am

Wortfish wrote:What bugs me is Dawkins' claim that every species must produce offspring of the same species: https://richarddawkins.net/2015/03/darw ... w-species/

:lmao:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Wortfish » Jun 06, 2017 12:09 am

Shrunk wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
So you guys think the earth is somewhere between 6000 and 2.5 million years old. Amazing scientific rigour.

Creationists are a broad church. There are some who think the earth is 4.6 billion years old. There are even some creatonists, like Mike Behe. who accept universal common descent.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#28  Postby kiore » Jun 06, 2017 12:10 am

Shrunk wrote:

A most quotable quote, it shall not fade away.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#29  Postby Wortfish » Jun 06, 2017 12:12 am

Fenrir wrote:

At the top of the image. However, the point is that - for speciation to be true in the exact sense of the word - the sapiens offspring would not be able (hypothetically speaking) to breed with its erectus mother.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Fenrir » Jun 06, 2017 12:13 am

kiore wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

A most quotable quote, it shall not fade away.

Shhh. To be savoured, not explained. Like meatloaf.
Fenrir

Male

Print view this post

#31  Postby Shrunk » Jun 06, 2017 12:47 am

Wortfish wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Wortfish wrote:

Creationists are a broad church. There are some who think the earth is 4.6 billion years old. There are even some creatonists, like Mike Behe. who accept universal common descent.

I know. So it's weird that you expect creationism to be considered scientific. In actual science, one is not concerned with accommodating a broad range of beliefs. Rather, the concern is with narrowing things down to what is correct
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Shrunk » Jun 06, 2017 12:48 am

Wortfish wrote:
Fenrir wrote:

At the top of the image.

:hahano:

However, the point is that - for speciation to be true in the exact sense of the word - the sapiens offspring would not be able (hypothetically speaking) to breed with its erectus mother.

:rofl:

You think speciation occurs in the space of a generation?

Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Fenrir » Jun 06, 2017 1:03 am

Wortfish wrote:
Fenrir wrote:

At the top of the image.

Too scared to try an actual answer?

However, the point is that - for speciation to be true in the exact sense of the word - the sapiens offspring would not be able (hypothetically speaking) to breed with its erectus mother.

Maybe, in Pokemon Science.

*It really is beautiful, fractally wrong.
Fenrir

Male

Print view this post

#34  Postby newolder » Jun 06, 2017 8:04 am

Wortfish wrote:
newolder wrote:Wortfish, From where did you extract that "3 million years old" figure?

Here: https://anthropology.net/2017/04/27/hom ... s-thought/

Homo naledi, the mosaic of archaic and modern human, whose discovery two years ago was published in the journal Elife was touted to be around 3 million years old.

You quote a blog that references a paper that does not contain a 3 million year old age estimate for Homo Naledi. The closest the paper comes is:
Furthermore, while the skull had several unique features, it had a small braincase that was most similar in size to other early hominin species that lived between four million and two million years ago.

You are no doubt familiar with the term "Chinese whispers"? Where an idea evolves through bad copying and transfer. I think your evolution studies have a way to go, yet. :thumbup:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#35  Postby Wortfish » Jun 06, 2017 8:00 pm

Shrunk wrote:
I know. So it's weird that you expect creationism to be considered scientific. In actual science, one is not concerned with accommodating a broad range of beliefs. Rather, the concern is with narrowing things down to what is correct

I am not saying creationism is scientific. But the creationists called H. naledi to be much younger than was originally claimed by its discoverers. They noted that the remains were more bones than mineralised fossils. The fact is that Berger wanted naledi to be at least 2 million years old because it would make naledi an "ancestor" rather a relic and dead end.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Wortfish » Jun 06, 2017 8:02 pm

Shrunk wrote:
You think speciation occurs in the space of a generation?

I'm just following Dawkins' logic that every species must produce offspring of the same species (plants excepting). If so, how and when does a new species arise? :doh: :?
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby theropod » Jun 06, 2017 9:33 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

I am not saying creationism is scientific. But the creationists called H. naledi to be much younger than was originally claimed by its discoverers. They noted that the remains were more bones than mineralised fossils. The fact is that Berger wanted naledi to be at least 2 million years old because it would make naledi an "ancestor" rather a relic and dead end.

I want to see a citation where the scientist "wanted" this. I think you are making an empty assertion. Prove me wrong. From the paper I read the authors make it clear that the age was unknown at the time of publication.

Here is the lead paper.

"Homo naledi, a new species of the genus Homo from the Dinaledi Chamber, South Africa"

"The geological age of the fossils is not yet known..."

So, what have you to say for yourself? You wouldn't just make up some shit to score points would you? Either retract your assertion or provide a citation where the scientist clearly wanted a specific outcome. Failing that we can chalk up your posts as bullshit unworthy of this forum.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Wortfish » Jun 06, 2017 9:47 pm

Fenrir wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
Fenrir wrote:

At the top of the image.

Too scared to try an actual answer?

Maybe, in Pokemon Science.

I told you...at the top. It's blue when there is no tinge of red in it. Dawkins has stated he doubted that any "pair of Homo erectus parents gazed down proudly at their Homo sapiens newborn." But if we accept that anatomically modern humans appeared around 200,000 years ago, then something like that must have happened.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Wortfish » Jun 06, 2017 9:52 pm

theropod wrote:

So, what have you to say for yourself? You wouldn't just make up some shit to score points would you? Either retract your assertion or provide a citation where the scientist clearly wanted a specific outcome. Failing that we can chalk up your posts as bullshit unworthy of this forum.RS

"H. naledi clearly sits near or at the root of the Homo genus". Lee Berger (discoverer)

“It could lie close to the origin of the genus Homo". Chris Stringer (Berger's bulldog)

Both men wanted naledi to be old enough to claim it as the ancestor linking the trasition between the australopithecines and humans. It would have been the missing link.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby theropod » Jun 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Wortfish wrote:
theropod wrote:

So, what have you to say for yourself? You wouldn't just make up some shit to score points would you? Either retract your assertion or provide a citation where the scientist clearly wanted a specific outcome. Failing that we can chalk up your posts as bullshit unworthy of this forum.RS

"H. naledi clearly sits near or at the root of the Homo genus". Lee Berger (discoverer)

“It could lie close to the origin of the genus Homo". Chris Stringer (Berger's bulldog)

Both men wanted naledi to be old enough to claim it as the ancestor linking the trasition between the australopithecines and humans. It would have been the missing link.

Those are not citations. Again, without citation all you are doing is asserting this is what was said. Cite the source of those quotes. Don't direct me to some wank creotard site either. I want you to back up your shit or withdraw it. More assertions without a credible source equals bullshit, and I think your posts are nothing but a stream of ass gravy. Prove me wrong.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection