The gene's still selfish

Dawkins' famous idea turns 40

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

The gene's still selfish

#1  Postby DougC » May 25, 2016 1:05 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36358104

B.B.C. Article
As The Selfish Gene notches up 40 years in print, BBC News asked Richard Dawkins whether his most famous book is relevant today (answer: yes), whether he has any regrets about public spats over religion (no), and whether he is quitting Twitter (sort of).
"I'd so much rather talk about this than about politics."
This, from a thinker most famous as a fearless firebrand, sounds rather incongruous. But as Prof Dawkins hunches over his laptop to dig up examples of biomorphs - the computer-generated "creatures" he conceived in the 1980s to illustrate artificial selection - it is transparently, genuinely felt.
Later, we touch on the fact that he sees public debate as a scientist's responsibility. Right now, he wants to talk about molluscs.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The gene's still selfish

#2  Postby tuco » May 25, 2016 4:51 am

"I've stepped back," Prof Dawkins says. "I haven't written any more books along those lines. The God Delusion is a one-off. Not one that I'm ashamed of; I'm very proud of it. But it's a one-off."

Very off.

"I'm going to sponsor Verraux's sifaka - the lemur that dances with its hands in the air."

Very on.
tuco

Print view this post

Re: The gene's still selfish

#3  Postby crank » May 25, 2016 6:21 am

Didn't Dawkins always credit John Conway and his Game of Life for the biomorphs?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection