4k TV arrives at MacDocs

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 4k TV arrives at MacDocs

#61  Postby I'm With Stupid » Nov 24, 2017 10:28 am

Macdoc wrote:
It's not going to compel me to go out tomorrow and buy a new TV when my existing one works perfectly though.

Did you actually read what I wrote??

Did you actually read what I wrote? I said that I am more interested in these high dynamic range TVs and that people will generally choose that as an indicator of good image quality over resolution (something backed up by the video you posted). Then you came on here and started going on about how amazing 4K is (if you're sat close enough).

Macdoc wrote:
MARCUS WOHLSEN
BUSINESS
10.20.1410:00 PM
AS ONLINE VIEWING SOARS, INTERNET TV WILL SOON BE THE ONLY TV

https://www.wired.com/2014/10/online-vi ... v-will-tv/

Live streaming services to replace cable on the market or coming soon ...
http://www.businessinsider.com/live-str ... ket-or-c...
Jan 21, 2017 - Cord cutting enthusiasts have predicted the death of cable for some time now. This last ... People hate paying exorbitant prices for cable when they watch maybe only a handful of channels.

That's the delivery system. It tells you nothing about the device that people are watching on. You can watch live streaming services on a TV.

Macdoc wrote:
Ofcom: young people watch a third less TV on sets as they move ...
https://www.theguardian.com › Arts › TV & radio › Ofcom
Jul 7, 2017 - Ofcom: young people watch a third less TV on sets as they move online ... This was demonstrated by the horror of more mature audiences at the recent news that ... Ofcom's report found that the viewing of on-demand TV on different devices ... to continue watching TV miss out on the conversation about The Walking Dead at ..

Of course young people are less likely to own a TV nowadays. What might have disappeared is that second TV in the bedroom for teenagers (although it might still exist for games consoles). Of course young people renting a property will typically have whatever TV their landlord buys (i.e. usually the cheapest).

Macdoc wrote:
PUBLISHED: JAN 22, 2017, 5:00 AM SGT
FACEBOOK290TWITTEREMAIL
Yip Wai Yee
Boon ChanMedia Correspondent
TV is dead, long live TV.

Rumours of TV's demise are greatly exaggerated. It is just not TV as previous generations have known it to be - tethered to a cable.

In fact, it is increasingly not even a television set; the small screen has become smaller, fitting in one's hands.

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/e ... s-the-cord

We hardly watch TV at home anymore - the surprising ways we're ...
https://i.stuff.co.nz/.../tv-radio/.../ ... rvey-finds
Nov 14, 2017 - Watching TV in public toilets, crying when in public while viewing and bingeing ... of people were watching movies and television on devices outside their home. ... CEO of streaming service Lightbox - said TVNZ audiences were consuming " more ... to watch Shortland Street on the bus, or catch-up with The Walking Dead in

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/t ... rvey-finds
[/quote]
And these people are going to benefit from 4K are they? When people are watching a TV show on their phone on the train, are they really bothered about whether it's 1080p or 4K? I'd suggest they are, but mainly because the 4K stream keeps pausing to load. I often deliberate reduce the quality of videos on Youtube to make them load faster if, for example, I'm downloading things at the same time and it's killing the bandwidth.

But all of this is irrelevant. This thread is about the merits of 4K TV, and you've been recommending TVs left, right and centre, so unless you're suggesting that these people are carrying a 60" 4K TV on the train with them, you presumably accept that the most common function of these TVs will be to watch TV shows in a living room. So I'll bring you back to what you originally said:

How the fuck many people watch anything in a "normal living room" let alone watch "TV". They don't.

So your argument for the merits of 4K TV seems to be that no-one watches TV any more. Whether or not that's true (it isn't), presumably the people who are buying these TVs are doing so because they intend to watch them. And they intend to watch them from across the living room like everyone else on the planet apart, apparently, from you.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Macdoc » Nov 24, 2017 12:39 pm

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Macdoc » Nov 26, 2017 5:28 am

This is a decent comparison tho again to see it - ...... :whistle:

It has 2k ( 144p ) which I find acceptable and easier on gear but for instance a quality 2k ips 27" Dell and a 4k with ips are near on the same price point. these days....

I don't game but how many games support 2k ( 144p )?

Once you've been in the 4k world - hard to go back. :coffee:

a remastered Oz s a revelation ....and many movies shot in film especially 65 and 70 mm are simply transformed.

Good coverage here.

The Science Behind 4K Restorations of Classic Films

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/4k-res ... sic-films/
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Macdoc » Nov 27, 2017 10:06 pm

And just when you thought it was safe....

8K TV – everything you need to know
21st November 2017 by Joe Cox

Sharp's 70-inch 8K TV

While many of us are only just getting used to the idea of 4K TV, some brands and broadcasters are already investigating 8K resolution video...

Yes, 8K video could one day be a reality. It may not be any time soon, and there's no guarantee it will ever happen, but from 8K TVs to 8K broadcasts, there is already plenty of investigation into how 8K content could become a reality.

It's fair to say 4K TV is now mainstream. That doesn't mean we're all watching it, all of the time, but if you're sizing up a new TV, and you care about picture quality, 4K resolution should be on the spec sheet.

And, thanks to Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, YouTube, 4K Blu-ray, BT and Sky, there is finally 4K content to watch. With what looks set to be the first 4K World Cup just around the corner, it really is a great time to get involved.

But, as ever in consumer electronics, there is always something new on the horizon. The prospect of 8K certainly shouldn't affect your eagerness to go 4K, but to be informed is to be empowered, so we thought we'd round up the 8K state of play for the future-gazers among us. So, who's working on 8K? And when could it really become a reality? Read on.

Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/advice/8k-tv-e ... hfJHFro.99
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Macdoc » Dec 26, 2017 5:39 pm

Wow ....4k feed from LoveNature is very good and for any of you with fancy new 4k sets...free Preview this month.

http://tv.lovenature.com

Not sure it it streams in 4k to the computer .....might chase that
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Macdoc » Jan 31, 2018 9:44 pm

Upped the setup to two 4k screens plus the lappie ...
More workspace and nicer eye candy.

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#67  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 19, 2018 10:02 pm

If y'all fancy walking around Sapporo at night (amongst other things), check out Rambalac, a vlogger in Japan.

Filmed with a Lumix GH5 mounted on a Beholder EC1.

Enjoy.

OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

What about 8k

#68  Postby Macdoc » Sep 01, 2018 4:14 am

Cross post from another forum so some aspects already covered off but OLED certainly dropping now.

8k is a complete waste of money and will not be mainstream in any realistic time frame.

A few upper end media producing clients are shooting 5k and 8k purely for step down to 4k.

There is some use in the graphics field but will have to wait both for software and GPUs to catchup.

Buying ANYTHING not 4k now - camera's TVs, monitors is seriously misguided.

Spending significant money on LED 4k screens is also misguided as OLED will dominate this season and next and is truly stunning.

The viewing of content is moving away from the living room into personal nearfield space so size is irrelevant. Detail within FoV ( Field of View ) is the critical aspect.

Tablets, phones, nearfield monitors are all the major watching space even for 4k.

Shooting in 8k offers directors the option of scaling to theatre - still mostly 2k - and 4k streaming.

Good explanation here

Does this mean 4K TV is already obsolete? Do you need to rush out an buy an 8K TV this year or risk being unable to watch your favorite shows? Should you throw your brand-new TV out the window in a fit of disgust at its appallingly low 4K resolution?

The answer to all of these questions is "no." Here's why.

https://www.cnet.com/au/news/8k-tv-what-you-need-to-know/

I benefit from the two 4k screens I run from my laptop both for work and watching media - often a combined process.

The 27" 4k Dell is inside 12" and the 50" HCL is inside 30" and just a delight ....

4k streaming Netflix on the big screen and my own 4k photography ( the black bar is a wing strut ) on the smaller screen - Retina 2880 across on the laptop so it's a good visual match for the other screens and is brighter than both....450 nits or so.

Some good monitors now are out at an eye blistering 1000 nits which makes photos pop even in daylight.

HDR and Dolby colour really add to the 4k experience and those are technologies worth chasing on 4k. 8k does not add to those technologies, only makes it harder to achieve due to the massive bandwith involved.

HDR has improved but can look artificial...when you have the correct monitor and source it's stunning. Most camera's now have HDR settings but many including me find it lends an articial look.

If you have a decent monitor or laptop at all you should be able to see the dramatic difference Dolby HDR makes moving the slide across.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/brands/dolby-vision.html

Having brightness up in the 500 to 1000 nits means the full colour dynamic range can be expressed and of course OLED means you start with pure infinite blacks are there is no backlight. ( for reference a quality 4k computer monitor was in the 300-350 nits and now moving to 500 )
4k TV getting to 300 nits in the cheaper models and LED TVs desperately trying to avoid the OLED tsunami arriving by offering up to 1000 nits....but high end LED cannot overcome the inherent advantages and drama OLED offers.

Combining these technologies with high end sources gives you a solid glimpse into what's coming and to a degree what is available.....knock your socks off.

While they apply to 8k ...there is no gain for any consumer.

Decent coverage here.
https://www.techradar.com/au/news/television/hdr-welcome-to-the-next-big-shift-in-home-entertainment-1280990
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 01, 2018 7:48 am

You cant see 4K. Stop wasting your money.

Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#70  Postby LucidFlight » Sep 01, 2018 8:52 am

Me, personally, I like to hook up a 4K TV to my laptop to enjoy the extra screen real estate.

I tried running my 5K 27" monitor at its native 5120 x 2880 for a while, but found it a bit less comfortable for long periods of reading and coding. I put that down to my older age. I think 5K would work nicely around 36 inches or so.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 01, 2018 9:03 am

That is the problem. Who has the real space for a 65" tv. Not many European houses and especially UK ones. Just nonsensical.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Macdoc » Sep 01, 2018 10:29 am

As usual you don't know what you are talking about.

I use this gear on my desk everyday as do my clients.... :nono:

Pretty obvious ....except you don't own a 4k screen ....pity

Go back to your polaroid TV :coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Fallible » Sep 01, 2018 11:53 am

I don't think it's a pity that I don't own a 4k screen, which is just as well, because I don't have the money for one. It's fine to like and have 4k, but the smugness and jibes because others don't are unnecessary.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 01, 2018 12:55 pm

Macdoc wrote:

As usual you don't know what you are talking about.

Pretty obvious ....except you don't own a 4k screen ....pity

Go back to your polaroid TV :coffee:

We are not talking monitors. I dont waste money on a 65" TV which is the minimal requirement to see the difference. What you brag about with your "clients" is of little interest to normal folk.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 01, 2018 12:57 pm

Living in Cairns is bad enough. What a place to be a snob in. :rofl:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 01, 2018 4:25 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:You cant see 4K. Stop wasting your money.

Don't waste your time. This thread has a pattern. Macdoc comes on the promote the latest 4k thing, everyone points out that 4k has no real benefit, Macdoc fails to address the arguments, disappears for a few months, and then comes on again as if none of the previous debate happened, and the whole cycle starts again.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 01, 2018 4:51 pm

I know but he talks so much rubbish and rather condescendingly.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Macdoc » Sep 01, 2018 6:12 pm

I love people that try and comment on something they don't fucking own and patently know nothing about :roll:
I'm well compensated by my clients who produce the content to know what I'm talking about. I saw my first HD TV by Panasonic in 1982 at the Chicago CES and watched the original Macintosh commercial in 1984 on a 50" Mitsubishi in my bedroom.

If you get dismissed as know nothings ...you've bloody well earned it time and again. :nono:

Can't afford £216.40 ???!!!! How to make yourself a laughing stock ...but then nothing new there.
Wilfull ignorance is worst of all.

Samsung UE50MU6120
From £216.40
Price/inch: 4.32 £/inch
Screen size: 50 inches
Resolution: 3840x2160 (4K Ultra HD)
Display technology: LCD
HDR
Smart TV
Release year: 2017

Nor do I tolerate fools .... :coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#79  Postby UncertainSloth » Sep 01, 2018 7:03 pm

have you got a link to it at that price then? a quick google with pricespy brings that up at that price at zippytom, which doesn't recognise the model on its website so i can't verify it

edit- no worries, found it - out of stock there so a viable link would be good

cheapest after that is on ebay at 430-odd...prices seem to be between 400-500...no way that's doable...
Last edited by UncertainSloth on Sep 01, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Fallible » Sep 01, 2018 7:04 pm

Macdoc wrote:I love people that try and comment on something they don't fucking own and patently know nothing about :roll:

Try and comment? People are commenting. As usual, you eschew a reasoned discussion for immediate insufferable pomposity.

I'm well compensated by my clients who produce the content to know what I'm talking about.

Oh, I'm sure you are. Do you want to make yourself look any more like a caricature of Marie Antoinette than you already do? The issue is that few care that you say you know what you're talking about, because most do not work in whatever business you do, and have close to zero interest in it. As a result, we don't give a shit about whatever rarified atmosphere you have to descend from in order to dispense your pearls before our porcine snouts.

I saw my first HD TV by Panasonic in 1982 at the Chicago CES and watched the original Macintosh commercial in 1984 on a 50" Mitsubishi in my bedroom.

Fascinating. No one cares what you do in your bedroom.

If you get dismissed as know nothings ...you've bloody well earned it time and again. :nono:

Who do you think you are? 'Time and again' you clog the forum up with your shitty threads (often replicas of posts you've already made), which either sit there with no further posts or hit shit street when anyone dares to disagree with you. It's about time you learned once and for all that you, just like the rest of us, are just some stranger on the internet spilling the contents of his mind. You are not the one who decides what anyone here 'earns' based on your content-free witterings about 'know-nothings'. This isn't your personal blog, it's a discussion forum. We're talking about fucking visuals on a screen here. At least in the AGW thread you get all het up and pissy about something that actually matters. Get a grip.

Can't afford £216.40 ???!!!! How to make yourself a laughing stock ...but then nothing new there.

Oh, I'm sorry, not being able to afford £220 makes one a laughing stock, does it? Pull your head out of your arse, you insufferable snob. Not being able to afford £220 makes one a laughing stock, but scoffing from on high at people less fortunate than yourself like the worst kind of milk fed fop doesn't somehow. Life is strange.

Wilfull ignorance is worst of all.

I think people who can't spell while criticising others for their imaginary failings are marginally worse.

Samsung UE50MU6120
From £216.40
Price/inch: 4.32 £/inch
Screen size: 50 inches
Resolution: 3840x2160 (4K Ultra HD)
Display technology: LCD
HDR
Smart TV
Release year: 2017

I think you've lived too long as a privileged globe-trotting tosser to understand that it's perfectly normal to not have 220 quid just lying about to spend on a fucking luxury item because it looks slightly better than the luxury item you managed to buy only a year or so ago. Some of us don't know how long we're going to be physically able to earn money, and have slightly greater concerns.

Nor do I tolerate fools .... :coffee:

And yet you're still alive.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV