Treasure trove of fossils from the Dino killer DAY!!!

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Treasure trove of fossils from the Dino killer DAY!!!

#1  Postby Macdoc » Apr 01, 2019 2:39 pm

Hoping this is not an April Fools item

Found: fossil 'mother lode' created by asteroid that wiped out dinosaurs
US researchers reveal haul of perfectly preserved fossils dating back to Chicxulub impact that wiped out most of Earth’s life
Agence France-Presse
Mon 1 Apr 2019 03.23 BST Last modified on Mon 1 Apr 2019 04.13 BST

A perfectly preserved 66m-year-old fish fossil uncovered by Univedrsity of Kansas researchers, revealing life on the day a huge asteroid hit the Earth.

Scientists in the US say they have discovered the fossilised remains of a mass of creatures that died minutes after a huge asteroid hit the Earth 66m years ago, sealing the fate of the dinosaurs.

In a paper to be published on Monday, a team of paleontologists at the University of Kansas say they found a “mother lode of exquisitely preserved animal and fish fossils” in what is now North Dakota.

The asteroid’s impact – creating the Chicxulub crater in what is now Mexico – was the most cataclysmic event in Earth’s history, eradicating 75% of the planet’s animal and plant species, extinguishing the dinosaurs and paving the way for the rise of humans.

Researchers believe the impact set off fast-moving, seismic surges that triggered a sudden, massive torrent of water and debris from an arm of an inland sea known as the Western Interior Seaway.

At the fossil site – called Tanis in North Dakota’s Hell Creek Formation – the surge left “a tangled mass of freshwater fish, terrestrial vertebrates, trees, branches, logs, marine ammonites and other marine creatures”, according to Robert DePalma, the report’s lead author.

Some of the fish fossils were found to have inhaled “ejecta” associated with the Chicxulub event, suggesting seismic surges reached North Dakota within “tens of minutes”, he said.

more
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... -dinosaurs
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Treasure trove of fossils from the Dino killer DAY!!!

#2  Postby felltoearth » Apr 01, 2019 4:20 pm

Totally exciting. I was wondering if Theropod knew any of the folks involved as he spent time working in the area.

There’s a really good article I linked to from the New Yorker in another thread (the end of the world one I think.) I “dig it up” and link it here.

ETA: It was in the "Back to the Moon" thread. Reposting here due to relevance.

The Day the Dinosaurs Died
Last edited by felltoearth on Apr 01, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Evolving » Apr 01, 2019 4:21 pm

I read that too (the New Yorker emails me each time it issues an issue and allows me to read four articles a month without charge). Fascinating.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#4  Postby theropod » Apr 01, 2019 11:27 pm

No, I don’t know the workers, and it is exactly the same geological formation where I also worked.

I am currently attempting to contact the lead author concerning the concentrations of mass mortality sites within the Hell Creek, and if storm driven events that formed them were seasonal. If so this would denote an environmental migration expressed as herd movement that coincided with storm season.

To the point of this work:
While we saw no such preserved diversity in our efforts we did see evidence of sudden upheaval in the environment.

No doubt this will cause all sorts of gnashing of teeth, but that’s a good thing.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Macdoc » Apr 02, 2019 5:10 am

No doubt this will cause all sorts of gnashing of teeth,

interesting choice of words over a sudden extinction event ;)
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby theropod » Apr 03, 2019 1:33 pm

After reviewing the full papaer, and taking note of the contributors therein, I doubt I will be contacting any of them. Suffice it to say at least one of those said contributors played a part in my resignation of my position as executive director. Oh the tangled web indeed. There is also a back story to this “discovery” concerning when, where and who, and it doesn’t involve any of the current players. While I do indeed miss working in the Hell Creek I do not miss the backstabbing and cutthroat tactics so common in the area. It seems another scandal arises every year. Sigh.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection