Game of Thrones

HBO

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Game of Thrones

#6781  Postby arugula2 » Jun 19, 2020 3:24 am

Oy vey, the seriousness.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
    - Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#6782  Postby Hermit » Jun 19, 2020 4:21 am

arugula2 wrote:Oy vey, the seriousness.

That's how Monty Python's documentaries must be viewed. If you approach them any other way you're meschugge.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#6783  Postby JustStarDust » Jun 19, 2020 4:37 am

This guy loves his Thrones...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV3Pgp ... Bx_jg2TDHw

I loved the show. It somewhat fell apart at the end, but oh well. ...But at the same time - wtf Benioff & Weiss? They did not have to end it so quickly. They could've easily taken a break. They probably should've been taking breaks since it all began & we should only really be in season 5 by now. But whatever... HBO contracts, etc.

Still, they tried & Idk if I can blame them for every single problem (as The Dragon Demands does)
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Name: NotTellingYouThatSorry

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#6784  Postby Fallible » Jun 19, 2020 10:06 am

Hermit wrote:
Fallible wrote:What’s that, impeccable hair and not a speck of dust on her?

That is how the woman appeared in the trailer I watched.

Yes, I know, but this is a good example of how watching a trailer to discern the content of 8 seasons might just be inadequate. There is so much mud, shit and dust in this show that pointing out the cleanliness of one character in some clips is meaningless.

I feel like I want to point out at this juncture that I am not a GOT super fan. I read the books first and spent a long time moaning about how often they fuck with them in the programme. There’s plenty to criticise, eg. just leaving out characters, such as Lady Stoneheart and an entire other claimant to the Iron Throne, but IMO ‘that woman on the dragon was too clean’ isn’t one of those things.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6785  Postby arugula2 » Jun 19, 2020 5:36 pm

Fallible wrote:...eg. just leaving out characters, such as Lady Stoneheart and an entire other claimant to the Iron Throne...

Oh my lanta... Victarion was it? I actually don’t remember if he’s totally absent in the show, but... top-5 character for me. The only reason his eclipsing by Euron works in the books is that GRRM managed to write a Euron that’s at least as interesting as Victarion. Deeeeeeeefinitely not in the show, of course. Jfc, that Euron sucks balls by comparison.

But to beat a dead donkey on the broader topic, I do think the show handles the last 3 seasons generally well... part of it must be that it overtakes the books at that point, part of it that there’s very little small stuff happening & the show does the big stuff pretty well, and part of it I suspect is expediency/crunch.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#6786  Postby Fallible » Jun 20, 2020 1:03 pm

Yes, that’s the chap. Totally absent in the show. I agree with you that the show does the big stuff well, even if I do have a few small issues with the way they handled the ending. I don’t get why it was so very contentious though. My earlier issues are to do with divergence from the books, but obviously that’s not the case with the later seasons, because we’re not there yet with the books (when oh when will we be?).
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6787  Postby arugula2 » Jun 20, 2020 9:02 pm

Fallible wrote:...the ending. I don’t get why it was so very contentious though.

Projection... bc I think even with my book-bias, I was able to see enough telegraphing of it on the show, through her interactions with Tyrion & Jon. I'll go on a limb and suggest that this coming out in this generation has a lot to do with it. In the age of social media, what's on a screen defines who you are to a much larger degree than before. The core viewership doesn't know any other reality. In GoT in particular, the core viewership also has huge overlap with video game nation, and modern video games take the solipsism of social media to the extreme, in part by being products of it.

I'm going to guess, also, that the rage is/was mostly American(?) and for a broad American audience (sorry, it's true) the telegraphing has to be done early, persistently, and without other distractions while it's happening. The unpleasant 'event' has to feel inevitable, and the audience has to be "made ok with" it before it happens.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#6788  Postby Animavore » Jul 01, 2020 4:35 pm

Ah-ha! You thought the season 7&8 take downs had ended.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6789  Postby Animavore » Jul 09, 2020 6:51 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6790  Postby Agrippina » May 05, 2021 10:47 am

Don't shoot me but I actually got a bit of a thrill watching her burn the city to the ground. The book will never happen, and some person has rewritten the script for the whole of the last season that simply doesn't make sense. I still love the series, although I would've liked a happy ending for Sansa with Tyrion. Didn't like Arya's sex scene though it wasn't her. Too obvious bringing him back again, and hell that guy can run, getting to the wall the way he did when he didn't know where the hell he was. Still I do love the show. Can't wait to see what they make of the before story. I've read the book a couple of times so I hope they don't mess with that too much. I don't like the casting. That guy that played Philip in the first season of the Crown, gets on my nerves. Like the one who played Lord Edmure and Mark Anthony in Rome. I can't like him. Probably because he's an ass in Outlander. I don't know. I just don't like him.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6791  Postby arugula2 » May 07, 2021 6:27 pm

Agrippina wrote:... Can't wait to see what they make of the before story. I've read the book a couple of times so I hope they don't mess with that too much...

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms?
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#6792  Postby Agrippina » May 08, 2021 5:38 am

arugula2 wrote:
Agrippina wrote:... Can't wait to see what they make of the before story. I've read the book a couple of times so I hope they don't mess with that too much...

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms?

No, This one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_%26_Blood_(novel). The new TV series is based on this.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6793  Postby arugula2 » May 08, 2021 6:38 pm

Mmm... I have low expectations after experiencing books 4 & 5 of the main series, but... those nuggets about the Targaryens were just so well placed in the first 3 books. A delicious read, those three, overall.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#6794  Postby Agrippina » May 09, 2021 5:23 am

II agree, I really would love him to finish the last book though. I saw somewhere that he intended Bran to be king all the time anyway, Watching and rewatching the series, there are clues. One where Jojen Read tells him "you can't die, you have to live." after telling him that being the three-eyed raven means he can see the future as well as the past. In season three then Bran just wants to give up.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6795  Postby arugula2 » May 09, 2021 6:56 am

My main gripe with the show is it almost entirely sidelined the Children of the Forest. Right from book 1, I felt they were the subtle heart of the whole thing... and then, in context, Bran's ultimate role would make sense. Men took the land from the Children, and Bran sort of closes the loop, by becoming something of the land itself, or becoming part of them, and then taking over for Men as well. At least until he got bored of it or died. Eh... can't really judge the show on what it keeps and what it neglects, but... of all the things to neglect... Smh.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#6796  Postby Agrippina » May 10, 2021 4:04 am

True.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Film & TV