Edge of Tomorrow

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Edge of Tomorrow

#1  Postby Rome Existed » Jun 08, 2014 11:14 pm

I thought it was a really good movie. Quite different to most other Tom Cruise movies as if you've seen any of the trailers Tom Cruise doesn't start off as the usual hero and then you get to see him die about a bajillion times as he tries to become the hero.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Edge of Tomorrow

#2  Postby theropod » Jun 08, 2014 11:21 pm

Yeah, we saw it at an IMAX 3D, and was very pleased. The transformation from talking head to warrior was cool.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Rome Existed » Jun 08, 2014 11:25 pm

theropod wrote:Yeah, we saw it at an IMAX 3D, and was very pleased. The transformation from talking head to warrior was cool.

RS

Not to mention at times absolutely hilarious.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby theropod » Jun 09, 2014 2:26 am

Agreed! Major to Private in a flash.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Sovereign » Jun 09, 2014 4:37 am

It's the live action version of All You Need Is Kill. I love the manga, going to watch the movie this week.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby quisquose » Jun 09, 2014 7:26 am

Very good film, getting very good reviews, and yet tanking at the box office in the wake of Godzilla and X-Men.

It seems that the cinema audience can't see beyond a certain type of, what I find quite tedious, action/superhero movie these days.

I guess it's also evidence that Tom Cruise is no selling point these days. I hate Tom Cruise, but this and Oblivion have been two of my favourite movies recently.
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby theropod » Jun 09, 2014 1:32 pm

quisquose wrote:Very good film, getting very good reviews, and yet tanking at the box office in the wake of Godzilla and X-Men.

It seems that the cinema audience can't see beyond a certain type of, what I find quite tedious, action/superhero movie these days.

I guess it's also evidence that Tom Cruise is no selling point these days. I hate Tom Cruise, but this and Oblivion have been two of my favourite movies recently.

I thought Oblivion was a super flick.

I just try to suspend all prejudices I have about the actors if I go to the theater. These days I'm so blown away by the technology put into filming something like Oblivion or EoT, the presentation on an IMAX screen and a killa sound system make almost anything worth a crap an enjoyable experience. My wife and I live too far away from an IMAX theater to make it habitual but if we made more money and lived closer we'd see a lot more films than we do. Being a pro movie critic would be a perfect job for me.

I'd like to have seen EoT in do better at the box office, but I honestly feel it's a better movie than Godzilla and I saw that film in 3D at a nice DLP theater. The first half of Godzilla was about as boring as it gets, and being a paleo geek some of the crap they used in the plot line made me gag (reminding me of something a creationist would come up with to explain giganiticism in dinosaurs). Still, the name alone allowed Godzilla draw a crowd, and has been around a lot longer than Tom. :lol:

Anyone linked to a Blue Oyster Cult video yet?

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Animavore » Jun 09, 2014 1:38 pm

I thought Oblivion was complete and utter, predictable rubbish.

This thread yesterday had gotten me interested in seeing the film this weekend. Now I'm not so sure :(
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Sendraks » Jun 09, 2014 1:40 pm

I also enjoyed EoT and is another fine example of Cruise to play a character before he slowly returns to "Tom Cruise default action hero mode." Which, in fairness to Tom, is something he's always been pretty watchable as. But still, nice to see him do something different for a while, if only to show he can.

I'm disappointed that this isn't doing so well at the box office. The plot isn't exactly complicated or deep, just well executed and for the last 45mins, really rather tense and suitably dystopian. Plus, Bill Paxton! What's not to like about a movie with Paxton in a glorious scenery chewing role?

I'm not too aggreived at it losing out to Godzilla, because that is a good film that totally appeased my inner 12 year old. I wanted Godzilla to be good, to show that western cinema has got more than just one good action based monster movie in it.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby ED209 » Jun 09, 2014 1:49 pm

Sendraks wrote:...I wanted Godzilla to be good, to show that western cinema has got more than just one good action based monster movie in it.

:scratch: which is what, the last godzilla movie? seems like just the other year that came out, not sure I can face another reboot.

I like the trailer of EoT, but I can't get tom cruise past the oversight committee, not after oblivion anyway (didn't even make it to the end). Might still get to watch it, somehow.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#11  Postby Sendraks » Jun 09, 2014 1:50 pm

ED209 wrote:
:scratch: which is what, the last godzilla movie? seems like just the other year that came out, not sure I can face another reboot.

Oh good grief man, as if I'd be referring to that awful 1998 movie. No, the other moview I was referring to was Pacific Rim.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby ED209 » Jun 09, 2014 1:54 pm

Ah, I thought pacific rim was shit - it's not a bit as good as robot jox ;)

I thought you might have meant cloverfield, which I also didn't rate.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#13  Postby Sendraks » Jun 09, 2014 2:06 pm

ED209 wrote:Ah, I thought pacific rim was shit - it's not a bit as good as robot jox ;)

Ah fair enough - be a funny old world if we all liked the same things.

ED209 wrote:I thought you might have meant cloverfield, which I also didn't rate.

I don't really see Cloverfield as a monster movie, as its more a drama/horror/found footage malarky. I liked it, but it lacks the action and upbeat feel that I require of my monster movies.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby theropod » Jun 09, 2014 2:23 pm

[off topic BS]

I think someone needs to make an Alien movie where the damned things make it to a developed planet and a real war takes place. Fuck the walkers, a horde of those bastards coming at ya would be terrifying. 3D, lots of big guns n lasers n shit, Aliens getting whacked (and doing all sorts of whacking of their own) multiple queens, miles of tunneling and all sorts of traps and gore. That would make the arachnids of Starship Troopers look weak.

What can I say, Animavore, I think Water World was a great movie even if the premise is as stupid as hell. The quad 50 scenes alone are worth the price of admission! Smokers! Dry Land! Paper, paper, paper!

Anyway, there were some parts of the plot for EoT that didn't make sense. Aliens have taken western Europe, and we don't nuke the place? Not even tactical weapons? Really? In a landing force there is no heavy armor in support, no naval involvement and no heavy ground attack air support (such as cruise missiles or daisy cutters) prior to invasion? Yeah, EoT has some issues, but what movie these days doesn't.

I recently watched 12 Years a Slave, after having listened to the audio book, and these were some real disappointments and flubs. Solomon slept on a BOARD and they had him on a mattress. Solomon ran away once, which I felt was a major part of his story, and the movie made no mention of it. There's more but what's the point. The movies are the movies and the books are the books, but in this case it's supposed to be about a real Solomon Northrup and the very real life of a slave.

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Sendraks » Jun 09, 2014 2:28 pm

theropod wrote:[off topic BS]

I think someone needs to make an Alien movie where the damned things make it to a developed planet and a real war takes place. Fuck the walkers, a horde of those bastards coming at ya would be terrifying. 3D, lots of big guns n lasers n shit, Aliens getting whacked (and doing all sorts of whacking of their own) multiple queens, miles of tunneling and all sorts of traps and gore. That would make the arachnids of Starship Troopers look weak.

That would be the plot of the Aliens: Earth War graphic novels that were published in the late 80s early 90s iirc. At the time they were considered to be the canonical follow on from Aliens and were pretty darn good.

theropod wrote:What can I say, Animavore, I think Water World was a great movie even if the premise is as stupid as hell. The quad 50 scenes alone are worth the price of admission! Smokers! Dry Land! Paper, paper, paper!

I liked Water World in spite of the stupid premise and even more stupid plot elements. Not to mention the line "sails, I hate sails."

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby theropod » Jun 09, 2014 2:37 pm

Heh, I liked the old man down in the oil reserve in the little boat saying, "Oh, thank god."

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Animavore » Jun 09, 2014 2:40 pm

I also like Waterworld.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Wuffy » Jun 22, 2014 3:42 pm

I loved this film. Was a complete surprise.

MY main point of contention is when She kisses him at the end. She's known him for... less then 24 hours... Why the sudden romance? Personally If he fell in love with her (Obviously did) That's fine he spent a LOT of time being around her. Great. But her.. At the end. Da fuck?
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Sovereign » Jun 24, 2014 9:06 am

So I saw the movies and I liked it. It was a little different from the comic. Not to spoiler but the ending in the movie was happier. There was a subtheme in both that was the lead in for the ending in the comic but not the movie. Well, I should say the movie handled it differently. Also, the qualifier regarding their powers is not in the comic. Other than a few minor things, the story was the same.

Wuffy, that was sort of addressed in the comic but not at all in the movie and the coffee scene is played out differently too.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Rome Existed » Jun 24, 2014 11:09 am

Wuffy wrote:I loved this film. Was a complete surprise.

MY main point of contention is when She kisses him at the end. She's known him for... less then 24 hours... Why the sudden romance? Personally If he fell in love with her (Obviously did) That's fine he spent a LOT of time being around her. Great. But her.. At the end. Da fuck?

What, men can fuck a woman after meeting her for 5 seconds but a woman can't kiss a guy after most of a day? :naughty:
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Film & TV