Is Aliens too small in its thinking?

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Is Aliens too small in its thinking?

#1  Postby Animavore » Feb 22, 2013 11:43 pm

So Ripley is getting a grilling from the company and they're questioning the reality of this supposed 'alien' she blew out into space from the airlock. After stating her case one of her interrogators questions this 'alien' she saw and insists that they've seen nothing like this, "in over 300 surveyed worlds".

But we already know over more than that. These people are supposed to be inter-galactic explorers from the future. Therefore I say this film, far from being a timeless classic, has been outdated.

This is what I think about in bed at night. :snooty:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Is Aliens too small in its thinking?

#2  Postby chairman bill » Feb 22, 2013 11:47 pm

Animavore wrote:This is what I think about in bed at night. :snooty:

Hey, if it keeps you from wanking, it's doing God's work
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Feb 22, 2013 11:48 pm

chairman bill wrote:

On the contrary...
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Feb 22, 2013 11:53 pm

Animavore wrote:
chairman bill wrote:

On the contrary...

Oh I know, that alien is so hot
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Feb 22, 2013 11:55 pm

chairman bill wrote:
Animavore wrote:
chairman bill wrote:

On the contrary...

Oh I know, that alien is so hot

Vasquez?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Nostalgia » Feb 23, 2013 12:04 am

What annoys me is that no sci-fi movie has ever used time dilation properly. It's such a cool idea. For example, a ship going on a round trip to Spica, in the constellation Virgo 260 light years away can get there and home again under high acceleration in a few decades. But hundreds of years would pass on Earth. So you get a cool story of exploring an alien star system and an older and wiser crew essentially travelling into the future as well.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Feb 23, 2013 12:09 am

But the crew wouldn't be older and wiser. Because not much time would've traveled from their perspective.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Nostalgia » Feb 23, 2013 12:12 am

A couple of decades would of. Sure, if you went REALLY fast you could get there in a few minutes, but thousands if not millions of years would pass back on Earth.

Oh and gravity. Fucking gravity.

Okay, zero-g is difficult and expensive to do, that's fine. So build your fictional ships with centrifuges. Some morons will claim you're ripping off 2001 but there's no other way of getting gravity in space without technology far exceeding that which you're shown to have in the movie.

Even recent "hard sci-fi" films like Moon and Sunshine ballsed up on this.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9  Postby scott1328 » Feb 23, 2013 12:15 am

Why do you think the measurements current technology can make of exo-planets constitutes a "survey" in the same sense that is implied by the board room scene you referenced?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Feb 23, 2013 12:17 am

scott1328 wrote:Why do you think the measurements current technology can make of exo-planets constitutes a "survey" in the same sense that is implied by the board room scene you referenced?

I'm not saying that. I'm saying their survey should constitute more than that.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Nostalgia » Feb 23, 2013 12:19 am

Xenomorphs show up on spectrographic analysis, don't they? :ask:
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Animavore » Feb 23, 2013 12:20 am

MacIver wrote:Xenomorphs show up on spectrographic analysis, don't they? :ask:

Only if you account for red shift.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Nostalgia » Feb 23, 2013 12:29 am

MacIver wrote:A couple of decades would of. Sure, if you went REALLY fast you could get there in a few minutes, but thousands if not millions of years would pass back on Earth.

Okay, zero-g is difficult and expensive to do, that's fine. So build your fictional ships with centrifuges. Some morons will claim you're ripping off 2001 but there's no other way of getting gravity in space without technology far exceeding that which you're shown to have in the movie.

Just remembered another cool aspect of this that would be good in a story.

As the ship travels away from Earth and reaches 99.99+% of the speed of light communications from Earth would slow down as they'd take longer and longer to reach the ship as it travels further away at faster speeds. News would slow down, literally, as any communiques would have to be adjusted for severe doppler shift. But on the way home this process would be reversed. The crew of the ship would see hundreds of years of human history squashed into a decade. They could watch the rise and fall of nations like watching a TV series.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Animavore » Feb 23, 2013 12:31 am

MacIver wrote:
MacIver wrote:A couple of decades would of. Sure, if you went REALLY fast you could get there in a few minutes, but thousands if not millions of years would pass back on Earth.

As the ship travels away from Earth and reaches 99.99+% of the speed of light communications from Earth would slow down as they'd take longer and longer to reach the ship as it travels further away at faster speeds. News would slow down, literally, as any communiques would have to be adjusted for severe doppler shift. But on the way home this process would be reversed. The crew of the ship would see hundreds of years of human history squashed into a decade. They could watch the rise and fall of nations like watching a TV series.

Cool. Can we see future series of Big Brother squashed into a minute?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15  Postby pelfdaddy » Feb 23, 2013 12:34 am

Doesn't the acceleration (assuming you accelerate to the halfway point), as well as the negative acceleration (assuming you flip 'er around and put on the brakes to the finish) simulate gravity (assuming you are going somewhere)?
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby pelfdaddy » Feb 23, 2013 12:35 am

Doesn't the acceleration (assuming you accelerate to the halfway point), as well as the negative acceleration (assuming you flip 'er around and put on the brakes to the finish) simulate gravity (assuming you are going somewhere)?
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Nostalgia » Feb 23, 2013 12:37 am

Animavore wrote:
MacIver wrote:

Cool. Can we see future series of Big Brother squashed into a minute?

Ah, but would you want to? The future dystopian reality shows will be much better. Death and violence. :thumbup:

pelfdaddy wrote:Doesn't the acceleration (assuming you accelerate to the halfway point), as well as the negative acceleration (assuming you flip 'er around and put on the brakes to the finish) simulate gravity (assuming you are going somewhere)?

Absolutely. One gee of acceleration and you wouldn't even be aware you were on a starship if you didn't have a window in your room. But in the films I was bitching about the ships aren't under such acceleration.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Animavore » Feb 23, 2013 12:39 am

"There's a secretion."
"Secreted from what?"
Nobody touch nothing"

Doesn't that mean we should touch something?

(guess what I'm watching right now? :P )
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Animavore » Feb 23, 2013 12:41 am

MacIver wrote:

Ah, but would you want to? The future dystopian reality shows will be much better. Death and violence. :thumbup:

Yes. I've seen Death Race,

Unfortunately :(
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#20  Postby infiniteentropy » Feb 23, 2013 1:17 am

MacIver wrote:What annoys me is that no sci-fi movie has ever used time dilation properly. It's such a cool idea. For example, a ship going on a round trip to Spica, in the constellation Virgo 260 light years away can get there and home again under high acceleration in a few decades. But hundreds of years would pass on Earth. So you get a cool story of exploring an alien star system and an older and wiser crew essentially travelling into the future as well.

Have you read 'forever war'?
infiniteentropy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Film & TV