Doctor Who [SPOILERS]

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Doctor Who [SPOILERS]

#1701  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Oct 30, 2018 9:51 pm

OlivierK wrote:My teenage kids were just about at the point of throwing things at the television as the characters droned on with stating-the-bleeding-obvious exposition on the bus at the top of their voices, while everyone else in the scene acted as if the Doctor&Co weren't even there. [...] There were lots of shouts of "They can all hear you!" and facepalming.

if they had played a 60s public bus engine sounds at full volume the other passengers wouldn’t have heard a thing.
and neither would the audience.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

try not to overthink my posts: I have an attention span of about 15 minutes.
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#1702  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 30, 2018 11:38 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
OlivierK wrote:My teenage kids were just about at the point of throwing things at the television as the characters droned on with stating-the-bleeding-obvious exposition on the bus at the top of their voices, while everyone else in the scene acted as if the Doctor&Co weren't even there. [...] There were lots of shouts of "They can all hear you!" and facepalming.

if they had played a 60s public bus engine sounds at full volume the other passengers wouldn’t have heard a thing.

I think you may be missing the point. Oliver seems to be referring to the fact that the Doctor and Co openly discuss time-travel and the upcoming historical events within clear earshot of the contemporary people.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1703  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Oct 31, 2018 7:28 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agi Hammerthief wrote:

I think you may be missing the point. Oliver seems to be referring to the fact that the Doctor and Co openly discuss time-travel and the upcoming historical events within clear earshot of the contemporary people.

yes, I got that.
my point is with realistic background audio it wouldn’t have been within earshot.

Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1704  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 31, 2018 7:47 am

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agi Hammerthief wrote:

yes, I got that.
my point is with realistic background audio it wouldn’t have been within earshot.

But that's seems a non-sequitur response as there was no criticism of the lack of background noise.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1705  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Oct 31, 2018 8:37 am

Thomas Eshuis* wrote:
Agi Hammerthief wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agi Hammerthief wrote:

yes, I got that.

But that's seems a non-sequitur response as there was no criticism of the lack of background noise.

also kind of my point :naughty2:

they where „openly“ discussing things in an environment where realistically „within earshot“ is the person next to you.
So complain about the mixing of the sound, not the script.

unless they actually drove around a vintage bus to do the shoot and I‘m totally off with my assessment of 60s public transportation infrastructure quality.

of cause they could have lapshaded the noise by having (retired bus driver) Graham commenting on how much quieter modern busses are or something.

Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1706  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 31, 2018 12:33 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
Thomas Eshuis* wrote:
Agi Hammerthief wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

yes, I got that.

also kind of my point :naughty2:

they where „openly“ discussing things in an environment where realistically „within earshot“ is the person next to you.
So complain about the mixing of the sound, not the script.

unless they actually drove around a vintage bus to do the shoot and I‘m totally off with my assessment of 60s public transportation infrastructure quality.

of cause they could have lapshaded the noise by having (retired bus driver) Graham commenting on how much quieter modern busses are or something.

I see.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1707  Postby electricwhiteboy » Nov 03, 2018 12:23 pm

Oh thought I'd already posted. Seems I just went through the usual oh new show runner, first episode, new Doctor jitters. The rest haven't been bad, just hope Chibbers run of form continues. Bradley Walsh has sort of been my Donna this season. Not as good as Bernard Cribbins, but not as bad as he could have been. I've been pleasantly surprised other than a few niggles.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#1708  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Nov 06, 2018 10:48 pm

now I want a crossover Pting & Cybermen or Pting & Dalek

Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1709  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:now I want a crossover Pting & Cybermen or Pting & Dalek

Really meh episode imo.
Loved Demons of Punjab though. Rosa should have been more like this.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1710  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Nov 13, 2018 7:40 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Really meh episode imo.

yeah, insted of the general going „it ate me fleet“ would have been more impressive to have picked it up in a dalek fleet wreackage.
Doctor: „I wonder what destroyed these?“
Pting: „burp“

Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1711  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 13, 2018 7:41 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Really meh episode imo.

yeah, insted of the general going „it ate me fleet“ would have been more impressive to have picked it up in a dalek fleet wreackage.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but that would have been an improvement imo.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1712  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Nov 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agi Hammerthief wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Really meh episode imo.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but that would have been an improvement imo.

that was sarcasm free.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Loved Demons of Punjab though. Rosa should have been more like this.

just got around to watch it, totally agree.

Those guys haven’t heared of Testemony I guess.

„It’s not an evil plot, I don’t know what to do“
now she knows

Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1713  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 14, 2018 8:05 am

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agi Hammerthief wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Really meh episode imo.

that was sarcasm free.

:thumbup:

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Loved Demons of Punjab though. Rosa should have been more like this.

just got around to watch it, totally agree.

Those guys haven’t heared of Testemony I guess.

„It’s not an evil plot, I don’t know what to do“
now she knows

I don't get the reference. :ask:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1714  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Nov 14, 2018 11:28 am

Xmas Special „Twice Upon A Time“
when he discovered that the aliens aren‘t ailiens and not evil.
just collectors of memories.

Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1715  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 14, 2018 11:48 am

Agi Hammerthief wrote:Xmas Special „Twice Upon A Time“
when he discovered that the aliens aren‘t ailiens and not evil.
just collectors of memories.

Ah, I see, completely forgot about that point. :facepalm:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#1716  Postby minininja » Nov 19, 2018 8:49 pm

They're really not holding back on violent deaths of innocent and likeable characters this series are they? It's brutal. :smoke:
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1717  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Nov 19, 2018 9:48 pm

minininja wrote:They're really not holding back on violent deaths of innocent and likeable characters this series are they? It's brutal. :smoke:

yep, unfortunately unnecessary in this case.

and it was a bit obvious that the System was asking for help.
so obvious they had to lampshade why she didn’t get it.

Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#1718  Postby minininja » Nov 25, 2018 10:11 pm

Ds4EMaGWsAE11U1.jpg
Ds4EMaGWsAE11U1.jpg (354.9 KiB) Viewed 607 times

Just in case anybody needs a copy. :lol:
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1719  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 26, 2018 12:37 pm

This week's episode was the least of the bunch so far, imo.
Even the Pting episode manage to keep me entertained.
The king was way to hammy and rather superfluous. And I felt no investment in the monster of this week.
Finally, as several reviews have noted; the dialogue in this episode was repetitive and to expositional.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1720  Postby electricwhiteboy » Nov 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
The king was way to hammy and rather superfluous

There's a fair chance that was what King James VI was actually like.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV