Game of Thrones

HBO

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Game of Thrones

#101  Postby Fallible » May 03, 2011 10:22 pm

Yeah, I am at peace with The Dance now.
Sorry that you think you had it rough in the first world.
You ought to get out a map sooner than later.
Knowledge has turned into a trap; you have to slow down.
Get out of your head and spend less time alone.
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#102  Postby Lizard_King » May 04, 2011 8:59 am

Hm, not quite how I would have pictured Tywin Lannister, but he looks like a fairly good cast for the role. Seems like Lord Tywin will appear earlier than I thought, though, as early as episode 5. But since they're not sticking to the time line of the novels entirely, I guess that's fine. ;)
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#103  Postby andyx1205 » May 08, 2011 10:43 am

I just heard of this show yesterday, so I watched the first 3 episodes, loved them, and bought the books!

Sean Benn was great in Lord of the Rings, and he's been great thus far in GoT as well.
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
andyx1205

Name: Andy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Lizard_King » May 08, 2011 3:34 pm

Wow. I only now had the time to watch the third episode, and I must say, this one exceeds the to previous ones, imho. (Slight Spoilers ahead, if you haven't yet seen this one.)

The scenes in King's Landing were awesome, all the characters of the small council are very well cast, and the dialogues were quite intriguing. Also, I think I've grown accustomed to the fact that the producers are not exactly loyal to the books. In this episode, the extra scenes and dialogues didn't bother me at all, but rather contributed to the whole thing. It's a little like getting to know and old friend all over again... ;)
On the other hand, I am missing the magnitude of the city. Unlike the Wall, which is shown to be as freaking huge as it should be, the sheer size of King's Landing didn't really show in the episodes so far (same as with the Khalasar. Actually, if they would introduce the scenes with a total overview of the (computer animated) city, like the one they had in the beginning of the first episode, it would help, I think.
One more thing: Jamie Lannister definitely is one of the most interesting characters on the show, and I really like how he is getting about a hundred scenes more than has in the books. In the novels, the tales of the Kingslayer are spread mostly though indirect references, and other people talking about him; something they obviously couldn't do on the show. The way they solved this problem words very well for me. Can't wait to see him in the next few season. (The same goes for Catelyn, I'm so looking forward to her, well... future in the third and fourth book. Also, I wonder if anyone realized how important the scene between her and Eddard Stark by the gate was... :ask: But I digress.)

The scenes on the Wall were awesome as well, and I think the cast for Lord Commander Mormont is brilliant. He comes across exactly as he should, the "old bear", as he is called in the books. Maester Aemon, however, is not really to my taste. I always pictured him skinnier, and, more importantly, older. A frail old man who has lived for a hundred years, with a butt-load of history on his back? Looked better in my head. Imagination: 1, TV: 0.
It's also nice to meet Yoren early on, since he gets more important in the second book/season. (I so hope they're not giving up on the show after the summer.)
And has anyone noted how the way the pronounce "Maester" in the show sounds peculiarly German?

The scenes across the narrow sea were fine, not exactly great, but acceptable. The one with Daenarys and Viserys in the grasslands was a little short to my taste, it didn't bear as much importance as it did in the books. Then again, I liked the dialogue between the exile Knight Mormont (another great cast, imho) and the Bloodrider. A nice way to sum up some information here.

I also liked how Old Nan's monologue at Bran's bed was taken from the book pretty much word-for-word, and yes, I didn't have to look that up, I still remember most of it from my last read. Really captivating atmosphere there.

One last thing: How cool is Syrio Forel? Now if certain other Braavosi people will be as colourful as he is... :grin:
Also a very nice lesson in "How to use foreshadowing in a TV show" there in the end.

Well, that's my 2 cents. I gotta give it to them, after being slightly disappointed after the first two episodes, they really managed to reignite the spark in me with number three. Looking forward to the next one tomorrow.
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#105  Postby Mazille » May 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Lizard_King wrote: (I so hope they're not giving up on the show after the summer.)

They won't. There's already a contract for Season 2, I hear. :dance:

Lizard_King wrote:One last thing: How cool is Syrio Forel? Now if certain other Braavosi people will be as colourful as he is... :grin:

Just so. He ranks up there with the Red Viper, Tyrion and The Hound. Oh, and Jamie once he quits being an arrogant cardboard knight.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)

Birthday
Print view this post

#106  Postby Lizard_King » May 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Dammit, I actually knew about season 2. :doh:

And why the hell is there no cast yet for Oberyn Martell? Granted, he won't appear for quite some time, but still... (Of course, I completely agree with you on your choice of awesome characters. ;))

On the other hand, while researching the cast, or rather trying to find out who's gonna be the Red Viper, I just found out that Cersei started off as Sarah Connor in the Sarah Connor Chronicles and also played the Queen in 300 (she looked a fucking lot younger then...), and that Benjen Stark is actually Jesus from the Passion. Who would have thought, our alleged Lord and Saviour among the rapists and thieves of the Night's Watch... :coffee:
Last edited by Lizard_King on May 08, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#107  Postby akigr8 » May 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Just watched the first episode, I think I need to buy some popcorn from uncle Orph. :popcorn:

Thanks for the tip. :cheers:
I once applied for a job as a mustard cutter.

But unfortunately I wasn’t quite good enough.
akigr8

Name: Kim

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#108  Postby SPMaximus » May 09, 2011 11:20 am

Hodooorrr :popcorn:

Must have been a different episode you get to see Hodor penis, i thought he said it was episode 4, might have said episode 5, fuck knows :coffee:

Overall pretty boring episode, worst so far, not enough Syrio Forel :smoke:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#109  Postby Fallible » May 09, 2011 11:33 am

Lizard_King wrote:Dammit, I actually knew about season 2. :doh:

And why the hell is there no cast yet for Oberyn Martell? Granted, he won't appear for quite some time, but still... (Of course, I completely agree with you on your choice of awesome characters. ;))

On the other hand, while researching the cast, or rather trying to find out who's gonna be the Red Viper, I just found out that Cersei started off as Sarah Connor in the Sarah Connor Chronicles and also played the Queen in 300 (she looked a fucking lot younger then...), and that Benjen Stark is actually Jesus from the Passion. Who would have thought, our alleged Lord and Saviour among the rapists and thieves of the Night's Watch... :coffee:

Cersei is also the main woman in The Brothers Grimm, with Heath Ledger.
Sorry that you think you had it rough in the first world.
You ought to get out a map sooner than later.
Knowledge has turned into a trap; you have to slow down.
Get out of your head and spend less time alone.
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#110  Postby Mazille » May 09, 2011 11:47 am

SPMaximus wrote:Hodooorrr :popcorn:

Must have been a different episode you get to see Hodor penis, i thought he said it was episode 4, might have said episode 5, fuck knows :coffee:

Overall pretty boring episode, worst so far, not enough Syrio Forel :smoke:

Not much they can do about it, really. The plot is the plot. :dunno:
However, I haven't watched it yet, so they might just have botched it. I don't think that's likely, though.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)

Birthday
Print view this post

#111  Postby Lizard_King » May 09, 2011 8:01 pm

And another episode. Spoilers for number 4 ahead, so beware. ;)

I didn't think it was exactly boring, as some blasphemer here said earlier, it just didn't have as much suspense and excitement as episode 3 for example. The tourney was a very small thing compared to the way it was described in the books, but there's going to be another one shortly, I believe. They really did live out their fantasies of violence this time, though. If they make a random (fairly random) knight's death so bloody, I really wonder how they will depict certain battles and fights in the second and third season...

The dialogue about the Greyjoy Rebellion and all that was nicely done, a little more dominant in the series than in the books. In the novels, this stuff isn't really mentioned until the third volume (I didn't even now who Theon Greyjoy was until then).

I didn't particularly like the Viserys scene with the random hooker in the bath tub. I guess they had to get back to the old violence-to-boob ratio from the pilot. The scene did provide some background information about the dragons, however, and that pirate the nameless whore talked about might just have been Salladhor Saan... ;)

The plot on the Wall was fairly well done, pretty close to the books, just a little short for my taste. The whole thing with Samwell, Grenn, Pyp and Ghost (where the hell was that wolf in all the other episodes anyways?) went on for a few chapters in the novels, and here it was done quite quickly. Also, in the novel John fights with Pyp and Grenn at his side to protect Samwell against three others. Still, enjoyable.

The showdown in the Inn was also a little shorter than I imagined, and not having the insight in to Lady Stark's head that one had in the novels killed some of the suspense here. I wonder if the guy who offered Tyrion his room for some coin was actually Bronn. Hard to say.

All in all, it was a decent episode, though not as good as the last one. But life's not perfect, or so I've heard. ;)

One last thing: Is Sansa getting prettier? That girl is absolutely gorgeous, and that actress is so absolutely underage... :oops:

Fallible wrote:
Lizard_King wrote:Dammit, I actually knew about season 2. :doh:

Cersei is also the main woman in The Brothers Grimm, with Heath Ledger.

Don't remember too much about the movie, and the only female I remember is Monica Bellucci... :scratch:

I've googled some pics from the movie, and you're right, there she his. I still like her better as the slightly paranoid Queen with a heart of ice...
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#112  Postby Mazille » May 09, 2011 8:05 pm

I wonder if the guy who offered Tyrion his room for some coin was actually Bronn. Hard to say.

Not in the books he wasn't.
Need to watch it now. Couldn't do it all day because we had a friend with kid visiting and there is no way I'm going to switch on GoT with a 6-year-old around. :lol:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)

Birthday
Print view this post

#113  Postby Lizard_King » May 09, 2011 9:05 pm

Well, there are a few 6-year-olds on the show... :smug:
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#114  Postby Latimeria » May 09, 2011 9:46 pm

Hey all, I'm trying to avoid reading anything that might spoil it for me... I just got HBO a few days ago, and this series looks really cool. My question is: Do I need to start watching with episode 1 or is this the kind of show I can still jump into now? How much have I missed anyway?
" [This space is for rent to "which ever version of POOF creates the largest cloud of obnoxious smoke following the POOF."[1] "- God
Works Cited:
[1] - theropod. Parsimony of the Miraculous. RatSkep Peanut Gallery Press, 2011.
Latimeria
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#115  Postby Mazille » May 09, 2011 9:50 pm

Start at episode 1. Seriously. You won't have a clue what's going on otherwise. Once that episode converted you, buy each and every one of the books and read them.

That is all. :coffee:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)

Birthday
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#116  Postby Latimeria » May 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Mazille wrote:Start at episode 1. Seriously. You won't have a clue what's going on otherwise. Once that episode converted you, buy each and every one of the books and read them.

That is all. :coffee:

Thanks, and I'm sure with all the HBO channels one of them is bound to be replaying them!
" [This space is for rent to "which ever version of POOF creates the largest cloud of obnoxious smoke following the POOF."[1] "- God
Works Cited:
[1] - theropod. Parsimony of the Miraculous. RatSkep Peanut Gallery Press, 2011.
Latimeria
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#117  Postby Lizard_King » May 09, 2011 10:00 pm

What the blobfish said. :nod:
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#118  Postby j.mills » May 09, 2011 11:09 pm

:this: should go on a T-shirt. :grin:
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#119  Postby Mazille » May 10, 2011 8:24 am

:mrgreen:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)

Birthday
Print view this post

#120  Postby aban57 » May 11, 2011 9:16 pm

I just watched the 4th episode...
Just amazing, especially the end. I can't wait to see what's next !
(I love the Imp)
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV