Differences between Japanese and British TV

Split from The Book Thread 2021

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Differences between Japanese and British TV

#1  Postby crazyfitter » Feb 10, 2021 1:23 pm

#42 don’t get me started
I’d be very interested in your thoughts on the differences between UK and Japanese tv. My only knowledge is from uk tv which would show a clip of a Japanese newsreader shouting very angrily at the screen.
I remember our first tv, it was a wooden cube with a 14” screen and made by Bush. Only bbc existed and for the first 2nights I was allowed to stay up until all programs finished and we stared at the test screen which soon vanished to a dot.
One night my dad forgot to turn it off and the next day day it wouldn’t work and so he removed the back cover to look inside. One of the valves was discoloured so he removed it and sent me with it on my bicycle to the ‘radio shop’ for a replacement. I think it cost 10/-. It worked. Well done dad.
The slap in the face that is offered by anti-rationalist, pseudo-scientists and anti-intellectuals that infest much of public discourse is a sad coda to what has been achieved these centuries past by the scientific method - don’t get me started
crazyfitter

Male

Print view this post

Re: The Book Thread 2021

#2  Postby don't get me started » Feb 16, 2021 1:43 pm

crazyfitter wrote:#42 don’t get me started
I’d be very interested in your thoughts on the differences between UK and Japanese tv. My only knowledge is from uk tv which would show a clip of a Japanese newsreader shouting very angrily at the screen.
I remember our first tv, it was a wooden cube with a 14” screen and made by Bush. Only bbc existed and for the first 2nights I was allowed to stay up until all programs finished and we stared at the test screen which soon vanished to a dot.
One night my dad forgot to turn it off and the next day day it wouldn’t work and so he removed the back cover to look inside. One of the valves was discoloured so he removed it and sent me with it on my bicycle to the ‘radio shop’ for a replacement. I think it cost 10/-. It worked. Well done dad.

Hmmm... I've been thinking about this for a few days since I read your post. There is a lot that I could say in terms of things that exist or are high profile in one country and are not a thing or are only a minor thing in the other. I'll give it a bit more thought and work up some ideas, maybe open a new thread.

To be going on with, here is one thing that baffles me on Japanese TV. There are a plethora of cooking programmes and a regular theme is the 'big eater' style show where they set a challenge to eat a huge amount of food in a certain time. Sometimes an individual will eat 5 or 6 kilos in 50 minutes.... (Just skip forward, you'll get the idea of how the show progresses...)

There is a variant of this where people suffer their way through ridiculously spicy dishes for the viewing enjoyment of the audience at home.

I just don't get it, but these are popular shows here.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#3  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 16, 2021 4:28 pm

don't get me started wrote:
crazyfitter wrote:#42 don’t get me started

Hmmm... I've been thinking about this for a few days since I read your post. There is a lot that I could say in terms of things that exist or are high profile in one country and are not a thing or are only a minor thing in the other. I'll give it a bit more thought and work up some ideas, maybe open a new thread.

To be going on with, here is one thing that baffles me on Japanese TV. There are a plethora of cooking programmes and a regular theme is the 'big eater' style show where they set a challenge to eat a huge amount of food in a certain time. Sometimes an individual will eat 5 or 6 kilos in 50 minutes.... (Just skip forward, you'll get the idea of how the show progresses...)

There is a variant of this where people suffer their way through ridiculously spicy dishes for the viewing enjoyment of the audience at home.

I just don't get it, but these are popular shows here.

I like Chris Broad's take on the topic.

I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Differences between Japanese and British TV

#4  Postby crazyfitter » Feb 17, 2021 5:13 pm

Shame the first video is unavailable here. I’m getting the idea, rightly or wrongly, that what’s being shown is the sort of lightweight stuff that is the Japanese equivalent of our soaps and quiz shows etc.
How does it treat the political parties though. Is the establishment party treated differently to the opposition parties and does it expose political sleaze and corruption? Are there good documentaries?
Sorry to put you through this dgms but I’m not doing a research project on the subject :)
The slap in the face that is offered by anti-rationalist, pseudo-scientists and anti-intellectuals that infest much of public discourse is a sad coda to what has been achieved these centuries past by the scientific method - don’t get me started
crazyfitter

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Thommo » Feb 18, 2021 1:31 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:I like Chris Broad's take on the topic.

Cool video, but I was interested in how much I disliked all those UK TV shows he mentioned: Kitchen Nightmares, Jeremy Kyle (incidentally - not sure he's still on TV), Tiger King, Piers Morgan, X Factor. I would actively pay to not have to watch that lot.

I haven't really watched a lot of Japanese TV, not least because I don't speak Japanese and live half way across the world. The only show I can directly compare between Japan and other countries is Ninja Warrior (Sasuke), which was franchised worldwide, as well as redubbed in English. I prefer the Japanese version of that to the US or UK version, the US version is OK, and has since been cloned into a bunch of other shows. The UK version was dreadful.
Thommo

Print view this post

Return to Film & TV