Ligers and hybrid fertility [split]

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Recent African replacement or multiregional?

#21  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 08, 2010 6:37 pm

cursuswalker wrote:

Therefore they could be argued to represent to ends of a ring species, could they not?

It's a tough one. It is physically impossible for them to mate, yet they can still receive gene flow between intermediary sized dogs like a ring species. However, they are interfertile, unlike ring species.

Dunno - I will pass that one to Susu! :grin:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#22  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 08, 2010 6:38 pm

cursuswalker wrote:
Therefore they could be argued to represent to ends of a ring species, could they not?

Assuming the answer is yes (ie that dogs represent a ring species ranked simply by size, with the two extremes being unable to interbreed naturally), can anyone indicate two populations of humans that are also unable to interbreed naturally and have demonstrably not done so when placed in geographical proximity?

No, all modern human populations are interfertile and have sufficient similarity in their tackle to interbreed.

An example that springs to mind is the progeny of Tasmanian women raped by colonists.
Last edited by Spearthrower on Apr 08, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#23  Postby cursuswalker » Apr 08, 2010 6:40 pm

In contrast to the dogs, here is an example of a woman of child bearing age from the most genetically isolated human population from Europe.

http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/pictoria/a/0/9/im/a09296.jpg

Anyone care to make out that no european man would want to get to know her better?
Image http://www.caerabred.org/

Space Corps Directive 723. 'Terraformers are expressly forbidden from recreating Swindon.'
cursuswalker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby cursuswalker » Apr 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:

It's a tough one. It is physically impossible for them to mate, yet they can still receive gene flow between intermediary sized dogs like a ring species. However, they are interfertile, unlike ring species.

They are interfertile if artificial means are used, but I would argue that they could not, in fact, mate.

Space Corps Directive 723. 'Terraformers are expressly forbidden from recreating Swindon.'
cursuswalker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 08, 2010 6:45 pm

cursuswalker wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:

They are interfertile if artificial means are used, but I would argue that they could not, in fact, mate.

Stretching the imagination, it is presumably possible for the Great Dane bitch to crouch like a lioness and the chihuahua to climb aboard and enjoy the ride.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby cursuswalker » Apr 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Stretching the imagination, it is presumably possible for the Great Dane bitch to crouch like a lioness and the chihuahua to climb aboard and enjoy the ride.

In the Ancestors Tale Dawkins tells of two species of cricket that will mate successfully if the mating call of one of the species is played to them. The offspring are fertile. Yet they are still classed as two species.

On that definition I would definitely class the Great Dane and the Chihuahua as two different species.

cursuswalker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Tyrannical » Apr 08, 2010 6:55 pm

I think dog breeds are extremely close geneticaly, far more then you'd expect.
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby cursuswalker » Apr 08, 2010 7:37 pm

Tyrannical wrote:I think dog breeds are extremely close geneticaly, far more then you'd expect.

That is irrelevant. The accepted definition of a species is a group of organisms who interbreed successfully under natural conditions.

Could a Great Dane and a Chihuahua do so?

Could a north European and a Tasmanian aborigine do so?

In the former case, I suspect not. In the latter case:

Last edited by cursuswalker on Apr 08, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cursuswalker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 08, 2010 7:46 pm

cursuswalker wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:I think dog breeds are extremely close geneticaly, far more then you'd expect.

That is irrelevant. The accepted definition of a species is a group of organisms who interbreed successfully under natural conditions.

Could a Great Dame and a Chihuahua do so?

Could a north European and a Tasmanisn aborigine do so?

In the former case, I suspect not. In the latter case:

There are numerous definitions of species, and in fact, the ring species you cited clearly challenges the traditional definition of a species.

Could a Great Dane and Chihuahua interbreed, yes they probably could if they could overcome the size difference, as per the example I already gave. As another way of explaining it, I already mentioned that gene flow continues between the 2 breeds via intermediary sized dogs, so, unless the 2 groups are kept in strict breeding isolation, they will never truly become another species.

Note that the term 'ring species' is actually singular, as in, they are all members of the same species.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_species

In biology, a ring species is a connected series of neighboring populations that can interbreed with relatively closely related populations, but for which there exist at least two "end" populations in the series that are too distantly related to interbreed.

Neighbouring populations, not neighbouring species.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 09, 2010 3:35 am

Segundo wrote:
Relatedly, I have come across people who think zoological classification is "wrong" and that species are "human inventions" because ring species exist and I think these people are badly mistaken.

I don't think that species are a human invention because of ring species, but they most certainly are a 'human invention' in the sense that they are a means of drawing lines in nature where lines do not exist. A species is a population at a point in time. All individuals could breed with their parent's generation back forever, so we are the ones who decide, based on morphological characteristics, what one species is and what another is. That doesn't make it 'wrong', but people should be aware of the way a species is constructed.

Segundo wrote:My opinion is that classifying all domestic dogs as one species is dumb. I do not know why it is done but I would guess it has something to do with convenience.

It's because they are extremely similar genetically and interfertile.

