Game of Thrones

HBO

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Game of Thrones

#6201  Postby Agrippina » Sep 14, 2017 7:30 am

I don't like fantasy in the sense of vampires and walking dead, and especially not fairies. Yet I like LOTR and this story. Perhaps it's the drama, or the feel of history more than fantasy.
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#6202  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 14, 2017 7:34 am

Agrippina wrote:I don't like fantasy in the sense of vampires and walking dead, and especially not fairies. Yet I like LOTR and this story. Perhaps it's the drama, or the feel of history more than fantasy.

Well, vampires and the walking dead tend to be a seperate section of fantasy from the more LotR type fantasy.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6203  Postby VazScep » Sep 14, 2017 7:38 am

Agrippina wrote:I don't like fantasy in the sense of vampires and walking dead, and especially not fairies. Yet I like LOTR and this story. Perhaps it's the drama, or the feel of history more than fantasy.
I wish GoT didn't have dragons. I was okay with the whitewalkers so long as they were irrelevant.

The dedication at the beginning of Book 3 makes me think that Martin was of two minds on the fantasy stuff, and he has said that he doesn't make an essential distinction between fantasy and sci-fi. Even on the dragons, he is insistent that they are four-limbed wyverns, because it doesn't make evolutionary sense (!) for them to be six-limbed.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6204  Postby crank » Sep 14, 2017 8:05 am

willhud9 wrote:GOT wasn't genre defying and neither was ASoIaF. It's popular because people who don't like fantasy can watch it and be sucked into the drama of the show.

I enjoy it, but to say it has made me evaluate myself or hold the fantasy genre to higher critique is laughable. I can list 10 fantasy series all better than Song of Ice and Fire.

Is one of those Glen Cook's The Black Company books? I've yet to come across anyone who's read them much less appreciated them as much as I did. They can be incredibly funny and dark, and the way he portrays the use of magic and it's presence in the world is the best I've come across.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#6205  Postby Shrunk » Sep 14, 2017 5:01 pm

willhud9 wrote:I can list 10 fantasy series all better than Song of Ice and Fire.
Z

Please do. I'd appreciate the reading recommendations.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6206  Postby scott1328 » Sep 14, 2017 9:14 pm

Dragonriders of Pern for one. But don't read past All The Werys of Pern
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6207  Postby Agrippina » Sep 15, 2017 7:53 am

I realised my error last when I read the scene when Jon realises that Aemon was a Targaryen.

Aemon was the son of Maeker I, fourth son of Daeron II, and brother of Aegon V, the Unlikely, Maekar's fourth son (233-259) and grandfather of Aerys II, the Mad King, making Aemon the Mad King's great-uncle.

Aemon aids Jon Snow in helping his friend Samwell Tarly become a steward of the Night's Watch, fearing for the boy's safety if he remains a recruit under the brutal training of Ser Alliser Thorne.s Aemon counsels Jon Snow when he learns Jon's family is in danger, for he knew Jon was having thoughts of deserting to come to House Stark's aid, just as Aemon had considered helping House Targaryen during Robert's Rebellion.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Aemon_Targaryen_(son_of_Maekar_I)

“A toothless smile quivered on the ancient lips. “Only a maester of the Citadel, bound in service to Castle Black and the Night’s Watch. In my order, we put aside our house names when we take our vows and don the collar.” The old man touched the maester’s chain that hung loosely around his thin, fleshless neck. “My father was Maekar, the First of his Name, and my brother Aegon reigned after him in my stead. My grandfather named me for Prince Aemon the Dragonknight, who was his uncle, or his father, depending on which tale you believe. Aemon, he called me…”
“Aemon… Targaryen?” Jon could scarcely believe it.
“Once,” the old man said. “Once. So you see, Jon, I do know… and knowing, I will not tell you stay or go. You must make that choice yourself, and live with it all the rest of your days. As I have.” His voice fell to a whisper. “As I have…”

Excerpt From: George R. R. Martin. “A Game of Thrones.” iBooks.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#6208  Postby crank » Sep 15, 2017 9:47 am

Agrippina wrote:I realised my error last when I read the scene when Jon realises that Aemon was a Targaryen.

Aemon was the son of Maeker I, fourth son of Daeron II, and brother of Aegon V, the Unlikely, Maekar's fourth son (233-259) and grandfather of Aerys II, the Mad King, making Aemon the Mad King's great-uncle.

Aemon aids Jon Snow in helping his friend Samwell Tarly become a steward of the Night's Watch, fearing for the boy's safety if he remains a recruit under the brutal training of Ser Alliser Thorne.s Aemon counsels Jon Snow when he learns Jon's family is in danger, for he knew Jon was having thoughts of deserting to come to House Stark's aid, just as Aemon had considered helping House Targaryen during Robert's Rebellion.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Aemon_Targaryen_(son_of_Maekar_I)

“A toothless smile quivered on the ancient lips. “Only a maester of the Citadel, bound in service to Castle Black and the Night’s Watch. In my order, we put aside our house names when we take our vows and don the collar.” The old man touched the maester’s chain that hung loosely around his thin, fleshless neck. “My father was Maekar, the First of his Name, and my brother Aegon reigned after him in my stead. My grandfather named me for Prince Aemon the Dragonknight, who was his uncle, or his father, depending on which tale you believe. Aemon, he called me…”
“Aemon… Targaryen?” Jon could scarcely believe it.
“Once,” the old man said. “Once. So you see, Jon, I do know… and knowing, I will not tell you stay or go. You must make that choice yourself, and live with it all the rest of your days. As I have.” His voice fell to a whisper. “As I have…”

Excerpt From: George R. R. Martin. “A Game of Thrones.” iBooks.

You might remember, in the books, his dying words show how that past still haunts him.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#6209  Postby Agrippina » Sep 15, 2017 11:07 am

Yes. I do remember that. :thumbup:

Also in the book when Jon decides to join Robb's fight, and he has this conversation with Aemon:

“But he had not left the Wall for that; he had left because he was after all his father’s son, and Robb’s brother. The gift of a sword, even a sword as fine as Longclaw, did not make him a Mormont. Nor was he Aemon Targaryen. Three times the old man had chosen, and three times he had chosen honor, but that was him. Even now, Jon could not decide whether the maester had stayed because he was weak and craven, or because he was strong and true. Yet he understood what the old man had meant, about the pain of choosing; he understood that all too well.”

Excerpt From: George R. R. Martin. “1A Game of Thrones.” iBooks.

That's interesting seeing how his ancestry is later explained.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6210  Postby Adrinius » Sep 15, 2017 2:41 pm

The evidence that season 8 will be a musical is here. Image

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. - Arthur C. Clarke
Adrinius

Male

Print view this post

#6211  Postby Agrippina » Sep 16, 2017 6:33 am

I've seen that before. Very cute.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6212  Postby Agrippina » Sep 16, 2017 6:33 am

ETA: Ooops duplicate post! :grin:
Last edited by Agrippina on Sep 16, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6213  Postby crank » Sep 16, 2017 9:48 am

crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#6214  Postby Fallible » Sep 16, 2017 9:49 am

John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6215  Postby UncertainSloth » Sep 16, 2017 11:08 am

i have not see that before - very cute
Running away, go to it.
Where did you have in mind?
Have to take care.. .unless there's a 'where',
You'll only be wandering blind.
Just more questions... different kind.
Where are we to go? Where are we ever to go?

stephen sondheim
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#6216  Postby crank » Sep 16, 2017 11:39 am

Now you've done it, it's all going to get ugly from here on out.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#6217  Postby crank » Sep 16, 2017 11:40 am

We should congratulate ourselves on writing better drama than the GoT people have managed for much of the last season and a half or so.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#6218  Postby Agrippina » Sep 16, 2017 1:07 pm

You won't find better drama on the internet than on Ratskep.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6219  Postby Spinozasgalt » Sep 16, 2017 1:27 pm

There's Emmerdale though.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6220  Postby VazScep » Sep 16, 2017 5:59 pm

Stewart Lee on GoT:

Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV