Dracula

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Dracula

#81  Postby laklak » Jan 04, 2020 8:52 pm

Starts streaming on U.S. Netflix today, we'll give it a watch.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby minininja » Jan 05, 2020 12:50 pm

I gave up part way through the second episode after this got stuck in my head:

[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 05, 2020 7:45 pm

Started episode 3. I like it.
Two plotholes/questions I noticed though:
1. In the convent in Budapest, why was Dracula able to cross the sacred line, when it was Johnny who was invited, not him?
2. On the Demeter, why did Dracula have to put himself in the crate with dirt, when the ship was sinking, if he could walk under water anyway?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Svartalf » Jan 05, 2020 10:10 pm

I haven't seen the series , but about the Demeter bit If it happened at daybreak, he might have needed the soil of the homeland more than swimming ability
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#85  Postby aufbahrung » Jan 05, 2020 10:17 pm

Svartalf wrote:I haven't seen the series , but about the Demeter bit If it happened at daybreak, he might have needed the soil of the homeland more than swimming ability

He was thinking ahead, probably not 123 years ahead. cheapskates to use crates rather than coffins. Figured that one out myself.
ship struck the rocks yesterday, and the worst is yet to be....
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 05, 2020 11:03 pm

Svartalf wrote:I haven't seen the series , but about the Demeter bit If it happened at daybreak, he might have needed the soil of the homeland more than swimming ability

Nope, he was standing on deck when it happened.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#87  Postby scott1328 » Jan 06, 2020 9:26 pm

I watched the first episode last night on Netflix and quite enjoyed it. Sister Agatha was quite engaging. Her accent and her face brought to mind Isabella Rosselini and/or her mother Ingrid Bergman.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby scott1328 » Jan 08, 2020 5:12 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Started episode 3. I like it.
1. In the convent in Budapest, why was Dracula able to cross the sacred line, when it was Johnny who was invited, not him?
2. On the Demeter, why did Dracula have to put himself in the crate with dirt, when the ship was sinking, if he could walk under water anyway?

Considering that all these rules Dracula followed were not really rules at all, what you noted are not really plot holes at all.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 08, 2020 5:42 pm

It was implied that the English dude - his 'bride' - invited him in.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#90  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 08, 2020 10:11 pm

scott1328 wrote:

Considering that all these rules Dracula followed were not really rules at all, what you noted are not really plot holes at all.

Except that Dracula reacted to all superstitious rules including make-shift crosses at every occasion, so the invitation thing should not have worked because he'd know he wasn't Johnny and there was never a reason given for why Dracula would fear going down with the ship.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 08, 2020 10:13 pm

Spearthrower wrote:

That's how he got access to the nunnery. I am talking about when Dracula has killed all the nuns and enters the dungeon where Agatha and Johnny's wife were hiding behind a comunnion-waver-holy-line which Dracula could only cross upon being invited. Except he wasn't invited, Johnny was. He had disguised himself as Johnny, but would be completely aware that it was not him, but Johnny that was invited in.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#92  Postby scott1328 » Jan 08, 2020 11:51 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

That's how he got access to the nunnery. I am talking about when Dracula has killed all the nuns and enters the dungeon where Agatha and Johnny's wife were hiding behind a comunnion-waver-holy-line which Dracula could only cross upon being invited. Except he wasn't invited, Johnny was. He had disguised himself as Johnny, but would be completely aware that it was not him, but Johnny that was invited in.

is it really that hard to imagine that Dracula was inconsistent in how he applied his self-imposed, superstitious phobias?
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 09, 2020 5:02 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

If you're disguised as Bob and I invite you in thinking your Bob with the words "Come in" then I guess that's just how it works.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#94  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 09, 2020 8:31 am

scott1328 wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

is it really that hard to imagine that Dracula was inconsistent in how he applied his self-imposed, superstitious phobias?

Not at all, it just that that contravenes the way he's portrayed in the show. Head-cannon can fix just about anything.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#95  Postby newolder » Jan 09, 2020 9:11 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
scott1328 wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Not at all, it just that that contravenes the way he's portrayed in the show. Head-cannon can fix just about anything.

Dracula was wearing the skin of Johnny boy but the eyes were still his own.

"Look into my eyes. Not around the eyes but into them..." [/Little Britain]

Anyhoo, where did Dracula sleep in Part the third? All his soil was at the bottom of the North Sea, wasn't it?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby Fallible » Jan 09, 2020 12:31 pm

Perhaps his lawyer sorted him some more.

I may have missed something, but it came across to me like Dracula more kind of took on his form like he did with the wolf, rather than just wore his skin.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#97  Postby newolder » Jan 09, 2020 12:50 pm

Fallible wrote:Perhaps his lawyer sorted him some more.

Probably. :dunno:

I may have missed something, but it came across to me like Dracula more kind of took on his form like he did with the wolf, rather than just wore his skin.

I had to go and put the kettle on whilst he emerged from within Johnny but, iirc, the eyes were part of the inner being all along. It's all (for me) just for laughs and giggles anyhoo & plot holes are always expected...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#98  Postby Fallible » Jan 09, 2020 12:53 pm

Yarp, same here. I die a bit inside when things like this are examined too closely.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#99  Postby scott1328 » Jan 09, 2020 1:03 pm

newolder wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
scott1328 wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Dracula was wearing the skin of Johnny boy but the eyes were still his own.

"Look into my eyes. Not around the eyes but into them..." [/Little Britain]

Anyhoo, where did Dracula sleep in Part the third? All his soil was at the bottom of the North Sea, wasn't it?

No, they told him they imported soil from Transylvania for him to lie in. This was shown when they captured him at the house he invaded. Based on the later reveal that all these limitations were superstitious, it is not clear whether that soil really was Transylvanian or not.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#100  Postby newolder » Jan 09, 2020 1:08 pm

^ Goddit now, thanks!
newolder

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV