Missing link between man and apes found

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Missing link between man and apes found

#61  Postby Steviepinhead » Apr 11, 2010 7:41 pm

Agrippina wrote:The reason I heard them give for it's not being 'homo' but rather Australopithecine is because of the arms, they're longer than they would be for 'homo.' Or rather that was one reply I heard them give there were others, but I don't remember so I won't commit myself but I do remember about the arms.

Well, here's what the paper itself has to say on this point.

Lee R. Berger, Darryl J. de Ruiter, Steven E. Churchill, Peter Schmid, Kristian J. Carlson, Paul H. G. M. Dirks, Job M. Kibii, Australopithecus sediba: A New Species of Homo-Like Australopith from South Africa, Science 9 April 2010:
Vol. 328. no. 5975, pp. 195 - 204, DOI: 10.1126/science.1184944.

Although the skull and skeleton of Au. sediba do evince derived features shared with early Homo, the overall body plan is that of a hominin at an australopith adaptive grade. This supports the argument, based on endocranial volume and craniodental morphology, that this species is most parsimoniously attributed to the genus Australopithecus.

So the major reasons for retaining sediba within Australopithecus, according to the authors, were:
1. The overall body plan remains that of a hominin at an australopith adaptive grade.
2. Endocranial volume (brain size) remained small.
3. Craniodental morphology (skull and teeth forms, as can best be seen in the photographs comparing the full-face views of the sediba skulls with those of Au. africanus and other early skulls., to which I linked earlier).

With regard to point 1, the authors say:
Postcranially, Au. sediba is similar to other australopiths in its small body size, its relatively long upper limbs with large joint surfaces, and the retention of apparently primitive characteristics in the upper and lower limbs

With regard to point 2:
The minimum cranial capacity of MH1 is estimated at 420 cm3.

On a comparative scale, the authors characterized the cranial capacity of each of the recognized Au. species -- including sediba -- as "small," of H. habilis as "intermediate, and of H. rudolfensis and H. erectus as "large." In their supplementary material (Supplementary Text S4), the authors note that:
Taxonomic diagnoses and phylogenetic interpretations are generally
based on craniodental remains, which necessitate such a focus even in taxa such as Au. sediba
that preserve a more complete representation of the skeleton. This is not to say, however, that
postcranial attributes cannot enlighten phylogenetic studies, and for these reasons the
significance of the postcranial morphology of Malapa is discussed. What is important is that the
postcranial remains support phylogenetic inferences derived from study of the craniodental
material.

Note, with regard to point 3, that the authors say:
The closest morphological comparison for Au. sediba is Au. africanus, as these taxa share numerous similarities in the cranial vault, facial skeleton, mandible, and teeth.

Also, wrt point 3, the authors note that:
...we consider Au. sediba to be more appropriately positioned within Australopithecus, based on the following craniodental features: small cranial capacity, pronounced glabelar region, patent premaxillary suture, moderate canine jugum with canine fossa, small anterior nasal spine, steeply inclined zygomaticoalveolar crest, high masseter origin, moderate development of the mesial marginal ridge of the maxillary central incisor, and relatively closely spaced premolar and molar cusps.

This is not a long article, though it is, of course, full of technical anatomical terms (some of these, at least, will be familiar to most RatSkeppers, others become obvious in context or from study of the photos and figures). It should be perfectly possible for anyone with an interest and some modest background in the area to follow the article's gist. The article is open access (you have to register with the AAAS, the American Assoc. for the Advancement of Science, but registration is free):
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/328/5975/195#T1 The supplementary discussions are also accessible online: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/328/5975/195/DC1
I would recommend the article as the starting point for informed discussion, rather than interviews, blog posts, forum discussions, and other second-hand sources. As valuable as some of the latter are -- particularly the views of other anthropologists and paleontologists such as John Hawks or laelaps -- they are all based ultimately on the published articles (there is another one about the geological and ecological context, and dating of the strata, in which the fossils were found) and the supplementary materials that accompany them.

The authors performed a careful comparison of the craniodental characters of Au. sediba with the following fossils (Supp. Text S2):
Au. afarensis. The samples attributed to Au. afarensis from Hadar, Laetoli, and the Middle
Awash were utilized. For this taxon we relied on published reports (7) and casts.
Au. africanus. The samples attributed to Au. africanus from Taung, Sterkfontein and
Makapansgat were employed. Original specimens were examined first-hand.
Au. garhi. The cranium BOU-VP-12/130 from Bouri was included, with data taken from a
published report (8).
Au. aethiopicus. The cranium KNM-WT 17000 was examined first-hand for this study.
Au. boisei. Samples from the Omo Shungura sequence, East Lake Turkana, and Olduvai Gorge
were included in this study. Original specimens from East Lake Turkana were examined firsthand,
while casts and published reports (9) were used to study the Omo and Olduvai materials.
Au. robustus. The samples from Kromdraai, Swartkrans, Sterkfontein, Drimolen, Gondolin, and
Coopers were included in this study. First-hand observations of original specimens from all
localities were used with the exception of Drimolen fossils, which were compared using
published reports (10, 11).
H. habilis. Samples from Olduvai Gorge, East Lake Turkana, the Omo Shungura sequence, and
Hadar were included in this study. Original East Lake Turkana fossils were examined first-hand,
while for the Olduvai, Omo, and Hadar materials we relied on casts and published reports (12,
13, 14). We include the following fossils in the hypodigm of H. habilis: AL 666-1, KNM-ER
1478, KNM-ER 1501, KNM-ER 1502, KNM-ER 1805, KNM-ER 1813, KNM-ER 3735, OH 4,
OH 6, OH 7, OH 13, OH 15, OH 16, OH 21, OH 24, OH 27, OH 31, OH 37, OH 39, OH 42,
OH 44, OH 45, OH 62, and OMO-L894-1.
H. rudolfensis. Samples from Olduvai Gorge, East Lake Turkana, and Lake Malawi were
included in this study. The East Lake Turkana fossils were examined first-hand, while for the
Olduvai and Lake Malawi fossils we relied on casts and published reports (15, 16). We include
the following fossils in the hypodigm of H. rudolfensis: KNM-ER 819, KNM-ER 1470, KNMER
1482, KNM-ER 1483, KNM-ER 1590, KNM-ER 1801, KNM-ER 1802, KNM-ER 3732,
KNM-ER 3891, OH 65, and UR 501.
H. erectus. Samples from Baringo, Chemeron, Dmanisi, East and West Lake Turkana, Konso,
Olduvai Gorge, Sangiran, Swartkrans, Tighenif, Trinil, and Zhoukoudian were included in this
study. In particular, the following specimens from Swartkrans are considered to represent Homo
erectus
: SK 15, SK 18a, SK 27, SK 43, SK 45, SK 68, SK 847, SK 878, SK 2635, SKW 3114,
SKX 257/258, SKX 267/2671, SKX 268, SKX 269, SKX 334, SKX 339, SKX 610, SKX 1756,
SKX 2354, SKX 2355, SKX 2356, and SKX 21204. It has been suggested (17, 18) that SK 847
and Stw 53 might represent the same taxon, and that this taxon is a currently undiagnosed
species of Homo in South Africa. However, we agree with Clarke (19, 20) that SK 847 can be
attributed to H. erectus, and that Stw 53 represents A. africanus. Since there is no clear indication
that more than one species of Homo is represented in the Swartkrans sample, we consider all this
material to belong to H. erectus. Original Baringo, Chemeron, Lake Turkana and Swartkrans
fossils were all examined first-hand, while the remainder were based on casts and published
reports (21, 22, 23, 24, 25).

Not only is this list revealing of the care taken by the authors to examine and compare all the relevant fossil material, please also note the sheer wealth of fossil material for this timeframe (not including any of the Ardi material or even earlier fossils, or erectus or other fossils from Eurasia, or archaic human (antecessor, heidelbergensis, rhodesiensis) fossils from any place or time, or neanderthal fossils, or early anatomically modern human fossils of the last couple of hundred thousand years for any place or time), for the next time you hear from some YEC apologist that the fossil support for the evolutionary picture of human ancestry could all fit in a "drawer" or a "shoebox."
Last edited by Steviepinhead on Apr 11, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steviepinhead

Print view this post

#62  Postby Gawdzilla » Apr 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Isn't saying we've found the Missing Link between man and apes rather like saying the 5 of clubs is the missing link between the deuce and king of clubs?
Chief Engineer on the Derail Express.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Tyrannical » Apr 11, 2010 7:50 pm

One thing that seems to get over looked is that by not classifying this discovery as Homo, it calls into question if some other earlier fossils should not have been classified as Homo.

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/fossils/sediba/malapa-berger-description-2010.html

John Hawks wrote:Here's the important thing. From today forward, there are a bevy of features of the face, teeth and jaw that are no longer "derived characters" of Homo.
Some people will want to fix this by broadening the definition to Homo to include the Malapa skeletons. Others will want to narrow the definition of Homo to include only large-brained specimens.
Every specimen attributed to Homo before 2 million years ago is now up for grabs. Maybe they're Homo, or maybe their resemblances to Homo are just masticatory parallelism. We already know that parallelism explains many of the derived locomotor and masticatory resemblances of great apes, and many strongly suspect that parallelism explains the derived masticatory resemblances of robust australopithecines. If the dental reduction that once was a marker of Homo joins this list, it will hardly be surprising.
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Warren Dew » Apr 12, 2010 4:57 am

Steviepinhead wrote:Are you looking at the various news reports and blog discussions, or are you working off of the papers themselves?

I was primarily working from the blogs, including especially Hawks's. Based on that information, I looked at the similarities to Homo erectus (sensu lato). It looked to me like sediba was closer in the teeth and in the hips, and that contemporaneous habilis was closer in brain size and associated skull features and in limb proportions - to the extent we believe we have limb proportion data on habilis. If they are separate species, this implies convergent evolution in two major areas, either between erectus and sediba, or between erectus and habilis. I found that less likely than the specimens being in the same species with a certain amount of intraspecific morphological variation.

That's consistent with Donald Johanson's email that's quoted in this article:

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 60581.aspx

And in fact, Johanson previously discovered a fossil that sounds somewhat like sediba - with Homo dentition but Australopithecine body proportions - which he classified it as Homo erectus:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v3 ... 205a0.html

However, on reading the "new species" sediba paper, I'm less impressed with the alleged hip similarities to erectus, and the dental features really seem to fall within the range of basically all Australopithecus and Homo except the robust Australopithecines. Ironically, reading the paper rather than just the blogs makes me more inclined to agree with the Hawks blog's view that sediba is really closest to Australopithecus Africanus. I am perhaps less charitable than he is about allowing those who make significant finds to be allowed to name their own species in the absence of otherwise convincing data, though.

I would note a couple of somewhat tangential things. First, the dental comparisons are a strong argument in favor of use of the Paranthropus genus for the robust prehuman hominins. Second, I agree with Berger that postcranial morphology is important and should play a part in classification. Third, I agree with Hawks that there's a big difference in a small amount of time between Australopithecus with the same roughly equal forelimb and hind limb lengths as Ardipithecus, and Homo erectus with much longer legs than arms, and that rapid change really needs to be explained. The relative dearth of postcranial remains for Homo habilis, in particular, needs to be addressed, and it's not clear to me that, if sediba is an australopithecine, Homo habilis even makes sense as species.

Though I'm not utterly unsympathetic to Au. habilis, there are more species, even in the early history of the genus Homo, than habilis and erectus. Whither ergaster, rhodesiensis, Dmansi, rudolfiensis, floresiensis, and others?

My takes are as follows. Ergaster is simply early Homo erectus. Rhodesiensis, even if it is a separate species, is less than 500,000 years old and has no bearing on this discussion, which is about what happened around 2,000,000 years ago. The Dmanisi georgicus find mostly serves to prove that the ranges of hominins extended well beyond Africa as of 1,800,000 years ago, but the morphology doesn't seem markedly different from African specimens from similar dates as far as I know; along with habilis and rudolfensis, it simply shows that there were creatures with brain sizes intermediate between Australopithecus and erectus, which we kind of knew anyway. I'm convinced there are at least two or three more species names than actually distinguishable species here. While floresiensis is certainly interesting, I don't know tht it has much relevance given how recent it is.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#65  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 12, 2010 5:01 am

Tyrannical wrote:One thing that seems to get over looked is that by not classifying this discovery as Homo, it calls into question if some other earlier fossils should not have been classified as Homo.

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/fossils/sediba/malapa-berger-description-2010.html

John Hawks wrote:Here's the important thing. From today forward, there are a bevy of features of the face, teeth and jaw that are no longer "derived characters" of Homo.
Some people will want to fix this by broadening the definition to Homo to include the Malapa skeletons. Others will want to narrow the definition of Homo to include only large-brained specimens.
Every specimen attributed to Homo before 2 million years ago is now up for grabs. Maybe they're Homo, or maybe their resemblances to Homo are just masticatory parallelism. We already know that parallelism explains many of the derived locomotor and masticatory resemblances of great apes, and many strongly suspect that parallelism explains the derived masticatory resemblances of robust australopithecines. If the dental reduction that once was a marker of Homo joins this list, it will hardly be surprising.

It's not really 'should not have been classified' as they were classified through the only available data. As new data has come to light, the classification might need to change to better reflect reality.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#66  Postby Warren Dew » Apr 12, 2010 10:14 pm

An interesting statement from a news source in the region:

Berger said French scientist, Dr Paul Tafforeau, based at the ESRF, suspected that the juvenile's brain was still intact.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sundaytimes/ ... -at-Cradle

I wonder if that means a fossilized brain, or actual brain tissue. The latter seems unlikely given the amount of time involved, but it would be pretty interesting if it were true.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#67  Postby Steviepinhead » Apr 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Interesting about the infant find.

I've got some additional info -- at this point, more tantalizing than definitive -- on the imagery of the "brain" of the juvenile Au. sediba, which I'll just bring over from a parallel discussion at TalkRat:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36421160/ns/technology_and_science-science/:
Remains of a 1.9-million-year-old human ancestor are so well preserved that they may contain a remnant of the male individual's brain, according to the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility in Grenoble, France, where the remains were recently examined.

While DNA is very fragile and deteriorates over time, the discovery opens up the remote possibility that soft tissue with preserved DNA still exists in the prehistoric hominid, which could hold an important place on the human family tree.

The examination also turned up what seemed to be fossilized insect eggs, according to scientists. They said larvae from the eggs could have fed on the flesh of the human ancestor, Australopithecus sediba, right after his death.

Note, however, that the remarkable thing here is the possible preservation of informative soft tissue detail for that LONG a period of time, and that no doubt is manifested as to the 1.9 Mya age attribution.
While further testing is needed, the researchers believe an "extended shadow" hints that a remnant of the brain after its bacterial decay is still present in the ancient remains.

An expert on fossil brain tissue was asked for his views on this latest aspect of the australopith discovery:
[Alan] Pradel [of Paris' National Museum of Natural History] was one of the scientists who recently discovered a 300-million-year-old fossilized brain in a now-extinct relative of a modern "ghost shark" chimaera.

"Soft tissue has fossilized in the past, but it is usually muscle and organs like kidneys because of phosphate bacteria from the gut that permeates into tissue and preserves its features," added the American Museum of Natural History's John Maisey, who worked with Pradel in identifying the chimaera brain, which is now believed to be the world's oldest fossil brain.

Back to sediba's brains:
Berger and his team are at present still analyzing the "terabytes of data" from the X-ray synchrotron examination of the hominid remains. In the future, they hope to use this process to not only reveal further information about A. sediba, but also other fossils that they have found in South Africa.
Steviepinhead

Print view this post

#68  Postby Agrippina » Apr 13, 2010 8:09 am

Interesting. :cheers:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Steviepinhead » Apr 14, 2010 9:32 pm

Warren Dew wrote:
Steviepinhead wrote:Are you looking at the various news reports and blog discussions, or are you working off of the papers themselves?

I was primarily working from the blogs, including especially Hawks's. Based on that information, I looked at the similarities to Homo erectus (sensu lato). It looked to me like sediba was closer in the teeth and in the hips, and that contemporaneous habilis was closer in brain size and associated skull features and in limb proportions - to the extent we believe we have limb proportion data on habilis. If they are separate species, this implies convergent evolution in two major areas, either between erectus and sediba, or between erectus and habilis. I found that less likely than the specimens being in the same species with a certain amount of intraspecific morphological variation.

That's consistent with Donald Johanson's email that's quoted in this article:

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 60581.aspx

And in fact, Johanson previously discovered a fossil that sounds somewhat like sediba - with Homo dentition but Australopithecine body proportions - which he classified it as Homo erectus:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v3 ... 205a0.html

However, on reading the "new species" sediba paper, I'm less impressed with the alleged hip similarities to erectus, and the dental features really seem to fall within the range of basically all Australopithecus and Homo except the robust Australopithecines. Ironically, reading the paper rather than just the blogs makes me more inclined to agree with the Hawks blog's view that sediba is really closest to Australopithecus Africanus. I am perhaps less charitable than he is about allowing those who make significant finds to be allowed to name their own species in the absence of otherwise convincing data, though.

I would note a couple of somewhat tangential things. First, the dental comparisons are a strong argument in favor of use of the Paranthropus genus for the robust prehuman hominins. Second, I agree with Berger that postcranial morphology is important and should play a part in classification. Third, I agree with Hawks that there's a big difference in a small amount of time between Australopithecus with the same roughly equal forelimb and hind limb lengths as Ardipithecus, and Homo erectus with much longer legs than arms, and that rapid change really needs to be explained. The relative dearth of postcranial remains for Homo habilis, in particular, needs to be addressed, and it's not clear to me that, if sediba is an australopithecine, Homo habilis even makes sense as species.

Well, you're a lumper, not a splitter, that's for sure. Without getting more precise about the anatomical details and metrics, and comparing the fossils at that level of detail, much of this just seems impressionistic on your part.

Which doesn't mean that you might not turn out to be correct as to some of your suppositions.

Though I'm not utterly unsympathetic to Au. habilis, there are more species, even in the early history of the genus Homo, than habilis and erectus. Whither ergaster, rhodesiensis, Dmansi, rudolfiensis, floresiensis, and others?

My takes are as follows. Ergaster is simply early Homo erectus.

That's within the range of possibility, but again impressionistic rather than rigorous.

Rhodesiensis, even if it is a separate species, is less than 500,000 years old and has no bearing on this discussion, which is about what happened around 2,000,000 years ago.

Well, fair enough, as to the dating.
The Dmanisi georgicus find mostly serves to prove that the ranges of hominins extended well beyond Africa as of 1,800,000 years ago,

Again, fair enough, as to the dating and the geological locus, though not all scholars would lump Dmansi in with erectus.
but the morphology doesn't seem markedly different from African specimens from similar dates as far as I know;

More impressionism.
along with habilis and rudolfensis, it simply shows that there were creatures with brain sizes intermediate between Australopithecus and erectus, which we kind of knew anyway.

That's hardly the only difference in morphology between these various species. You seem to want to focus on only the features of interest to you; scientists don't have that luxury, but must explain all the data.
I'm convinced there are at least two or three more species names than actually distinguishable species here.

Again, you may turn out to be right, but without any sort of detailed metric as to why, any correctness of this prediction would be purely coincidental.
While floresiensis is certainly interesting, I don't know tht it has much relevance given how recent it is.
The dated finds are recent, true, although the stone tools are very much older and, in any event, it is the branching or divergence date on the phylogenies which supports discussing floresiensis in with this ~2.000,000 lot of fossils, since floresiensis appears to have a suite of character traits which places it at or near this same cusp between australopithecine and earliest Homo.
Steviepinhead

Print view this post

#70  Postby Sityl » Apr 14, 2010 9:39 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ_WeLi09p0[/youtube]
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Warren Dew » Apr 14, 2010 10:13 pm

Steviepinhead wrote:Well, you're a lumper, not a splitter, that's for sure. Without getting more precise about the anatomical details and metrics, and comparing the fossils at that level of detail, much of this just seems impressionistic on your part.

I'll certainly admit to being more of a lumper than most of the people discovering the fossils - though i will note that I do want to split Paranthropus off. I didn't provide much detail mostly due to the number of examples and lack of time; I'd be happy to discuss more specifics on individual cases that people are interested in.

The Dmanisi georgicus find mostly serves to prove that the ranges of hominins extended well beyond Africa as of 1,800,000 years ago,

Again, fair enough, as to the dating and the geological locus, though not all scholars would lump Dmansi in with erectus.

To clarify my position on that, I don't have a strong opinion on whether they are erectus, or even whether they are Homo. I'd actually prefer to see substantial postcranial remains before classifying them. I don't think there's any argument that they are Hominini and are found outside of Africa, though.

but the morphology doesn't seem markedly different from African specimens from similar dates as far as I know;

More impressionism.

I'd be interested in arguments to the contrary.

While floresiensis is certainly interesting, I don't know tht it has much relevance given how recent it is.
The dated finds are recent, true, although the stone tools are very much older and, in any event, it is the branching or divergence date on the phylogenies which supports discussing floresiensis in with this ~2.000,000 lot of fossils, since floresiensis appears to have a suite of character traits which places it at or near this same cusp between australopithecine and earliest Homo.

I've seen that argument, and if true, I agree it would be very interesting and relevant, as it would show that pre-erectus hominins dispersed very widely around the world. That would then raise the question of whether erectus arose in one location and displaced the others - and from where it arose - or whether erectus represents evolution of a single species across a broad range.

I don't find that argument conclusive yet, though. If floresiensis is descended from a late Australopithecine, I would expect to find others so descended in other locations far from Africa, for example in south Asia. Those finds may yet be made, but we haven't found them yet.

Do you have reasons to believe that floresiensis branched that late, rather than, say, being island dwarfed erectus? If so, I'd be interested in seeing them.
Warren Dew

Male

Print view this post

#72  Postby Steviepinhead » Apr 15, 2010 1:04 am

Warren Dew:
I'd be happy to discuss more specifics on individual cases that people are interested in.

It's beginning to look to me like we may be the last two standing who would be interested in that level of detail. :popcorn: At the moment, the detailed cross-species comparison by the Au. sediba describers -- and I went over the degree to which they took their work earlier in the thread, at the top of p. 7 -- seems to me to be as persuasive as anything two interested laymen such as ourselves might attempt. If Johanson and others come back with a rebuttal at a similar level of detail in the published literature, then I'll get more excited about the sniping.

As to Dmanisi, or H. georgicus, or whatever, they seem to fall out as distinct from H. erectus on the phylogenies I posted up earlier in the thread, at the bottom of p. 5, in which the first of the two phylogenies collects ergaster and dmanisi on a separate branch from full-fledged erectus. But, hey, those folks could be splitters, too!

Re hobbits:
I don't find that argument conclusive yet, though. If floresiensis is descended from a late Australopithecine, I would expect to find others so descended in other locations far from Africa, for example in south Asia. Those finds may yet be made, but we haven't found them yet.

Or they may be island-dwarfed descendants of erectus-grade hominins, as was first suggested. Again, though, the phylogenetic analyses seem to be moving them slightly further back.

I'm not sure I'd read a whole lot into lack of fossils, but if some late australopiths made it out of Africa, their small body-size would almost have dictated a very southern route into Southeast Asia (for thermoregulatory reasons, it has been suggested). So we could have a "where was the sea level at the critical time" problem. They would seemingly have needed some help from lowered sea levels to get where they have been found, though they may have needed some tree-rafting to get all the way...

Whether they would have left subpopulations en route, who knows! We'd certainly expect that of more recent hominins, but australopiths may not have been such generalists.

Or maybe H. erectus simply displaced them, before the H. floresiensis populations were established long-enough in numbers high enough to yield probable fossils.
Steviepinhead

Print view this post

#73  Postby ginckgo » Apr 15, 2010 3:04 am

num1cubfn wrote:While I applaud this, I have two responses.

1)Everything is a link between some 2 other things, and

This is only partly true.

2)All this did was make two more "gaps".

This is BS.
Cape illud, fracturor

Mystical explanations are thought to be deep; the truth is that they are not even shallow. Nietzsche
ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#74  Postby katja z » Apr 15, 2010 8:38 am

Steviepinhead wrote:Warren Dew:
I'd be happy to discuss more specifics on individual cases that people are interested in.

It's beginning to look to me like we may be the last two standing who would be interested in that level of detail. :popcorn:

You're not. It's just that some of us who are very interested aren't as well informed as you, so we limit ourselves to lurking and learning. But I can post some silly questions from time to time if that would make you feel less alone :grin:
:coffee:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Agrippina » Apr 15, 2010 8:48 am

katja z wrote:

It's beginning to look to me like we may be the last two standing who would be interested in that level of detail. :popcorn:

You're not. It's just that some of us who are very interested aren't as well informed as you, so we limit ourselves to lurking and learning. But I can post some silly questions from time to time if that would make you feel less alone :grin:

Yes I agree.

What i would like to see, is a simple, description of the various human species over time, without all the scientific jargon that i basically don't understand and don't have the time to learn. You two seem to seem to know what you're talking about so explain to it me nicely, the way that Steviepinhead explained the other thread to me, now I get what everybody's talking about i can ask intelligent questions instead of making knee-jerk reaction comments. Please do that, what were the first homonims? and where to from there to modern man. :cheers:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#76  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 15, 2010 10:26 am

Agrippina wrote:
katja z wrote:

Yes I agree.

What i would like to see, is a simple, description of the various human species over time, without all the scientific jargon that i basically don't understand and don't have the time to learn. You two seem to seem to know what you're talking about so explain to it me nicely, the way that Steviepinhead explained the other thread to me, now I get what everybody's talking about i can ask intelligent questions instead of making knee-jerk reaction comments. Please do that, what were the first homonims? and where to from there to modern man. :cheers:

I've actually been spending my (at present very limited) spare time to collate together all the finds we know in order to present them as one coherent thread in the Anthropology subforum, with commentary, pictures and resources.

Unfortunately, with a number of seminars on the cards, classes to prepare, scripts to write, voice acting jobs, a book to research, and Bangkok being under siege from nutters.... it is taking a bloody long time. At current rate, I might possibly have it finished by the end of the year! :grin:

I will be sure to let you know when I am done.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#77  Postby Agrippina » Apr 15, 2010 10:50 am

Ah Spearthrower, I understand that will be wonderful, thank you! :cheers:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#78  Postby The_Piper » Apr 15, 2010 11:38 am

:coffee: :smoke: :popcorn:
I've been lurking this thread every day. :smile:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Agrippina » Apr 15, 2010 11:46 am

The_Piper wrote::coffee: :smoke: :popcorn:

It's very interesting. I hope that these scientists reveal more of their finds soon. They say they found a lot of skeletons there, so it will be fun. My son works quite closely with the university. The next time I'm in Joh'burg I'm going to ask him to take me to see them. :cheers:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#80  Postby The_Piper » Apr 15, 2010 12:18 pm

Agrippina wrote:
The_Piper wrote::coffee: :smoke: :popcorn:

It's very interesting. I hope that these scientists reveal more of their finds soon. They say they found a lot of skeletons there, so it will be fun. My son works quite closely with the university. The next time I'm in Joh'burg I'm going to ask him to take me to see them. :cheers:

That would be awesome. Maybe you could bring the camera! :cheers:
This web page gives a quick description of species, it's good for the layperson like myself. In case anyone else hasn't seen it yet.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/species.html
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection