Oxygen ? No thanks I'm fine ....

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Oxygen ? No thanks I'm fine ....

#1  Postby Macdoc » Feb 25, 2020 11:12 pm

:what:

Scientists Find The First-Ever Animal That Doesn't Need Oxygen to Survive
MICHELLE STARR 25 FEB 2020
Some truths about the Universe and our experience in it seem immutable. The sky is up. Gravity sucks. Nothing can travel faster than light. Multicellular life needs oxygen to live. Except we might need to rethink that last one.
Scientists have just discovered that a jellyfish-like parasite doesn't have a mitochondrial genome - the first multicellular organism known to have this absence. That means it doesn't breathe; in fact, it lives its life completely free of oxygen dependency.

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-is-th ... ource=digg
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Oxygen ? No thanks I'm fine ....

#2  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Feb 26, 2020 12:01 am

This has to give exobiologist a rush! Well, not just them. Some majorly important stuff!

Bravo Macdoc.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 26, 2020 2:23 pm

Um, no.

Life on earth originated in an anoxic environment. The concentration of oxygen in the atmosphere (let alone, in the marine environment) was quite low until the evolution of photosynthetic bacteria. Read about the Great Oxidation Event:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxidation_Event
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Placebo Domingo
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#4  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Feb 26, 2020 2:56 pm

:lol:

No shit, Cito? I never heard that before. (eyeroll). It’s a good thing you came along and told me about an event in earth history I’ve studied extensively, and examined first hand via stromatolites and iron banding in pre-Cambrian formations.

Why doesn’t this discovery serve to advocate for the possibility of complex life arising in an alien environment devoid of oxygen? Perhaps you need to familiarize yourself with the term “EXOBIOLOGY”, while missing my point by a light year, yet feeling the need to pointlessly pontificate.

Seriously, Cito, do you not know who you are addressing, or do you actually think you stand in a position to educate me about earth history? Frankly, you couldn’t have picked a worse target for your “help”, nor exposed your lack of reading comprehension more deeply had you spent months trying.

Want to rethink that throw away post of yours, or will you refuse to admit any error whatsoever?

RS
theropod_V_2.0

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby TopCat » Feb 26, 2020 3:20 pm

theropod_V_2.0 wrote:Seriously, Cito, do you not know who you are addressing

"Do you not know whom you are addressing", please, if you're going to be all high and mighty. :whistle:

Much as I often roll my own eyes at the fact that 99% of Cito's contributions here seem to be mocking or ridiculing, I'd prefer (for the little it's worth) to read a comprehensive take down of the ideas, rather than have to read yet more personal attacks.

Anyway, who are you? :thumbup:
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Feb 26, 2020 3:43 pm

No, grammar nazism doesn’t count, and you might want to reconsider the “high and mighty” bullshit in light of the fact that Cito screwed up like a boss. If, in your opinion, correcting an error counts as coming off as “high and mighty” I think I can find a way to muddle through life. It will be a challenge, but I think I’m up for it.

Oh, I am just an old idiot that was here from the founding of this forum, served as a mod and am a retired paleontologist. Apparently neither of you feel the need to stop for a moment, read the “New Members” thread or make the tiny mental connections needed to figure out my identity. Frankly, I find it downright amusing that either of you would try this shit with me.

Point out a personal attack in my post. You can’t because no such thing exists, and both of us know it. If you feel I’m wrong report my post, and stop attempting to moderate in the open forum. I know the mod team is spread thin these days, but the report button is still functional, and reports are addressed. So, check your shit.

Oh, and if you don’t want to read my posts I suggest you don’t read my posts. I don’t give a flying fuck one way or another.

RA
theropod_V_2.0

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Feb 26, 2020 10:05 pm

OK, here’s why this should be a big hit with exobiologist. Up until now there was no, zero nadda shred of evidence that anaerobic organisms could, or did, develop complex multicellular organisms here on earth. Don’t even try to bring colonial forms into the conversation. Those colonies are not what is under discussion here. Now we have an example that establishes such is an empirical reality. Since we now know of just such an example arising here, the possibility of nature repeating, or expanding upon, this type of anaerobic life form on an alien world is no longer an exercise in mental gymnastics. If it happened here it could happen many other places, and exobiologist now have a working example “in hand” they did not have before. The mere idea of such an anaerobic organism was, until now, pure conjecture. Unless one chooses to assert that complex life is limited to earth this is a paradigm shift.

If my detractors can’t, or won’t, see how this is a major spark in the study of life not just here on earth, but across the universe, I am no worse for wear. However it is, and will be.

Now, let’s wait for the reactions, and see what we see.

RS
theropod_V_2.0

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 26, 2020 10:50 pm

From the article linked in the OP:

Over many, many years, they have basically devolved from a free-living jellyfish ancestor into the much more simple parasite we see today.

They've lost most of the original jellyfish genome, but retaining - oddly - a complex structure resembling jellyfish stinging cells. They don't use these to sting, but to cling to their hosts: an evolutionary adaptation from the free-living jellyfish's needs to the parasite's. You can see them in the image above - they're the things that look like eyes.

This informs me (at least) that this form evolved from preexisting aerobic multi-cellular forms. This is not (do correct me if I'm wrong) any evidence that multicellular anaerobic forms evolve independently of aerobic organisms. That's what the "umm, no" is about. I apologize profusely for not making sure to recognize explicitly your vaunted expertise in paleontology; you can take it as my recognition that you're more than capable of tooting your own horn.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Placebo Domingo
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#9  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Feb 26, 2020 11:26 pm

What a round about way of being as obtuse as possible. Well done, Cito. Looks like I called it.

Your “informing” me of the oxidation event was what, exactly, besides trying to come off as lecturing? It appeared you felt I had no idea such a thing ever happened. If you wanted to use your latest position, which looks to be formulated post facto, why didn’t you mount it to begin with? Couldn’t be that you went back and actually read the article and then came up with this could it? What you just did was, and is, a bait and switch. Keep up the great work!

You came off as a pompous ass, didn’t know your target and doubled down by formulating a whole new position from the first one. So, your “umm no” bullshit followed by a link to a first year geology issue really does highlight your lack of consistency. If you were not attempting to say these organisms arose during the pre-Cambrian why link to that epoch? I don’t care if you own it or not. What’s done is done, and your entire response to my post was a knee jerk reaction on your part. You got caught using sophomoric tactics with someone you didn’t recognize, and now you want to play games. Not interested. Have all the last words you like, as continuing this is pointless.

RS
theropod_V_2.0

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby romansh » Feb 29, 2020 9:19 pm

Does not need oxygen to survive? Perhaps it should read does not need molecular oxygen?

It seems like the article is speculating that that the metabolism abstracts oxygen from the phosphate in adenosine as the electron acceptor. If it is not oxygen then what is it? Other anaerobic single cell life forms get their electron donor from sulphate or even water.

But it is neat, a multicellular organism not using molecular oxygen as its electron acceptor.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection