Blue Planet to return for new series.

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Blue Planet to return for new series.

#1  Postby Animavore » Feb 22, 2017 7:17 am

Renowned naturalist Sir David Attenborough is set to return to television for a new series of BBC's award-winning Blue Planet.

The seven-part series will mark 20 years since the channel's natural history unit first set out to explore never-before-seen wildlife in the deepest and darkest realms of the world's oceans.

Now Blue Planet II will see the team follow a fresh cast of aquatic animals with even more ambitious filming techniques.

Sir David said: "I am truly thrilled to be joining this new exploration of the underwater worlds which cover most of our planet, yet are still its least known."

http://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/blue ... 78092.html

"It will provide a timely reminder that this is a critical moment for the health of the world's oceans."

I hope they really do touch on the devastation we're causing rather than just have it as a footnote.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Blue Planet to return for new series.

#2  Postby Weaver » Feb 22, 2017 11:21 am

A lot of discussion of negative human impact upon crabs on Christmas Island, devastated by invasive ants.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Feb 22, 2017 1:23 pm

That was Planet Earth 2. Which reminds me. I have to watch the rest of it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Weaver » Feb 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Animavore wrote:That was Planet Earth 2. Which reminds me. I have to watch the rest of it.

Oops - yep, my mistake.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Sendraks » Feb 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Animavore wrote:I hope they really do touch on the devastation we're causing rather than just have it as a footnote.

I disagree. They're far better served by showing the wondrous world of the oceans and narrating about the intricate, but fragile, web of interactions these creatures live within as the focus for the series, rather than going on and on about human effects. That will just make the series look preachy and patronising.

Better to save that message as a concluding footnote. A "punchline" where all its emphasis and gravitas comes from everything they've already shown about the wonders beneath the waters surface. Although some of the stuff about environmental damage can be easily interwoven into the narrative of each episode. I'm pretty sure in the Blue Planet they did that, talking about species which live on jellyfish, choking to death on plastic bags.

Maybe a final episode in the series focusing on the harm we do and, more positively, what we can do and are doing to undo that damage. Get people to see that our ability to influence the environment swings both ways and it isn't something we're powerless to stop.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 22, 2017 10:19 pm

Why have they started doing sequels to nature documentaries?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Return to Film & TV