Subject: The biology of the vertebrate eye

This tricky subject causes much confusion among atheists

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Subject: The biology of the vertebrate eye

#161  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Sendraks wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
You shouldn't do yourself down so, Sendraks.

In that context of what I wrote, this makes no sense.

DavidMcC wrote: Of course TE's posts here are irrelevant - irrelevant to the biology and evolution of the vertebrate eye -which he hasn't yet mentioned in his posts. :roll:

The same can be said about a great many posts you make but, you seem happy to argue the toss about your imagined slights and yet when faced with TE's neat dissections of the failings of your comments, his posts magically become "irrelevant."

DavidMcC wrote:Can you tell me what I said in the past that got you so angry, and siding with his irrationality?

I'm angry? :think:

Also, your responses to TE's posts are irrational, not the posts themselves.

Nonsense. He seems to make an effort to avoid the thread topic, as do you. And, in this thread at least, I never go off-topic myself, that is done by my interlocutors, who readily change the subject from the biology of the vertebrate eye. When did YOU last post on the biology of the vertebrate eye here??
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#162  Postby newolder » Jul 24, 2018 3:47 pm

DavidMcC wrote:...snip trolling... here is a link to an important diagram that is key to understanding the longevity of the surface vertebrate eye:
http://webvision.med.utah.edu/imageswv/photphag.jpeg

The photoreceptor outer segments at stage 1 appear to get sliced into phagosomes in stages 2 to 5 that are then incorporated into the pigment epithelium at stage 6. How is this a "key to understanding the longevity of the surface vertebrate eye" ?
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#163  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 24, 2018 3:53 pm

newolder wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:...snip trolling... here is a link to an important diagram that is key to understanding the longevity of the surface vertebrate eye:

The photoreceptor outer segments at stage 1 appear to get sliced into phagosomes in stages 2 to 5 that are then incorporated into the pigment epithelium at stage 6. How is this a "key to understanding the longevity of the surface vertebrate eye" ?

No, newolder, the slices of the rod photoreceptors are being digested, because they are being passed into the blood stream from the RPE cells. I thought it was obvious from the diagram alone, but you could read the associated article. I will find a link to it.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#164  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Last edited by DavidMcC on Jul 24, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#165  Postby newolder » Jul 24, 2018 3:56 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
newolder wrote:

No, newolder, the slices of the rod photoreceptors are being digested, because they are being passed into the blood stream from the RPE cells. I thought it was obvious from the diagram alone, but you could read the associated article. I will find a link to it.

There is no mention of digestion in that image. How would auto-cannibalism be a key to longevity? :scratch:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#166  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 24, 2018 3:59 pm

Newolder, you were too quick; Look again at my most recent post,164.
Also, it should be noted that new opsin discs are being generated at the front end while old ones are digested at the back end. Hence there is a continuous flow of opsin discs through the cell.
Last edited by DavidMcC on Jul 24, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#167  Postby newolder » Jul 24, 2018 4:03 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Newolder, you were too quick; Look again at my most recent post.

I have, thanks. That now appears to be a couple of links. Could you summarise in your own words how auto-cannibalism is a key to understanding the longevity of the surface vertebrate eye? :coffee:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#168  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 24, 2018 4:09 pm

newolder wrote:

I have, thanks. That now appears to be a couple of links. Could you summarise in your own words how auto-cannibalism is a key to understanding the longevity of the surface vertebrate eye? :coffee:

Sure (actually I did years ago on this site, but it's lost in the years and thousands of posts and lack of a search engine!
As I have already said in this somewhat disjointed conversation, the cannibalism is only half the process of opsin disc replacement - new discs (with new opsin molecules) are constantly being made at the front end of the cell.

Yours are the sort of intelligent questions that TE and Sendraks should have asked, but didn't.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#169  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 24, 2018 4:51 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Anyway, ignoring TE's irrelevant wibble,

I see 'to ignore' is yet another verb you don't understand.
Hint: it doesn't mean mentioning the very thing you're supposed to be ignoring and criticising it while you do so.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#170  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 24, 2018 4:54 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Sendraks wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:Anyway, ignoring TE's irrelevant wibble,

Yes, amazingly convenient that you get things back on topic when Thomas where he points out the numerous problems with your comments and also dismiss what he says as "irrelevant wibble."

Pray tell, who is the audience you're trying to convince that what Thomas said is "irrelevant wibble"? Unless you can demonstrate otherwise, audience is you and you alone.

Hey, what a surprise. more personalised trolling. :roll:

DavidMcC wrote: Of course TE's posts here are irrelevant - irrelevant to the biology and evolution of the vertebrate eye -which he hasn't yet mentioned in his posts. :roll:

Still haven't looked in that mirror eh? :roll:

DavidMcC wrote:Can you tell me what I said in the past that got you so angry, and siding with his irrationality?

Can you tell me why you keep beating your wife David?

Also, just to mention: the biology and evolution of the vertebrate eye.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#171  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 24, 2018 4:57 pm

DavidMcC wrote:Sendraks, I'm sorry to see that you share TE's propensity for driving the topic way off, and even go so far as to praise him for it!

You're the only one who can deal with your delusions David.

DavidMcC wrote:You are just like TE, with his "provoke David at all costs" attitude.

Ah ,back to the unsubstantiated accusations. :roll:

Also: the biology of the vertebrate eye.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#172  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 24, 2018 5:00 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Sendraks wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

In that context of what I wrote, this makes no sense.

The same can be said about a great many posts you make but, you seem happy to argue the toss about your imagined slights and yet when faced with TE's neat dissections of the failings of your comments, his posts magically become "irrelevant."

I'm angry? :think:

Also, your responses to TE's posts are irrational, not the posts themselves.

Nonsense.

Then stop adressing delusional straw-men and start adressing what people actually post.

DavidMcC wrote: He seems to make an effort to avoid the thread topic, as do you.

Still counterfactual and hypocritical bullshit David, no matter how many times you mindlessly regurgitate it.

DavidMcC wrote: And, in this thread at least, I never go off-topic myself

Another demonstration of profound dishonesty or delusional observations.

DavidMcC wrote:that is done by my interlocutors, who readily change the subject from the biology of the vertebrate eye. When did YOU last post on the biology of the vertebrate eye here??

When will you stop beating your wife David?

Also: The biology of the vertebrate eye
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#173  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 24, 2018 5:04 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
newolder wrote:

Sure (actually I did years ago on this site, but it's lost in the years and thousands of posts and lack of a search engine!

Why do you persist in these transparent lies David? Not only does this site have a search engine, you can use google to search for posts as well.

DavidMcC wrote:As I have already said in this somewhat disjointed conversation,

If you hadn't derailed things by making things personal, this conversation would be far less disjointed David.

DavidMcC wrote:
Yours are the sort of intelligent questions that TE and Sendraks should have asked, but didn't.

Fortunately reality does not operate based on your demands or idiosyncratic notions of what one should post. :roll:

Also: The biology of the vertebrate eye
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#174  Postby newolder » Jul 24, 2018 6:28 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
newolder wrote:

There is a site search and other search engines work too, I read. I look forward to you posting the relevant forum link...
As I have already said in this somewhat disjointed conversation, the cannibalism is only half the process of opsin disc replacement - new discs (with new opsin molecules) are constantly being made at the front end of the cell.

One would have expected such a process to be included on the key diagram. Heigh ho.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#175  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 27, 2018 11:10 am

newolder wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
newolder wrote:

There is a site search and other search engines work too, I read. I look forward to you posting the relevant forum link...
There may be for you, but not for me, newolder. I suspect that that "privelege" was withdrawn from me some time ago, after I was critical of the mods about something. At least I now know that others still have a search facility, though.

One would have expected such a process to be included on the key diagram. Heigh ho.

Well, maybe, but there is nothing much to see in the stills, becuse new discs just seem to appear at the front end. Somewhere on the internet, there may be a video of it, which would make it clear what happens.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#176  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 27, 2018 11:17 am

DavidMcC wrote:
newolder wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
newolder wrote:

There may be for you, but not for me, newolder. I suspect that that "privelege" was withdrawn from me some time ago, after I was critical of the mods about something.

Sure David, sure. :crazy: :roll:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#177  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 27, 2018 11:19 am

DavidMcC wrote:There may be for you, but not for me, newolder. I suspect that that "privelege" was withdrawn from me some time ago, after I was critical of the mods about something. At least I now know that others still have a search facility, though.

Nah, David. The search function box and link to the advanced search is present in the banner at the top of every page you load as long as you are logged in and are using a browser that handles scripts. I think you're merely confused about this, rather than actively lying about it.

It's almost painful to watch you trying to shed responsibility for some of the nonsensical claims you make about what the mods are doing to you behind your back.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#178  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 27, 2018 11:22 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:There may be for you, but not for me, newolder. I suspect that that "privelege" was withdrawn from me some time ago, after I was critical of the mods about something. At least I now know that others still have a search facility, though.

Nah, David. The search function box and link to the advanced search is present in the banner at the top of every page you load as long as you are logged in and are using a browser that handles scripts. I think you're merely confused about this, rather than actively lying about it.

It's almost painful to watch you trying to shed responsibility for some of the nonsensical claims you make.

Ah, so it is. Sorry! :oops:
I guess it's been too long since I needed it.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#179  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 27, 2018 11:29 am

DavidMcC wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

It's almost painful to watch you trying to shed responsibility for some of the nonsensical claims you make.

Ah, so it is. Sorry! :oops:
I guess it's been too long since I needed it.

I respect your reluctance to use the search facility to look for posts that never existed.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#180  Postby newolder » Jul 27, 2018 11:33 am

DavidMcC wrote:
newolder wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
newolder wrote:

There may be for you, but not for me, newolder. I suspect that that "privelege" was withdrawn from me some time ago, after I was critical of the mods about something. At least I now know that others still have a search facility, though.

It's not a privilege, David, it's a function of the forum available after logging in. Even so, have you tried using an external, commercial search engine?

Well, maybe, but there is nothing much to see in the stills, becuse new discs just seem to appear at the front end. Somewhere on the internet, there may be a video of it, which would make it clear what happens.

It's a crucial part of the process that can be understood to lead to "longevity" but never mind...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection