Black Mirror is back

Christmas Special

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Black Mirror is back

#1  Postby I'm With Stupid » Dec 17, 2014 10:30 am

Did anyone watch this? With John Hamm as the lead? This programme is some of the best TV in years. It's just a shame it's not an entire new series.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Black Mirror is back

#2  Postby Kaleid » Dec 17, 2014 11:28 am

Is it as good as the others? I liked most of them, although it was a bit hit and miss, but that's to be expected given the style of the show, I think - they're all so different. For example, I thought 'The National Anthem' (the one with the pig) was brilliant, but 'White Bear' started out promising and ended up being a bit flat. I wouldn't want it any other way, though. It's like a sort of modern, dystopian 'Tales of the Unexpected'.

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Fallible » Dec 17, 2014 11:34 am

Watched last night's, loved it, although it left me feeling pretty depressed by the end. Which I guess was the point. I found 'block' a bit ineffective though, because you know who the person is, that they're there, and can basically work out what they're saying still.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby BlackBart » Dec 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Crikey, I've still got the previous series on the Sky Box to watch.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby catbasket » Dec 18, 2014 4:28 pm

Missed this series somehow. Downloaded the lot and watched 'The National Anthem' last night. That poor pig ...
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby ED209 » Dec 18, 2014 10:14 pm

I don't get it....spoilers obviously....did he kill the little girl? His initial story was that he drove away and if that wasn't true then what, he just watched the house for 2 days and then watched her wonder off and eventually collapse in the snow?

Also, neither what he and jon hamm did was all that bad - I don't think manslaughter would warrant all that effort to extract a confession when there would be so much forensic evidence, or that anything from a computer simulation which can be run in accelerated time for eternity until it eventually 'confesses' would be admissible anyway, and jon hamm's failing to report a murder/suicide is a trivial misdemeanour to warrant blocking from everyone forever (and why had he never heard of that punishment)? How is he going to buy toilet paper? Wouldn't red blocked people go nuts and start killing people in rampages?

And why does oona chaplin want a quivering and insane copy of herself to make her toast and open her curtains? My toaster does a very good job of doing toast how I like it and it came from argos. If I had one of those it'd be pretending to be me working from home everyday, not remembering to boil the kettle for me. :think:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#7  Postby Fallible » Dec 18, 2014 10:23 pm

ED209 wrote:I don't get it....spoilers obviously....did he kill the little girl? His initial story was that he drove away and if that wasn't true then what, he just watched the house for 2 days and then watched her wonder off and eventually collapse in the snow?

I think he said that he was told what happened to her by the police - that she went out to get help, but didn't get very far because the cold overcame her. It still doesn't make sense to me though, because she only seemed to get about 50 foot from the house.

Also, neither what he and jon hamm did was all that bad - I don't think manslaughter would warrant all that effort to extract a confession when there would be so much forensic evidence, or that anything from a computer simulation which can be run in accelerated time for eternity until it eventually 'confesses' would be admissible anyway, and jon hamm's failing to report a murder/suicide is a trivial misdemeanour to warrant blocking from everyone forever (and why had he never heard of that punishment)? How is he going to buy toilet paper? Wouldn't red blocked people go nuts and start killing people in rampages?

Yeah, I was thinking it would be impossible to live like that. I dunno, maybe Charlie is trying to make a point about an uncaring, impersonal society where if you misbehave you just get the ultimate unfriending.

And why does oona chaplin want a quivering and insane copy of herself to make her toast and open her curtains? My toaster does a very good job of doing toast how I like it and it came from argos. If I had one of those it'd be pretending to be me working from home everyday, not remembering to boil the kettle for me. :think:

Because reasons!

I don't have an answer for that bit because I was reading something when it was on and wasn't paying attention properly.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby ED209 » Dec 18, 2014 10:55 pm

Fallible wrote:
ED209 wrote:I don't get it....spoilers obviously....did he kill the little girl? His initial story was that he drove away and if that wasn't true then what, he just watched the house for 2 days and then watched her wonder off and eventually collapse in the snow?

I think he said that he was told what happened to her by the police - that she went out to get help, but didn't get very far because the cold overcame her. It still doesn't make sense to me though, because she only seemed to get about 50 foot from the house.

Ah, I missed the part where he said that the police told him that.

As for the body under the tree just outside the window, I would say that it was there because he is in a digital representation of a generic house with echoes of his ex's dad's house - the clock and the body - perhaps intentionally put in as psychological triggers (he seemed to notice them for the first time as he went along). BUT then the whole simulation was just knocked together at the police station by someone in the next cell for a plea bargain, so I don't see how it could have that level of finesse. So maybe he was just imagining them...
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#9  Postby Fallible » Dec 18, 2014 11:18 pm

See, when I try to talk about such things here I get told I'm being too analytical and I should stop examining everything so closely, it's just fiction. :snooty:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby VazScep » Dec 19, 2014 5:18 pm

Dan Draper! And the psycho manchild from the Shadow Line. I'm watching.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby VazScep » Dec 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Pretty good, I thought. I've never been blown away by Black Mirror, but this was probably my favourite after 15 million merits.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby epepke » Dec 21, 2014 3:58 am

I just watched the opening based on this thread. I hope it gets more interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Pig-Tail-Butt-Plu ... B00GXNPEJ0

Just sayin'.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby surreptitious57 » Dec 21, 2014 5:43 am

The ending was excellent both visually and psychologically. By contrast The National Anthem from last year was completely over the top as it would never actually happen and so something more subtle would have worked better instead. However it reminds me of the time a pensioner was done for bestiality [ also with a pig ] and was subsequently inundated with requests for his autograph from the prisoners wives and girlfriends. Any women here who actually understand the modus operandi of this may enlighten me if they so wish. Though as I am old and so therefore in the autumn of my life I refuse to be surprised at anything that ground apes do anymore. A lot of which sadly makes pig fucking look like a walk in the park by comparison
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#14  Postby Briton » Dec 21, 2014 9:40 am

Missed this. Thanks for the heads up; I'll give it a whirl.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby minininja » Dec 26, 2014 9:14 pm

Finally got around to watching this one. Thought it was excellent again. Dystopian sci-fi psychological horror satire Christmas mindfuck. :grin:

I really don't mind the plot holes at all. I see Black Mirror as expressionist art in movie form. It's a vivid exploration of a concept rather than realism.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Macdoc » Dec 27, 2014 1:35 am

Watched a couple....reality show one was very good.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby epepke » Dec 27, 2014 9:33 pm

"White Bear" is my favorite so far.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Film & TV