Game of Thrones vs. A Song of Ice and Fire

The changed it now it sucks... or maybe it's better?

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Game of Thrones vs. A Song of Ice and Fire

#1  Postby scott1328 » May 22, 2014 4:43 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Fallible wrote:Most has already happened in the TV series.

So? Some people are watching the TV shows first and reading the books after. Maybe someone should start a thread for people who want to talk about the differences between the books and the TV show, because whichever thread you post in, you're risking ruining it for someone.

A thread to disuss how much better G.R.R. Martin's work is or isn't compared with HBO's adaptation.

Spoilers Beware!!!
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Game of Thrones vs. A Song of Ice and Fire

#2  Postby Agrippina » May 22, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm not sure whether to "spoiler" in this thread.
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3  Postby willhud9 » May 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Agrippina » May 22, 2014 4:59 pm

OK so I can rant about how roles have been changed? Shea and her role being smaller in the books than shown in the show. Also Podrick's involvement with Breanna, and he's not calling her "ser" in the show.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Thommo » May 22, 2014 4:59 pm

In earlier series I'd have said that they were of equal quality - some changes I felt were improvements (toning down of Tyrion's ridiculous combat antics for example), but despite the later books declining in quality and expanding in sidetracking somehow the series has taken the same faults and exaggerated them. If it wasn't for Tyrion's King's landing antics I'd probably have stopped watching altogether.

To be fair this happens to a lot of TV shows and book series as they go on, I think it's a feature of not having a clear beginning, middle and end planned of longer story arcs, just in the fantasy genre alone I got increasingly bored with both the sword of truth books (of which I liked the TV show more anyway) and the wheel of time books, which made the padding in game of thrones look minor (also the female characters were fucking terrible, seldom have the words Mary Sue been more appropriate).
Thommo

Print view this post

#6  Postby Varangian » May 22, 2014 5:30 pm

Thommo wrote:To be fair this happens to a lot of TV shows and book series as they go on, I think it's a feature of not having a clear beginning, middle and end planned of longer story arcs, just in the fantasy genre alone I got increasingly bored with both the sword of truth books (of which I liked the TV show more anyway) and the wheel of time books, which made the padding in game of thrones look minor (also the female characters were fucking terrible, seldom have the words Mary Sue been more appropriate).

Amen to that! I read about four of the SoT books before getting too bored to continue, and I gave up on WoT after book six. And yes, the female characters were horrible, rolling their eyes, tugging their braids, and crossing their arms under their breasts. Compared to that, ASoIaF is positively cracking along (but then I haven't read "A Feast for Crows" or "A Dance with Dragons" yet).

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Panderos » May 22, 2014 6:07 pm

I gave up on the first Wheel of Time after 200 pages. And I wanted to long before. I don't know how you guys got through more of that.

But then I find most fantasy overly bloated and much too slow. For some reason most writers of fantasy can't seem to get to the point in under 9 volumes. What was Jordan's in the end? 15 books or something? Ridiculous. The Malazan books probably ran to over 10,000 pages. Bakker is apparently going for nine books. Lord of Light knows how many Brandon Sanderson is going to go through in his Way of Kings series. Assassin's Apprentice, which I have just picked up is at least two trilogies plus another couple that run alongside them.

I recently read Kushiel's Dart, I chose it specifically because I thought it was a standalone. I didn't even realise until the end that wasn't an end that it is actually just the first of three, a trilogy which is itself only the first of three trilogies.

What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Oh yeah, this thread. Um, I liked the fact that the TV series made the kids older. 14 year old warlord Robb Stark was stupid.
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Agrippina » May 22, 2014 7:17 pm

I'm reading the fourth book? Feast of Crows at the moment. I have read all the books before but I thought I'd reread them because I'd watched the entire three seasons so I really got all the characters in perspective. Which is why the bits that come later and are overlapping are annoying me a little. Like the business with Theon Greyjoy's sister pitching up to save him. They've just overlooked all the business of their father's death and the arguments about who should be king. I suppose this is to keep the cast interested. Oh yes, and Stannis's women wanting to take the daughter with them to the Wall.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#9  Postby VazScep » May 22, 2014 7:28 pm

I honestly can't complain. I read the first three books back in 2001, and decided they were unfilmable. HBO have proved me wrong on that one.

However, I stand by my claim that the Gap Sequence is unfilmable.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby laklak » May 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Varangian wrote:
Amen to that! I read about four of the SoT books before getting too bored to continue, and I gave up on WoT after book six. And yes, the female characters were horrible, rolling their eyes, tugging their braids, and crossing their arms under their breasts

And birching people and getting birched. I sort of liked that bit.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby virphen » May 22, 2014 7:48 pm

Both book and series are bloody good. Some of the changes grate a little at first, but given the amount of things that do have to change in transforming a mega-complicated narrative structure into something that works at all on film, and more often than not they seem to have chosen sensibly. The sexual idealism is the thing that often greats the most (wildlings with perfectly dilapidated bodies, a starved, filthy and mutilated Reek who still has the body of a male model, the bullshit with the virgin whore pleasurer extraordinaite). Changes that fit with the world or are obviously more necessary because of the different media, less so.

I'm finding it quite interesting in the case of a TV adaptation of a still running book series that is likely to catch up and overtake the books with a year or two left on its run quite interesting. Part of the fun is the speculating on what's happened in the books,in the areas that are specifically set up (or seem to be) as mysteries and how the TV going in different direction affects those possibilities.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby VazScep » May 22, 2014 8:33 pm

virphen wrote:The sexual idealism is the thing that often greats the most (wildlings with perfectly dilapidated bodies, a starved, filthy and mutilated Reek who still has the body of a male model, the bullshit with the virgin whore pleasurer extraordinaite). Changes that fit with the world or are obviously more necessary because of the different media, less so.
Benioff and Weiss are obsessed with tits, and yes, it's really distracting. But Martin is obsessed with food, and that's also distracting. In the entire show, I've yet to even see a stale piece of bread used as a trencher.
Last edited by VazScep on May 22, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Animavore » May 22, 2014 8:36 pm

virphen wrote:Both book and series are bloody good. Some of the changes grate a little at first, but given the amount of things that do have to change in transforming a mega-complicated narrative structure into something that works at all on film, and more often than not they seem to have chosen sensibly. The sexual idealism is the thing that often greats the most (wildlings with perfectly dilapidated bodies, a starved, filthy and mutilated Reek who still has the body of a male model, the bullshit with the virgin whore pleasurer extraordinaite). Changes that fit with the world or are obviously more necessary because of the different media, less so.

I'm finding it quite interesting in the case of a TV adaptation of a still running book series that is likely to catch up and overtake the books with a year or two left on its run quite interesting. Part of the fun is the speculating on what's happened in the books,in the areas that are specifically set up (or seem to be) as mysteries and how the TV going in different direction affects those possibilities.

Freudian slip?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#14  Postby virphen » May 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Fast-typing Homonym Confusion Disorder.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » May 22, 2014 8:39 pm

VazScep wrote:
virphen wrote:The sexual idealism is the thing that often greats the most (wildlings with perfectly dilapidated bodies, a starved, filthy and mutilated Reek who still has the body of a male model, the bullshit with the virgin whore pleasurer extraordinaite). Changes that fit with the world or are obviously more necessary because of the different media, less so.
Benioff and Weiss are obsessed with tits, and yes, it's really distracting. But Martin is obsesed with food, and that's also distracting. In the entire show, I've yet to even see a stale piece of bread used as a trencher.

I think you'll find it's the owner of HBO with the titty obsession.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Sovereign » May 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Well if the show overtakes the book, it will spoiler the books. The show has already shown spoilers for events yet to come that the books haven't even hinted at. I'm not sure I completely agree with the quality taking a hit in the books/show... if this were Trueblood vs The Southern Vampire Mysteries then I'd be in complete agreement. As to the fantasy genre being bloated, I agree there. I think there is some unwritten rule in fantasy that you have to create these long epics. Originally Song of Ice and Fire wasn't supposed to be 7 books. It was supposed to be shorter then Martin decided to make it longer. I'm not sure how many authors actually plan their books out before writing them. Some authors write and make it up as they go along and others have a definite structure mapped out before they write the first sentence.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Animavore » Jun 02, 2014 1:07 pm

DId the Mountain pop Oberyn's head like that in the book? I can't remember.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#18  Postby willhud9 » Jun 02, 2014 2:23 pm

Animavore wrote:DId the Mountain pop Oberyn's head like that in the book? I can't remember.

Yep. That fight was for the most part true to the book. Oberyn's teeth get knocked out with a single punch, his eyes get gouged out, and then the mountain bashes Oberyn's head causing his brains to squirt out all over the place.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 03, 2014 11:22 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Fallible wrote:OK, well I'm watching the episode now. I'm at the bit with Sansa. OK. Ok. it's not a big deal. I can do this. Treat it like it's a different show. OK.

I can't remember/seem to have forgotten the part where Daenarys banishes Jorah Mormont?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Panderos » Jun 03, 2014 11:29 am

In the books she found out about Barristan and Jorah at about the same time. She then sent them through the sewer to take Mereen. But afterwards Jorah wasn't repentant enough and she sent him away. Barristan hadn't spied, only concealed who he was, so he was cool.
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Film & TV