As for the intuition, I will look forward to seeing your answers to Tyrannical's next competition. :thumbup:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#31  Postby Tyrannical » Apr 09, 2010 3:58 am

cursuswalker wrote:

What you are forgetting, is that it is unnatural conditions that led to dog breeds, and it is only through continually enforcing these conditions through selective breeding that breeds continue to exist. Without human intervention, you'd have a bunch of mutts :lol:
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Agrippina » Apr 09, 2010 4:21 am

Tyrannical wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:

What you are forgetting, is that it is unnatural conditions that led to dog breeds, and it is only through continually enforcing these conditions through selective breeding that breeds continue to exist. Without human intervention, you'd have a bunch of mutts :lol:

In the documentary series "Earth after people" they demonstrated exactly that. They said that the scavenger "wolf" gene in dogs is still strong enough for them to become exactly like wolves within a few months of having to find their own food and that all 'pure' breeds would disappear very quickly once they had to fight for the fertile females and they'd be feral because of having to fight for food within weeks. Anyone who's ever seen a litter of puppies scrapping over a bowl of food would understand that.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Ligers and hybrid fertility [split]

#33  Postby cursuswalker » Apr 09, 2010 11:23 am

And yet if humans disappeared those two breeds would not be able to interbreed. Of course it wouldn't matter as they could breed with their neightbours on the size scale and those differences would even out.

But a feral Great Dane and a feral Chihuahua (there's a scary thought!) would not interbreed.

cursuswalker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Tyrannical » Apr 09, 2010 12:04 pm

cursuswalker wrote:And yet if humans disappeared those two breeds would not be able to interbreed. Of course it wouldn't matter as they could breed with their neightbours on the size scale and those differences would even out.

But a feral Great Dane and a feral Chihuahua (there's a scary thought!) would not interbreed.

What I find interesting is that morphological differences was a barrier to natural breeding far faster than genetic differences.
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Segundo » Apr 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Segundo wrote:
Relatedly, I have come across people who think zoological classification is "wrong" and that species are "human inventions" because ring species exist and I think these people are badly mistaken.

I don't think that species are a human invention because of ring species, but they most certainly are a 'human invention' in the sense that they are a means of drawing lines in nature where lines do not exist. A species is a population at a point in time. All individuals could breed with their parent's generation back forever, so we are the ones who decide, based on morphological characteristics, what one species is and what another is. That doesn't make it 'wrong', but people should be aware of the way a species is constructed.

It as though you are putting two species concepts together there. If you consider only contemporaneous populations then species are discrete populations (in their idealized form) and not a human invention. If considering lineages over deep-time then things change, and in that case I would accept that the concept of the species is a little artificial.

EDIT: Populations which have a zero tendency to out-breed are real and not human inventions.
Segundo

Print view this post

#36  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 09, 2010 3:51 pm

Segundo wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Segundo wrote:

It as though you are putting two species concepts together there. If you consider only contemporaneous populations then species are discrete populations (in their idealized form) and not a human invention. If considering lineages over deep-time then things change, and in that case I would accept that the concept of the species is a little artificial.

EDIT: Populations which have a zero tendency to out-breed are real and not human inventions.

Your last sentence was the point I was making - we chop them arbitrarily based on a schematic that is a product of the way our mind works, not the way nature works - that doesn't eliminate its usefulness. Also, in your edit you have adopted 'populations', which are certainly real things.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#37  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 09, 2010 3:52 pm

cursuswalker wrote:And yet if humans disappeared those two breeds would not be able to interbreed. Of course it wouldn't matter as they could breed with their neightbours on the size scale and those differences would even out.

The feral Chihuahua might not partake in your disbelief! :grin:

Oh, and this is a rather explicit example of what I was talking about earlier! Anyone who has a taboo about watching inter-specie sex, avert your eyes!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TmSwF0mejg[/youtube]

The title really should read: Tiger TRIES to mate with dog, dog too sleepy to perform.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#38  Postby Agrippina » Apr 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Amazing that the tiger doesn't try to eat the dog.

I had two Maltese once when my cats were in season, they tried to do the cats, the kids thought that was funny.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#39  Postby cakrit » Apr 10, 2010 8:24 am

Since the discussion centered on dogs so much, the following was posted a couple of months ago and is very relevant. If you have little time, skip to the last couple of paragraphs describing what stray dogs in Moscow are evolving into.

http://observationsofanerd.blogspot.com/2010/01/evolution-curious-case-of-dogs.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+observationsofanerd+(Observations+of+a+Nerd)&utm_content=Google+Reader
"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed".
Jesus
cakrit

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Agrippina » Apr 10, 2010 8:54 am

cakrit wrote:Since the discussion centered on dogs so much, the following was posted a couple of months ago and is very relevant. If you have little time, skip to the last couple of paragraphs describing what stray dogs in Moscow are evolving into.

http://observationsofanerd.blogspot.com/2010/01/evolution-curious-case-of-dogs.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+observationsofanerd+(Observations+of+a+Nerd)&utm_content=Google+Reader

That is so interesting, thanks. :cheers:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection