Game of Thrones

HBO

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Game of Thrones

#6661  Postby Animavore » May 20, 2019 12:01 pm

Matthew Shute wrote:
The sentencing Jon to the Night's Watch thing didn't make much sense to me. With the army of the dead defeated and peace with the free folk, why would there even still be a Night's Watch? What are they supposed to be guarding the realms of men from, now?

Mexicans.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#6662  Postby electricwhiteboy » May 20, 2019 12:16 pm

Matthew Shute wrote:The sentencing Jon to the Night's Watch thing didn't make much sense to me. With the army of the dead defeated and peace with the free folk, why would there even still be a Night's Watch? What are they supposed to be guarding the realms of men from, now?

Jon was basically sent north to lead the free folk as "punishment" and The Unsullied were weirdly fine with that. WTF? I have the feeling the burning of Kings Landing will happen first in the book, but they couldn't kill Danny, Jamie and Cersei early in the season for TV. The threat of the dead still being on the table would have made the resolution at Kings Landing make a lot more sense.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#6663  Postby LucidFlight » May 20, 2019 12:32 pm

I'm relieved that it's all over. The ending was satisfactory. I have learned not to question too many things.

I chuckled unintentionally at this:

All seasons considered, it has been a good show.

8/10
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6664  Postby Animavore » May 20, 2019 1:57 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Animavore wrote:Bottle of water.

Barely noticeable, unlike the coffee cup.

It's a big nothingburger as they say.

I commented on the article I saw it on this morning that it was a bottle of fanboy tears.

:plot:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6665  Postby willhud9 » May 20, 2019 6:22 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Matthew Shute wrote:Such weird pacing this season. We start with 2 slow buildup episodes (which I thought were great, btw), then 10 episodes worth of story and action jammed into the next 3 episodes (with, erm, inevitably mixed results... to put it mildly), and we end with a slow resolution episode, which had some good moments, but for me didn't feel anything like sufficient payoff (and all sorts of mysteries and side plots are left hanging, with most of the relevant characters dead).

Well, at least Jon got a proper reunion with his good doggy.

The sentencing Jon to the Night's Watch thing didn't make much sense to me. With the army of the dead defeated and peace with the free folk, why would there even still be a Night's Watch? What are they supposed to be guarding the realms of men from, now?

I also don't buy Greyworm, the Unsullied and the Dothraki agreeing with that sentence. Speaking of the Dothraki, where'd they go in the resolution?

I also don’t buy the fact that after Jon kills Dany that he wouldn’t be executed immediately. Why was he arrested and several weeks pass by? Surely Grey Worm who had no issue butchering Lannister npcs would kill Jon?
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6666  Postby purplerat » May 20, 2019 6:56 pm

willhud9 wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Matthew Shute wrote:Such weird pacing this season. We start with 2 slow buildup episodes (which I thought were great, btw), then 10 episodes worth of story and action jammed into the next 3 episodes (with, erm, inevitably mixed results... to put it mildly), and we end with a slow resolution episode, which had some good moments, but for me didn't feel anything like sufficient payoff (and all sorts of mysteries and side plots are left hanging, with most of the relevant characters dead).

I also don't buy Greyworm, the Unsullied and the Dothraki agreeing with that sentence. Speaking of the Dothraki, where'd they go in the resolution?

I also don’t buy the fact that after Jon kills Dany that he wouldn’t be executed immediately. Why was he arrested and several weeks pass by? Surely Grey Worm who had no issue butchering Lannister npcs would kill Jon?

The sentence might be a little hard to believe as justifiable from their POV but just straight up executing Jon immediately would have been pretty dumb on Grey Worm's part.

With Dany dead and Drogon gone her remaining forces aren't exactly in a superior position in a foreign land surrounded by people who probably aren't excited about their presence. Holding Jon, who I presume Grey Worm at that point knew was the rightful heir, is a huge bargaining chip. We don't exactly see what that bargain looks like aside from Jon going to the wall so it's hard to say whether Grey Worm used it wisely but I can't imagine just killing Jon would have worked out better for him.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6667  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 20, 2019 6:59 pm

purplerat wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

The sentence might be a little hard to believe as justifiable from their POV but just straight up executing Jon immediately would have been pretty dumb on Grey Worm's part.

With Dany dead and Drogon gone her remaining forces aren't exactly in a superior position in a foreign land surrounded by people who probably aren't excited about their presence. Holding Jon, who I presume Grey Worm at that point knew was the rightful heir, is a huge bargaining chip. We don't exactly see what that bargain looks like aside from Jon going to the wall so it's hard to say whether Grey Worm used it wisely but I can't imagine just killing Jon would have worked out better for him.[/quote]
This begs the question that Greyworm would be in a rational state of mind when he'd find John having killed his queen.
I think his actions in the previous episode and the start of this one suggest otherwise.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#6668  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 20, 2019 7:04 pm

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6669  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 20, 2019 7:05 pm

Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6670  Postby purplerat » May 20, 2019 7:05 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
This begs the question that Greyworm would be in a rational state of mind when he'd find John having killed his queen.
I think his actions in the previous episode and the start of this one suggest otherwise.

I suppose that's why we don't see how Jon turns himself in or Grey Worm discovers that he killed Dany.

Personally after episode 5 I thought Grey Worm had slaughtered the surrendering solders in a fit of rage but in the finale he says Dany had instructed him to kill them all, presumably before the battle, something I believe Shrunk called earlier in the thread.

With that in mind I see no reason to think that Grey Worm would be prone to acting irrationally. The Unsullied are if nothing else very poised.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6671  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 20, 2019 7:24 pm

purplerat wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

I suppose that's why we don't see how Jon turns himself in or Grey Worm discovers that he killed Dany.

Personally after episode 5 I thought Grey Worm had slaughtered the surrendering solders in a fit of rage but in the finale he says Dany had instructed him to kill them all, presumably before the battle, something I believe Shrunk called earlier in the thread.

With that in mind I see no reason to think that Grey Worm would be prone to acting irrationally. The Unsullied are if nothing else very poised.

Did you not see Greyworms facial expressions during these last two episodes? He seemed to act more out of (grief stricken) rage, than coolly following orders.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6672  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 20, 2019 7:31 pm

Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6673  Postby Matthew Shute » May 20, 2019 7:40 pm

Maybe it was his plan all along.

Chaos... isn't a pit. Chaos is a wheelchair access ramp.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#6674  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 20, 2019 7:40 pm

Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6675  Postby purplerat » May 20, 2019 7:44 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
purplerat wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Did you not see Greyworms facial expressions during these last two episodes? He seemed to act more out of (grief stricken) rage, than coolly following orders.

I did. As I mentioned in my previous posts and earlier in the thread I say him acting out in rage.

I agree that those actions don't exactly square up with him being able to remain poised and act rationally. Then again I know many real people who will fly off the handle and act on pure emotion in one moment then in another appear completely rational, so...

The point still stands that it would have been stupid for Grey Worm to immediately kill Jon. Whether you want to believe he had the capacity to act intelligently or even rationally is open to interpretation I suppose.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#6676  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 20, 2019 7:44 pm

Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6677  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 20, 2019 7:45 pm

purplerat wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
purplerat wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

I did. As I mentioned in my previous posts and earlier in the thread I say him acting out in rage.

I agree that those actions don't exactly square up with him being able to remain poised and act rationally. Then again I know many real people who will fly off the handle and act on pure emotion in one moment then in another appear completely rational, so...

The point still stands that it would have been stupid for Grey Worm to immediately kill Jon. Whether you want to believe he had the capacity to act intelligently or even rationally is open to interpretation I suppose.

Of course it wasn't the smart thing to do, neither was threatening to start another war if the other lords did not let him kill John....
Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on May 20, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6678  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 20, 2019 7:47 pm

Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6679  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6680  Postby purplerat » May 20, 2019 7:59 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
purplerat wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
purplerat wrote:

Of course it wasn't the smart thing to do, neither was threatening to start another war if the other lords did not let him kill John....

That would be dumb, if that were how it actually went down.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV