4k TV arrives at MacDocs

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 4k TV arrives at MacDocs

#41  Postby monkeyboy » Nov 13, 2016 9:24 am

OK, so some of us do just use a TV to slob on the sofa and watch regular stuff and films. My old TV is a basic early, pretty HD 32" flat screen Samsung. It has no USB slots and only 2 hdmi plugs, the back is a mess of adapters and extra leads to accommodate tech. It still works and will likely be put to bedroom duties.
My question is, what to get to replace it. I'm sure I'm missing out of viewing quality. I don't need to be lashing out cash on something without longevity or something I'm going to need overpriced subscription channels for. Just decent quality that's going to last and bigger. UHD or 4K seems the way but what? Every other review I read goes the opposite way.

Up to £800 or so max and aiming for around 50"
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Macdoc » Dec 18, 2016 11:50 pm

You are getting near on OLED prices and I'd certainly not drop that on any LED Smart TV with OLED so near. That said there are some intensely bright LED sets that are brighter that the OLED by a good factor but they simply cannot come close to the blacks.

Seeing quite good 40-48" Smart 4k TVs from name brands like Samsung down to $500 US.

If you cannot wait for OLED ....you won't go wrong with Panasonic ...very reliable, always good value for money

OR consider this £600 Panasonic 4K, HDR TV

There are lots of great TV deals around, and while the Panasonic might not be the best overall television, it combines great performance and a modest price. Featuring 50 inches of high-quality 4K, HDR capable screen, the Panasonic 700B family was also picked as one of the best TV’s you can get if you’re looking to get a PS4 Pro or Xbox One. No, it’s not as good as the extremely impressive Samsung KS7000 series – but for £300 less and with 1 inch more screen, it’s an incredible deal.

55" is a good size....can be used as both a computer monitor and decent TV depending on your workspace.

You are still £1,000 below OLED
Best OLED TV deal - save £700 on this LG OLED55B6V & SOUNDBAR

LG OLED TV HDR
Richer Sounds are offering this 55" LG OLED55B6V for £1898 - that's £700 under the normal retail price. And if that wasn't enough, they're also throwing in a free soundbar to really complete your home cinema experience. Yes, it is on the more expensive side of things, but you really are buying the latest in screen technology.

This is a useful guide combining FOV with distance for type. Turns out I was just in the minimum for the 55" OLED I was using.

You can move within 3' and still be optimum for FOV and out as far as 6.5'. with a 50-55"

For anyone with a hidef screen ( 2k and above )...be it iPad or Retina or some of the PCs or a 4k monitor or a 4k TV ...this is visual candy big time

show off your screens....and this is the quality you want to aim for with your photos as well. It is all going 4k. ( and 5k )

try this

https://www.4kdownload.com/download

then just search on 4k on youtube

here some I like

and this incredible ….3 hours in a meadow around Mt St. Helens ….just lovely

paste the link into the app

there are lots out there now combination of sound and visual delight is awesome....post up the ones you find.

The serious downside of so much 4k content available....512 hard drive is just too small for my photos and the eye candy. Guess I will just have to break out the machine sitting behind me with the 1 TB Flash ......

The manufacturers have sample clips out - this volcano is awesome in 4k ....or 2k for that matter.

then there is 8K :whine: :what: :coffee:

Some of my clients are shooting 5k and 8k......more storage sales for me.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Macdoc » Jan 02, 2017 12:56 am

LG 29" UltraWide is a seductive beast. a full 2500 wide by 1080

Premium IPS Panel with 99% Adobe accuracy and well priced in the $4-500.

Speakers are decent and it's an easy plug and play. Gives very good lateral workspace..really nice for spreadsheet and extremely nice for HD definition wide screen videos. Plug and play for more current laptops. Was watching my travel photos on it and while impressed with the colour and the blacks, it sure played up the difference with the Dell 4k beside it.
The blacks are surprising good on the LG but it's the detail that is missing ....frustrating as it's "almost there".
I never quite get lost in the horizon and the detail compared to the 4k.

As extended workspace in a small footprint the curved screen works well and it's just at eye level in an office chair. Could use a vertical adjustment.

I'd love to see one of LG UltraFines in this format as it's so nice for videos and wide text without the massive presence of a 27"....and this is even wider but not so tall.

If you are on a 24" monitor budget this 29" might be a nice treat. Pretty impressed with LG but the 1 year warranty against the Dell 3 years is a put off.
Still an interesting format and would like to see a higher definition version. Would be a low cost treat for anyone into wide screen games or Flight SImms. A pair of these and you are very immersed.
This is the second curved screen I've had and I must admit I like the form factor even if the detail is not up to the 4k monitors flanking it.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Macdoc » Jan 13, 2017 10:29 am

This is a good demo of the screen tech

and that was last year !!!!!

and LGs vision of OLED may surprise you

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Macdoc » Nov 03, 2017 7:27 pm

Thought about waiting for OLED to drop another notch but for the grand sum of $359 US shipped with 3 year warranty ....I can't buy a 4k monitor for that price ...

While the new TCL 49S405 4K TV is not 48 inches, it is 49 inches, which in our book is close enough. Oh, and it’s a great affordable smart 4K TV, which should matter more than anything else.

Outside of its great price, the TCL 49S405 offers lots of other features. The picture quality is a step up from 1080p HD and offers 4K UHD picture performance with high dynamic range (HDR) that will make your movies and TV shows pop. It also has smart functionality via a pre-installed Roku TV, which will let you install more than 4,000 streaming channels, including Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, HBO Now, Amazon Prime Video and Vudu. For ports, it has three HDMI 2.0, one USB, RF, composite, headphone jack, optical audio out and Ethernet.

Before you buy, keep in mind this unit is one of the most budget-friendly 4K TVs on the market and as such, it won’t offer the highest-quality picture. But if you’re not one to quibble over aspect ratios and don’t typically make big color and contrast adjustments, you’ll love this TV.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-49S405-49-In ... B01MYGISTO

Suits my workspace - streams 4k Netflix and has the correct connections.

Downsides are the narrow FOV and not as bright neither of which impact me at all for this use which is 1 meter viewing in a dark work area with no reflections unless I wear a light colour shirt.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s- ... -2017-s405
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Macdoc » Nov 10, 2017 2:17 am

Pretty happy with this purchase

the banding is a camera artifact.
Easy to set up ....I'm a little too close when working but I have another 12-14" I can move it back tho it's mostly okay and lovely for spreadshetts wetc

That screen is sitting 12" beyond the laptop screen FYI - FOV just about perfect ..just another few inches back.
Blacks are better than expected to that's a treat

Very quick to set up ...putting in the networkd passwords was the most annoying. One of my clever staff tweaked it while I was napping. More to find. Yeah - really surprised at the black level.

Just exploring the options...unexpected was a Picassa Channel that allows me to access my Google photos in hidef without being hooked into the computer.
SO I can let the travel photos roll through on the TV without needing the Mac hooked up ....neat to see some of the albums like the Smithosonian Aerospace in 4k on the big screen - unfortunately appears I cannot randomize them..

I like the fact I can tap into Youtube Channel for free - that opens a lot of 4k content without taxing the computer. I signed up for the free trial of Curiousity Channel https://app.curiositystream.com/search/4k. Glad it's frigid out ..will be spending a good deal of time this weekend wallowing in 4k content :dance:

I must admit the switch from Kakadu National Park in northern Australia which we have visited twice to Hudson Bay Polar bears was a wrench .....baby polar bears are toooo cute.
It was neat to get more details on the jacanas in Kakadu and see a full season of changes.

Daddy Jacana with a couple of chicks under his wings..happy to get that shot.

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Macdoc » Nov 12, 2017 6:05 am

This is a good article explaining the advantages of OLED. The tech is there ....the price not quite for me but next year perhaps :popcorn:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12 ... =synd_digg

It is now about 12 months later and indeed there is more content and prices are down.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Macdoc » Nov 12, 2017 1:54 pm

Another informative article.

TCL's New Roku 4K TV Is Very Good and Beautifully Cheap

Adam Clark Estes
7/05/17 9:17amFiled to: TCL P-SERIES REVIEW

All photos: Adam Clark Estes
The TCL P-Series sounds too good to be true. At almost half the price of similarly outfitted sets, these Roku-powered 4K TVs feature high-end features like full-array local dimming, high dynamic range (HDR), and Dolby Vision. All that, and a 55-inch model will only set you back $650. So is it really too good to be true? A little bit. But only a little bit.

more
https://gizmodo.com/tcls-new-roku-4k-tv ... 1796514028

I bought the S series but the same FALD backlight is on it as well.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Macdoc » Nov 21, 2017 10:01 pm

Geez Blue Planet II worth the price of 4k entry.

https://forums.squarepenguin.co.uk/thread-1558.html

Cannot yet get it in 4k here ....youse UK guys got it good,. :whine:

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#50  Postby I'm With Stupid » Nov 22, 2017 11:17 pm

You'll get square eyes sitting that close to your TV.

Incidentally, I'm far more interested in the high dynamic range development. Apparently in tests, people will pick greater dynamic range over greater resolution every time. It's the one thing that annoys me about pretty much all cameras. You can never cover an entire scene if there's a lot of contrast between light and dark.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Macdoc » Nov 22, 2017 11:26 pm

I'd like to see those tests. The difference between 4k and 1080p is astonishing IF they are at the correct distance.
HDR is often overdone in particular in photography but it's quite dramatic in video.

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#52  Postby I'm With Stupid » Nov 23, 2017 11:48 am

Macdoc wrote:I'd like to see those tests. The difference between 4k and 1080p is astonishing IF they are at the correct distance.

Yes, if they're the "correct distance" by which you mean the incorrect distance. With a normal-sized TV at a normal distance from a sofa in a normal living room, the average person can't tell if a TV is 4K or not. If you sit a metre from the screen, then yes, you can tell the difference. Having 4K for the sake of it (and nowadays, you don't really have much choice anyway) is like having 4K recording on your iPhone. Yes, it's a higher resolution, but it's still recording with a shit lens to a shit sensor (relatively), so would still be destroyed by any proper camera with a proper lens recording 1080p. All it does is waste memory to make 4K videos that most people are going to watch on phones. Would anyone really notice if your Instagram Stories were in 4K?

Let's be honest, the TV industry needs a new feature every ten years or so, otherwise everyone will be happy to keep their existing TV. Don't get me wrong, 4K makes sense for the same sort of people who buy surround sound speakers, but for people who just want to watch the latest Bake Off on a TV sitting across the room, it really makes no difference.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Macdoc » Nov 23, 2017 11:15 pm

How the fuck many people watch anything in a "normal living room" let alone watch "TV". They don't.

iPhone 4k recordings are stunning. The limitation is not the lens - it's the sensor and light gathering ...the quality is fantastic,

The iPhone X is a 4K video camera that's almost as good as a DSLR ...
bgr.com/2017/11/07/iphone-x-4k-video-review-vs-mirrorless-dslr/
Nov 7, 2017 - The iPhone X is now in the hands of millions of regular users. That means actual real-life tests from iPhone users are finally available, in case ...

but of course you cannot see this in 4k can you? :D

And the bottom line 4k costs no more. Why would anyone EVER opt for HD.

Now this is 3 years old and I could see the difference behind him as he was talking

and

one hopes you can see the difference on whatever you are using.....it's rather obvious on a Retina screen.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#54  Postby I'm With Stupid » Nov 24, 2017 1:28 am

Macdoc wrote:How the fuck many people watch anything in a "normal living room" let alone watch "TV". They don't.

So in your world, how does everyone watch these 4K TV's you've spent this entire thread trying to convince everyone are amazing?

Macdoc wrote:iPhone 4k recordings are stunning. The limitation is not the lens - it's the sensor and light gathering ...the quality is fantastic,

The iPhone X is a 4K video camera that's almost as good as a DSLR ...
bgr.com/2017/11/07/iphone-x-4k-video-review-vs-mirrorless-dslr/
Nov 7, 2017 - The iPhone X is now in the hands of millions of regular users. That means actual real-life tests from iPhone users are finally available, in case ...

Ah the old "look at what I shot on an iPhone" video. People have been claiming that iPhones are "as good as a DSLR" since the iPhone 2, and it's no truer now than it was then. Absolutely any camera can be made to look good with good lighting, and there's no better lighting than the sun. Are you now genuinely arguing that the iPhone offers the same or better image quality than a $2k (without lens) Panasonic GH5? Of course it's a very good camera for a phone, but that doesn't mean that the 4K feature has anything to do with that, rather than the nice f1.8 lens they put on it, for example. But one thing's for sure: these videos now take up more memory and take longer to upload, which might be fine for the 3 people who are making things on their iPhone to show on a massive screen (who are these people?), but for everyone else shooting their Instagram stories or Snapchatting, it seems like a bit of an inconvenience. But obviously they couldn't leave it off, because whatever the merits or otherwise of 4K, the electronics industry has spent the last few years convincing everyone that it's essential.

Macdoc wrote:but of course you cannot see this in 4k can you? :D

And here we come to the true purpose of the thread. Do you have gold speaker cables too?

Macdoc wrote:And the bottom line 4k costs no more. Why would anyone EVER opt for HD.

If you're buying now you wouldn't. But my point was that it doesn't offer a compelling reason to upgrade, whereas better dynamic range would. Dynamic range is the reason it's taken people so long to abandon film, despite it being a huge pain in the arse to work with, because digital cameras couldn't match it for a long time. If I was buying a new TV now, I'd buy a 4K TV, but I would do so because it's the industry standard, not because I'd notice a difference.

Macdoc wrote:Now this is 3 years old and I could see the difference behind him as he was talking

This is exactly the video I watched. And the 1080 plasma looks better. It looks better because it has a higher dynamic range than the LCD. He even says in the video that they specifically chose the plasma screen for this reason and that most people they asked couldn't tell which was 4K, but picked out the plasma as having better image quality because it had deeper blacks. While when you zoom right in an look closely, obviously the 4K TV has better resolution and more detail. He also said that the difference in resolution is noticeable from about 2 feet away. But at the sort of distances that most people watch either of these TVs, the higher dynamic range wins out. I'll concede that if you watch TV sitting 2 feet from a 65 inch screen, it's a sensible purchase.

I also read this from a filmmaker written in 2013, when people were telling filmmakers that they had to all go 4K. The most interesting part was this:

If you were at NAB this year, 4k was everywhere, just like 3D was everywhere last year. (And 3D was nowhere to be seen at NAB this year... but I doubt 4k will disappear like that).

However, I found it interesting that out of all of the booths displaying 4k content, NONE of them had it next to 1080p content for a side-by-side comparison. To me that is very telling. When we made the transition from SD to HD, the show floor was FULL of SD and HD comparisons and it was easy to tell the difference on the same sized screen. THX even states that most people will not see a benefit of 4k content on a 50" screen, which supports the claims of this chart: 1080p Does Matter, Here's When. So for the vast majority of end viewers and clients, all that 4k does is add overhead, expense, and complication without any real reward.

Most of the filmmakers I follow on Youtube still don't upload in 4K for most of their content, because they realise that it's not adding anything to their product, but increasing the time and expense in making them. If they're shooting something to be played on a big screen, then it will obviously be different. I didn't deny that 4K is desirable for some people or in certain circumstances, just that greater dynamic range would be something that more people would notice in a TV, and would be the first feature I look for when I buy a new TV.

Macdoc wrote:and

one hopes you can see the difference on whatever you are using.....it's rather obvious on a Retina screen.

Let me ask you a quick question. That is a promotional video from television manufacturer LG to promote the benefits of 4K. So given this, why have they uploaded the video with a maximum resolution of 1080? It seems that they love 4K, but not enough to shoot their own advert for 4K in 4K. And yes, I can tell the difference on my humble 1080 screen, and the reason is that the images are incredibly zoomed in to show off the difference.....which is exactly the point I was making.
Last edited by I'm With Stupid on Nov 24, 2017 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Macdoc » Nov 24, 2017 1:37 am

So in your world, how does everyone watch these 4K TV's you've spent this entire thread trying to convince everyone are amazing?

No - some people are considering by a 1080p set which is an incredible waste of money.

There is lots of 4k streaming content out there. Streaming it in 1080 p you can see the difference ...imagine what it looks like in 4k.
Many cannot stream 4k as yet due to the limitations of their provider..

This goes to 1440p

camera, goPros, broadcasters all moving into 4k and the key take away is IF you are buying a new set either wait for OLED or get a low cost decent 4k LED
1080p is toast......

Sports, X-Box , PS1 Pro, just about every movie is shot in 4k or higher and games are moving quickly as well.
Again .....don't dump your 1080p setup just to move to 4k unless you can swing OLED.

IF you are in the market either buy an OLED or a decent budget 4k....there is little gain in buying upper end 4k LED now when OLED simply blows them away.

That's not a hard bit of guidance to follow is it.

I saw 1080P analogue HDTV ( Japanese ) in 1981 ....surely it's time to move on.

The first HDTV demonstration took place in the United States in 1981, and made a powerful impression with its breathtaking images.

http://www.nhk.or.jp/strl/aboutstrl/evo ... n/p19.html

I was there - I was blown away then and only in the last few years have I seen it realized .....now it's beyond that.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby I'm With Stupid » Nov 24, 2017 2:00 am

Macdoc wrote:

No - some people are considering by a 1080p set which is an incredible waste of money.

Who? And how is it a waste of money? Will these 1080p sets not be able to play certain videos? When colour TVs came out, did black and white TVs suddenly stop working? What if I wanted a small TV for the bedroom? The smallest 4K TV I can find is 43". Are you saying that buying any TV smaller than this is a waste of money? Argos sell a 22" 1080p TV for £110. Is that an incredible waste of money, or is it a sensible purchase for some people?

But the point I was addressing was that you said that people don't watch TV in a normal living room? Who are these people who don't watch TV in a normal living room? You didn't actually answer that bit.

Macdoc wrote:There is lots of 4k streaming content out there. Streaming it in 1080 p you can see the difference ...imagine what it looks like in 4k.
Many cannot stream 4k as yet due to the limitations of their provider..

This goes to 1440p

camera, goPros, all moving into 4k and the key take away is IF you are buying a new set either wait for OLED or get a low cost decent 4k.
1080p is toast.

So your argument boils down to buying it because it's the industry standard? Okay fine. I've bought plenty of things because they were the industry standard. It's as good a reason as any. It's not going to compel me to go out tomorrow and buy a new TV when my existing one works perfectly though.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Macdoc » Nov 24, 2017 2:17 am

It's not going to compel me to go out tomorrow and buy a new TV when my existing one works perfectly though.

Did you actually read what I wrote??

the key take away is IF you are buying a new set either wait for OLED or get a low cost decent 4k LED

This was 3 years ago

MARCUS WOHLSEN
BUSINESS
10.20.1410:00 PM
AS ONLINE VIEWING SOARS, INTERNET TV WILL SOON BE THE ONLY TV

https://www.wired.com/2014/10/online-vi ... v-will-tv/

Live streaming services to replace cable on the market or coming soon ...
http://www.businessinsider.com/live-str ... ket-or-c...
Jan 21, 2017 - Cord cutting enthusiasts have predicted the death of cable for some time now. This last ... People hate paying exorbitant prices for cable when they watch maybe only a handful of channels.

Ofcom: young people watch a third less TV on sets as they move ...
https://www.theguardian.com › Arts › TV & radio › Ofcom
Jul 7, 2017 - Ofcom: young people watch a third less TV on sets as they move online ... This was demonstrated by the horror of more mature audiences at the recent news that ... Ofcom's report found that the viewing of on-demand TV on different devices ... to continue watching TV miss out on the conversation about The Walking Dead at ..

PUBLISHED: JAN 22, 2017, 5:00 AM SGT
FACEBOOK290TWITTEREMAIL
Yip Wai Yee
Boon ChanMedia Correspondent
TV is dead, long live TV.

Rumours of TV's demise are greatly exaggerated. It is just not TV as previous generations have known it to be - tethered to a cable.

In fact, it is increasingly not even a television set; the small screen has become smaller, fitting in one's hands.

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/e ... s-the-cord

We hardly watch TV at home anymore - the surprising ways we're ...
https://i.stuff.co.nz/.../tv-radio/.../ ... rvey-finds
Nov 14, 2017 - Watching TV in public toilets, crying when in public while viewing and bingeing ... of people were watching movies and television on devices outside their home. ... CEO of streaming service Lightbox - said TVNZ audiences were consuming " more ... to watch Shortland Street on the bus, or catch-up with The Walking Dead in

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/t ... rvey-finds
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Fallible » Nov 24, 2017 7:00 am

Um...I'm sitting in my 'living room' watching my TV right now. I guarantee there are millions more doing so around me.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Macdoc » Nov 24, 2017 7:44 am

And millions up millions more not. People are unbound from the time slots TV used to dictate and from the devices.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Fallible » Nov 24, 2017 8:43 am

You claimed that people are not sitting in their living rooms watching tv, full stop, not that millions don’t. I don’t know what world you live in, but in mine, everyone over 30, or everyone who can’t afford two screens, or everyone who does not yet have super fast broadband (raises hand), which around here is the vast majority, is sitting in their living rooms watching their tv. Time slots are also a thing of the past on TV now if you can afford any kind of kit that allows recording, which is everyone, now that analog is no more. My daughter practically never watches tv, but only because we are fortunate enough that she can have her own equipment in her own space. This is just not possible for many. The tv is a staple of the vast majority of households, and to be honest watching anything else is complete pain in the arse in ours, because with our shitty speeds, as soon as we want to watch something on Netflix or download something, sprog is unable to stream for shit. You don’t get that with tv. I’m not saying that this is how it should be, only that this is in fact how it is. I don’t recognise the picture you paint, but then everyone around here is just an average kind of person with average jobs and lifestyles, or they’re jobless.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV