Figure skating et al at the Olympics

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Figure skating et al at the Olympics

#101  Postby Macdoc » Feb 21, 2018 6:17 am

We're having quite an Olympics with the regrettable exception of the women's curling team who are out :D

20 medals and 9 golds but might be more after tonight.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#102  Postby Shrunk » Feb 21, 2018 9:06 pm

This image of what curling used to look like in the 1970's has been getting a lot of attention up here in Canada.

He's actually throwing the pivotal stone of the world championship there. I remember the ashtrays beside the the sheets when I used to curl, but I guess they didn't have them in this instance.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as- ... -1.4543241
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Shrunk » Feb 21, 2018 9:16 pm

I still think having to call themselves "Olympic Athletes from Russia" is a really lame punishment. But I see they have yet to win a single gold, so it seems the drug suspensions have had some effect.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Macdoc » Feb 21, 2018 9:50 pm

The US hasn't been sterling either ....
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Macdoc » Feb 22, 2018 3:24 am

16 years old ....just pulls off an INSANE half pipe performance....94.8 absolutely nuts ....even the kid was stunned.
Run might just be the best of the event.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#106  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 22, 2018 11:02 am

Macdoc wrote:16 years old ....just pulls off an INSANE half pipe performance....94.8 absolutely nuts ....even the kid was stunned.
Run might just be the best of the event.

But then he just skied down just when the competition was heating up. I wanted him to go for gold.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#107  Postby Shrunk » Feb 22, 2018 12:55 pm

This US team looks like the curlers I remember from my childhood. Just give them walrus mustaches and put corn brooms in their hands and butts in their mouths.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#108  Postby newolder » Feb 24, 2018 9:09 am

5 in end 8 - score now USA 10 5 Sweden! Gold for US? Well played. (Curling, obv.)

... Sweden get 2 back in end 9... Still looking good for US...

10 7 final score.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#109  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 24, 2018 10:43 am

Another gold yesterday. men's 1000 metres. It has been a good games for us.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#110  Postby Macdoc » Feb 24, 2018 2:28 pm

Ah well this girl has her place in Olympic legend - no easy run either - snowboarders around the world rejoice :drunk:

followup from here
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/film- ... l#p2615397

Ester Ledecka seals status as Winter Olympics snow queen with double gold
Czech wins second gold of Games, in snowboard slalom
‘I will think about this moment until the end of my life’
Sean Ingle in Pyeongchang @seaningle
Sat 24 Feb 2018 09.09 GMT Last modified on Sat 24 Feb 2018 11.30 GMT
[url][/url]
Gold medal winner Ester Ledecka celebrates after the women’s parallel giant slalom.

Ester Ledecka confirmed her position as the snow queen of these Winter Olympics – in fact, arguably, any Winter Games – with a supreme victory in the snowboard parallel giant slalom on Saturday.

The win made the 22-year-old from the Czech Republic the first woman to ever achieve gold medals in different sports at a Winter Games, following her sensational victory in the women’s Super-G skiing last weekend.

“This is fantastic,” she admitted. “It was something very special and I think I will think about this moment until the end of my life. I enjoyed every run and I’m very happy to be here and stand on the highest place on the podium.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... ouble-gold

:clap:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#111  Postby Shrunk » Feb 24, 2018 4:28 pm

Good explanation for anyone mystified by the scoring in figure skating (like me):

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/2/23/1 ... re-skating

Bottom line: Executing more difficult jumps imperfectly beats executing less difficult jumps perfectly.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#112  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 24, 2018 5:22 pm

Shrunk wrote:Good explanation for anyone mystified by the scoring in figure skating (like me):

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/2/23/1 ... re-skating

Bottom line: Executing more difficult jumps imperfectly beats executing less difficult jumps perfectly.

Purely subjective.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Macdoc » Feb 24, 2018 5:58 pm

Hardly :roll: just because you can't comprehend it doesn't mean that others are as befogged. :roll:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#114  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 24, 2018 6:44 pm

Judges decide ok? Subjective or are you incapable of discerning between subjective and objective?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#115  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 24, 2018 11:17 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Judges decide ok? Subjective or are you incapable of discerning between subjective and objective?

Perhaps you're incapable of discerning between 'purely' and 'somewhat.' If there are objective measures the judges are required to stick to, then it can't be purely subjective. If everyone is judged on the same number of specified elements, with clear rules for scoring, then it's definitely not purely subjective. 4 spins beats 3 spins is pretty objective. Completing an element cleanly vs. completing an element while stumbling is pretty objective. Everyone having to do 10 elements is pretty objective. The reason that people think it's "purely subjective" is because they don't understand the judging, not because there aren't any objective measures. It's like me not knowing the offside rule in football and complaining that they're just making it up when my team gets a goal disallowed.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#116  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Feb 25, 2018 3:04 am

Only part of that I'd disagree with is that when my team has a goal disallowed it IS because they're just making it up. In contrast, when the other team has a goal disallowed...well that's just good refereeing.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#117  Postby aban57 » Feb 25, 2018 9:55 am

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:Only part of that I'd disagree with is that when my team has a goal disallowed it IS because they're just making it up. In contrast, when the other team has a goal disallowed...well that's just good refereeing.

You're a typical supporter then :lol:
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#118  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 25, 2018 9:58 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Judges decide ok? Subjective or are you incapable of discerning between subjective and objective?

Perhaps you're incapable of discerning between 'purely' and 'somewhat.' If there are objective measures the judges are required to stick to, then it can't be purely subjective. If everyone is judged on the same number of specified elements, with clear rules for scoring, then it's definitely not purely subjective. 4 spins beats 3 spins is pretty objective. Completing an element cleanly vs. completing an element while stumbling is pretty objective. Everyone having to do 10 elements is pretty objective. The reason that people think it's "purely subjective" is because they don't understand the judging, not because there aren't any objective measures. It's like me not knowing the offside rule in football and complaining that they're just making it up when my team gets a goal disallowed.

What is the Olympic record for pairs figure skating.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#119  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 25, 2018 10:01 am

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:Only part of that I'd disagree with is that when my team has a goal disallowed it IS because they're just making it up. In contrast, when the other team has a goal disallowed...well that's just good refereeing.

These days with modern technology field sports are becoming very objective. Just take rugby where the TMO is looking the whole time from different angles at the match.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#120  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Feb 25, 2018 10:56 am

TMO decisions are consistently terrible. Even after looking at it from 7 angles 30 times they still make very bad decisions. It has reduced the number of referee howlers, but it's far from perfect.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV