Game of Thrones

HBO

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Game of Thrones

#41  Postby AndreD » Apr 21, 2011 9:38 am

MedGen wrote:
Rickon Stark is missing too, is this going to be a permanent omission?

Rickon was the one on the saddle when Bran was practising Archery. He was also standing next to Catelyn when they were greeting the king.
AndreD

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby MedGen » Apr 21, 2011 12:09 pm

AndreD wrote:
MedGen wrote:
Rickon Stark is missing too, is this going to be a permanent omission?

Rickon was the one on the saddle when Bran was practising Archery. He was also standing next to Catelyn when they were greeting the king.

Ah, I completely missed that, thanks for pointing it out.

Mazille wrote:
:nod:
I also like how almost nobody looks "movie-pretty", yet moslty not unpleasant. Even Dany - who I think is smoking hot - looks "special" and not just like a Barbie doll.

Well, most characters aren't exactly how I had imagined them. I thought Cersei would look instantly more like the conniving bitch she is; I know she's described as "comely", but not in the way I envisaged.

Khal Drogo is just plain wrong (except for his physique maybe). They describe him as having almond-shaped eyes, which I took as looking Mongolian; I always presumed the Mongol hordes where the parallel of the Dorthraki, but he just looks tanned.

Mazille wrote:Indeed, it does. I didn't like the King's guards' helmets very much, though. They seemed to fit better into a Lord of the Rings setting than in the more "realistic" setting of Westeros.

I always thought they were open-faced, more like elaborate half-helms. I do think Jaime Lannister's armour shoud have stood out more though.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the first episode, it certainly looks promising for the rest of this, and the next, season. Fingers crossed they go the whole hog and do the entire series of books properly.
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Mazille » Apr 21, 2011 12:16 pm

MedGen wrote:
Mazille wrote:
:nod:
I also like how almost nobody looks "movie-pretty", yet moslty not unpleasant. Even Dany - who I think is smoking hot - looks "special" and not just like a Barbie doll.

Well, most characters aren't exactly how I had imagined them. I thought Cersei would look instantly more like the conniving bitch she is; I know she's described as "comely", but not in the way I envisaged.

Kinda. I thought she looked good, though and just right for her age.

MedGen wrote:Khal Drogo is just plain wrong (except for his physique maybe). They describe him as having almond-shaped eyes, which I took as looking Mongolian; I always presumed the Mongol hordes where the parallel of the Dorthraki, but he just looks tanned.

I share the sentiment. Then again, when was the last time you saw a two metre Mongolian? :lol:

MedGen wrote:
Mazille wrote:Indeed, it does. I didn't like the King's guards' helmets very much, though. They seemed to fit better into a Lord of the Rings setting than in the more "realistic" setting of Westeros.

I always thought they were open-faced, more like elaborate half-helms. I do think Jaime Lannister's armour shoud have stood out more though.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with the first episode, it certainly looks promising for the rest of this, and the next, season. Fingers crossed they go the whole hog and do the entire series of books properly.

:cheers:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#44  Postby mraltair » Apr 21, 2011 12:31 pm

Having not read or even heard of the books/book (?), I though it was great. I guess I'm at a disadvantage with the characters, because that wasn't really explained. I won't say that's a negative because the whole 50mins was full of story and background, I think it's impossible to do, so I'm looking forward to the next episode.

I did notice there the ratio of women to men is all over the place. A dwarf hogging 4 women when other men have to settle with their sisters. Each to their own I guess. Literally.

Also, I want a wolf puppy now.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Lizard_King » Apr 21, 2011 1:04 pm

Fallible wrote:And where was Tywin? Hmm? Hmmmm?

Tywin Lannister? He wasn't part of the King's party that traveled north to Winterfell, he was not even present at the court at this time. His fist appearance should be in episode 8 or 9, I guess, after Tyrion comes back from the Eyrie with his clansmen, which is after Robert's death.

mraltair wrote:Having not read or even heard of the books/book (?), I though it was great. I guess I'm at a disadvantage with the characters, because that wasn't really explained. I won't say that's a negative because the whole 50mins was full of story and background, I think it's impossible to do, so I'm looking forward to the next episode.

I did notice there the ratio of women to men is all over the place. A dwarf hogging 4 women when other men have to settle with their sisters. Each to their own I guess. Literally.

Read. The. Books. 4 of 'em are already available, the 5th one is coming July 12, and after that, there's 2 more to go. Seriously, if you even remotely like fantasy novels, you will live A Song of Ice and Fire. It is, by far, the most awesome thing ever. (And no, I'm not exaggerating. ;))
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#46  Postby SPMaximus » Apr 21, 2011 1:10 pm

reading the books would spoil the tv series though :P

though no doubt HBO will cancel after 2-3 series :shifty:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Fallible » Apr 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Lizard_King wrote:

Tywin Lannister? He wasn't part of the King's party that traveled north to Winterfell, he was not even present at the court at this time. His fist appearance should be in episode 8 or 9, I guess, after Tyrion comes back from the Eyrie with his clansmen, which is after Robert's death.

Ah OK then, I was convinced he appeared early on, but I will take your word for it.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Fallible » Apr 21, 2011 1:21 pm

mraltair wrote:

:rofl:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Lizard_King » Apr 21, 2011 1:23 pm

Fallible wrote:
Lizard_King wrote:

Ah OK then, I was convinced he appeared early on, but I will take your word for it.

To be honest, I had to check this first to make sure I'm not talking bullshit here, but it turned out, I was right the first time. Good thing I read the whole series like 4 or 5 times... :coffee:
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Fallible » Apr 21, 2011 1:25 pm

:lol: Well I've only read them once, so I was right to trust you.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#51  Postby j.mills » Apr 21, 2011 10:47 pm

Just FYI: all Martin's books are great, not just the fantasy. That's just FYI. I'm not on commission or anything. :shifty:

PS. Isn't it reasonable anyway if the kids do look alike? Family resemblance and all that?
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Mazille » Apr 21, 2011 10:49 pm

j.mills wrote:Just FYI: all Martin's books are great, not just the fantasy. That's just FYI. I'm not on commission or anything. :shifty:

PS. Isn't it reasonable anyway if the kids do look alike? Family resemblance and all that?

There's a difference between clone and brother. :smug:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Lizard_King » Apr 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Mazille wrote:
j.mills wrote:Just FYI: all Martin's books are great, not just the fantasy. That's just FYI. I'm not on commission or anything. :shifty:

There's a difference between clone and brother. :smug:

Well, besides, Rob and Jon are only half-related, with Jon being a bastard and all that (and in the books, Rob as more of a reddish hair color, closer to the Tullys then the Starks, a little like Sansa, whereas Jon, and Arya for that matter, look more like a Stark with their dark hair and the stern features.) And Theon is not related to anyone, since he is a ward at Winterfell (but that really doesn't show in the first episode, does it?).
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Mazille » Apr 22, 2011 12:17 pm

I guess you can only cram so much characterisation and background into an hour. :dunno:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Lizard_King » Apr 22, 2011 12:29 pm

I think if they had 2 hours for each episode, it would have been nearly perfect.

Interestingly enough, there was a little report on GOT on a German radio channel yesterday, some time around 11 p.m., a they were pretty amazed. Never heard anyone do a report on a show that's not even remotely aired in Germany, and they usually don't care about American TV. I guess all the advertising payed off :dunno:
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby Lizard_King » Apr 25, 2011 3:28 pm

Just watched the second episode, and I have to say, I'm growing more fond of this series. Once you've accepted that some parts are altered, and once you've stopped comparing it to the books, it really gets better. Besides, there was already less sex and more violence in this episode, so to ratio is shifting (although they did have some fairly hot girl-on-girl action... :naughty2: If only they had taken their clothes off... :roll: ).

Oh, and the guy they casted for the Hound is doing an awesome job, imho. I can already see how he develops as a character in the course of the second season.

One little point of criticism (a minor spoiler here): What about Bran's dream? The crow telling him to fly, to open his third eye, the vision of things beyond the wall? That stuff gets kind of important later on, and I don't think it would have taken much effort to visualize the scene.
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#57  Postby MedGen » Apr 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Spoiler post
I think they might do the dream retrospectively in the next episode; Bran opening his eyes at that point was just an enticing end to the episode, rather than just leaving it with Lady's death.

An another awesome episode definitely. I always imagined the Hound as completely bald, but I think this guy might be the right man for the job. I'm still not entierly sure about Jon Snows acting ability. The age of the Robb and Jon is quite distracting as well. As for Tommen, there is no way that kid would ever pass for being six years old.

Edit to add: My greatest fear is that they'll do these two seasons then stop, that would be a grave injustice to the books and the fans, imo. I think this is one of the scenarios where it should be all or nothing.
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Areopagitican » Apr 25, 2011 3:41 pm

I watched it and I was a bit disappointed.

I couldn't help imagine one of executive producers going "Shoddily done script? Awkwardly constructed sets? Weird actors? Well... True. But TITS! Lots and lots of TITS!"
Areopagitican

Name: Max
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#59  Postby SPMaximus » Apr 25, 2011 3:53 pm

hardly any tits in this episode, HBO disappoints me :popcorn:

:smoke:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 26, 2011 7:58 pm

Complaint:

The careful choreography a nude Drogo followed in order to prevent his penis being visible.

No effort whatsoever to conceal is involved when someone's tits are flopping and bouncing about. The second a penis is involved though, good gracious, don't let anyone see THAT!

How about a little balance?
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV