Meet the Mormons

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Meet the Mormons

#1  Postby HomerJay » Jun 26, 2014 7:54 pm

Intensely private Christian church opens it doors to cameras for the first time in UK with Channel 4 documentary

Despite having 15 million Mormons in 185 countries around the world, much mystery surrounds the Mormon religion.

Now Channel 4 has gained exclusive access to the UK movement in Meet The Mormons, as it follows 20-year-old Josh Field, as he becomes a missionary.

His new role as an 'Ambassador of God' requires him to leave home for two years, in which time he's not allowed to see friends or family. Phone calls are limited to twice a year and letters once a week.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/meet ... fs-3768501
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Meet the Mormons

#2  Postby mrjonno » Jun 27, 2014 4:05 pm

I had fun with one of them when I accused one of their missionaries of belong to a church that supports sexual deviancy

They said I was confusing them with the catholic church and said no, you don't believe in sex before marriage and that's completely deviant and unnatural
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)

Birthday
Print view this post

#3  Postby BlackBart » Jun 27, 2014 5:29 pm

Intensely private?! Then stop knocking on my fucking door every ten minutes then!
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby redwhine » Jul 04, 2014 9:53 am

This...

Banned from any contact with friends or family for 2 years, apart from a couple of phone calls and letters. Compelled to have the same mentor within hearing and seeing distance of you 24/7, 365 days a year, for 2 years. No books, TV, radio, internet, alcohol, tea or coffee over the same period, though the last 3 are for life. No cinema, theatre, and I think I actually heard SWIMMING FFS!! Forced to work all hours at selling an impossible product every day for 2 years. A 4% sale per customer success rate is demanded. Being paid £29 per week to buy food, and to keep your hair 'regulation very short'. Compelled to wear pre Victorian underwear for 24 months, though this could be for life too, and given a cell sized bedroom to share with your mentor over the same period. A sentence handed down by an ancient medieval court? No. This is a punishment that you have to actually pay £6000 a year for. This is a sentence handed down by a supposed God. All young Mormon men have to serve as missionaries for 2 years, and they are all restricted to all the conditions listed above. 'Meet The Mormons' on Channel 4 tonight showed the sad restrictions placed on young men who are indoctrinated into the absolute nonsense that is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The one that believes that after Christ was resurrected, he popped over to the good old US of A, to talk some crap to the locals. Who needs enemies when your all loving and forgiving God will force you to go through this? Of course that is only what we were allowed to see. The ever present idiotic old man hiding behind every corner while the filming went on must have censored the stuff that he thought folk might take the piss out of. Not funny at all to see an 18/19 year old young man crying his eyes out at being dragged away from his family, and even more serious to hear him say, a couple of weeks later, how fantastic it was, and how much he thanked his God for the opportunity. I know I have friends who will think they can challenge this, so go ahead. I'd welcome to hear why anyone would believe in any of this pish.

...is being shared on Facebook.
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#5  Postby mrjonno » Jul 04, 2014 12:01 pm

Mormonism is a true American religion , none of this middle eastern arab crap. It's a good example of natural selection applying to religion and is in fact very clever
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)

Birthday
Print view this post

#6  Postby Matt_B » Jul 04, 2014 4:31 pm

BlackBart wrote:Intensely private?! Then stop knocking on my fucking door every ten minutes then!

Just ask them where they live and say that you'll come and knock on their door at a time that's convenient to you.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby r.c » Jul 04, 2014 6:38 pm

My graduate advisor is Mormon. He is one of the most rational (work related stuff), helpful and knowledgeable professors I've ever come across. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that he believes all this. He keeps his professional and personal life strictly separate though so it's none of my business really, but it's still hard for me to understand.
" By virtue of being old, nothing necessarily is good; nor is anything unacceptable by virtue of being new; The wise accept only after examining, while the fools go by others' understanding."
r.c

Male

Print view this post

Return to Film & TV