Less fit intermediates.

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Less fit intermediates.

#1  Postby Lazar » Mar 12, 2010 7:59 am

I found this interesting. Recent research suggests less fit intermediates can and do occur.

It appears, therefore that this particular evolutionary two-step often passes through an intermediate with significantly lower fitness than either its ancestor or its compensated descendant.

more info here: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/denis036/thiswe ... death.html

Spinozasgalt: "And how come no one ever sigs me?"
Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Less fit intermediates.

#2  Postby Tyrannical » Mar 26, 2010 5:49 am

I just stumbled upon that article too, but I see it posted already.
I think this is one of the most important questions that need to be answered by evolutionary theory.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/denis036/thisweekinevolution/2010/03/crossing_the_ridge_of_death.html#more

It's fairly easy to get from A to Z, provided that B is at least as fit as A, while C is at least as fit as B, and so on. This can be the case, as shown by experiments on the five-step evolution of antibiotic resistance, discussed in a previous post. But is this the only way a population can evolve a superior genotype? Or does evolution sometimes reach new heights (faster-flying birds, scummier pond scum, etc.) through intermediates that are significantly less fit?
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby hackenslash » Mar 27, 2010 2:30 am

It doesn't actually present a problem for evolution. It should be noted that evolutionary theory doesn't predict improvements in fitness at every stage, nor should it. The only thing that matters is meeting or approaching mean fitness. Remember that fitness isn't binary, but works more like a high-pass filter, and an imperfect one at that. So representative alleles that actually constitute a reduction in mean fitness can still survive to reproduction, providing a basis for future mutations. The reduction in mean fitness doesn't represent extinction, just a reduced average representation in following generations.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Tyrannical » Mar 27, 2010 9:22 pm

hackenslash wrote:It doesn't actually present a problem for evolution. It should be noted that evolutionary theory doesn't predict improvements in fitness at every stage, nor should it. The only thing that matters is meeting or approaching mean fitness. Remember that fitness isn't binary, but works more like a high-pass filter, and an imperfect one at that. So representative alleles that actually constitute a reduction in mean fitness can still survive to reproduction, providing a basis for future mutations. The reduction in mean fitness doesn't represent extinction, just a reduced average representation in following generations.

Perhaps you should email him and tell him there is no need to continue working on his upcoming book, as you have so easily already answered the question :ask:
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby hackenslash » Mar 27, 2010 10:12 pm

What question? It still constitutes interesting research.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection