U of Waterloo researchers develop AI to identify virus mutations ahead of time

The accumulation of small heritable changes within populations over time.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

U of Waterloo researchers develop AI to identify virus mutations ahead of time

#1  Postby felltoearth » Nov 04, 2021 8:40 pm

Name the Theory that is the basis of this development. I’ll give you three guesses and two don’t count.

Sorry, fundies. Evolution is real.

University of Waterloo researchers develop AI to identify virus mutations ahead of time
WATERLOO — Two variants of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, were at the root of overcrowded hospitals and stricter public health guidelines earlier in the year.

With the spread of these variants, it was a question of how they would impact vaccine efficacy.

What if we had a technology that could identify mutations before they even occur?

A team of three researchers at the University of Waterloo have developed an artificial intelligence technology that can detect the most likely mutations in a virus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: U of Waterloo researchers develop AI to identify virus mutations ahead of ti

#2  Postby Greg the Grouper » Nov 04, 2021 8:51 pm

Okay, but what about divine inspiration?

To be serious, though, I have a hard time wrapping my head around this. I guess it's just possible to discern the likelihood of a mutation resulting on change X versus change Y? Is it just based on trends in viral evolution?

I dunno, this stuff's over my head. Sounds really cool, though. Probably gonna have at least one person take it as proof of the plandemic or something.
Greg the Grouper

Name: Patrick

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Evolution & Natural Selection