most daring scenes in film

post your faves and tell us why

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: most daring scenes in film

#21  Postby The_Piper » Jan 15, 2015 4:40 am

orpheus wrote:
The_Piper wrote:
igorfrankensteen wrote:I'm not up to you folks level as a film aficionado, sorry. The one film that comes to mind which took me aback long ago, was the 1972 version of Sleuth. It took me quite a while to realize how many actors were in it, and I was delighted by the recognition that the director or whomever opted to tell the story thus.

I've only seen one movie mentioned in the thread, and I don't even know by what measure makes those scenes daring. (good bad ugly)
in other words, this whole thread - woosh

Well, there are so many great films out there — I'm hoping part of the fun of this thread will be to get tips on ones I haven't seen yet — of which there are plenty. The only ones in this thread so far that I've seen are Sleuth and the one I started with (The Third Man). The others are now on my list. :hungry:

You bring up a good point about knowing what makes these scenes daring. I can't enforce rules for the thread, but I'm hoping people will post a bit of explanation, so it doesn't become another sort of general thread of favorite movies or scenes from movies. (Fun though those threads are.)

Here's a subtle one, from All the President's Men. I can't embed the video, but you can watch it here, along with a really good explanation of why it's as cool as the film guys say it is. (Much better explanation than I could manage.)

A still from the scene:

Thanks for trying to help. Maybe that example was too subtle. I understood the explanation, to some degree, then watched the scene and it was underwhelming, at least outside of the context of the movie.
I think of some of my favorite movies over time for daring scenes, (not featuring Chevy Chase!) and I'm coming up empty. Are there any daring scenes in Goodfellas? I can't think of any. Shocking scenes, yes. Back to the Future? Certainly not Star Wars. :lol: :oops:
The finer details of filmaking often go over my head. The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, I liked because it was interesting, not technically good, or not.
I'll enjoy reading the thread and hopefully learn something, and get good movie recommendations too. :cheers:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby don't get me started » Jan 15, 2015 4:42 am

2001, of course. Multiple scenes were just fantastic and groundbreaking.
Minimalistic dialogue, accurate portrayal of outer space, leaving the audience to work it out instead of blunt exposition for the hard of thinking.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#23  Postby ughaibu » Jan 15, 2015 4:58 am

The opening of The Abominable Dr.Phibes ten minutes of extravagant nonsense before the first words are spoken.
ughaibu

Print view this post

#24  Postby hackenslash » Jan 15, 2015 7:05 am

don't get me started wrote:2001, of course. Multiple scenes were just fantastic and groundbreaking.
Minimalistic dialogue, accurate portrayal of outer space, leaving the audience to work it out instead of blunt exposition for the hard of thinking.

Still my all-time favourite film. Allegedly, Rock Hudson stormed out of the premiere.

A true work of art, and no mistake.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#25  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 15, 2015 7:26 am

My all time favourite also along with The Deer Hunter. The special effects
and minimal dialogue and ambiguous ending all make it so but it is a work
of art so much greater than just the sum of its parts. If only all films were
like this. And hard to think that Rigsby of all people was in it as well ha ha
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#26  Postby Fenrir » Jan 15, 2015 7:45 am

Not a scene but a whole film. V for Vendetta, a film where one never sees the face of the protagonist, despite him appearing at the centre of many scenes.
And of course a difficulty for the actor, portraying a complicated personality with which the audience must identify and be repulsed by without the help of face to convey intent or emotion.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Goldenmane » Jan 15, 2015 8:31 am

Fenrir wrote:Not a scene but a whole film. V for Vendetta, a film where one never sees the face of the protagonist, despite him appearing at the centre of many scenes.
And of course a difficulty for the actor, portraying a complicated personality with which the audience must identify and be repulsed by without the help of face to convey intent or emotion.

The diametric opposite of the first try at Judge Dredd, the second attempt at which was one of the very few films in the last twenty years to evoke visceral discomfort in me.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby infiniteentropy » Jan 15, 2015 8:33 am

Using
something audacious and breathtaking in the art and craft of film itself
as a guide the film that springs to mind for me is "The Rope", not so much a particular scene but the way the whole film is done as a single take. A few clever extreme close ups were used to black the screen to allow for the reel to be changed.
infiniteentropy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Mike_L » Jan 15, 2015 8:52 am

This one was rather daring (and awful)...

I Spit on Your Grave (1978)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077713/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_2

"This woman will soon cut, chop, break and burn five men... and there isn't a jury in this country that will convict her".

Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby hackenslash » Jan 15, 2015 8:53 am

Goldenmane wrote:The diametric opposite of the first try at Judge Dredd, the second attempt at which was one of the very few films in the last twenty years to evoke visceral discomfort in me.

Yep. Not only was it much better written, much better shot, and far more in keeping with the original comic strip, but Karl Urban is a far, far better actor than Stallone. Lena Headey was particularly good in it, as well.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#31  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jan 15, 2015 9:03 am

Hey, this.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Mike_L » Jan 15, 2015 9:05 am

This one was "daring", as in "ambitious"... the original Tron, pushing the limits of computer graphics back in 1982...

Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#33  Postby Mike_L » Jan 15, 2015 9:06 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:Hey, this.

Indeed! :nod:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#34  Postby Evolving » Jan 15, 2015 9:47 am

orpheus wrote:[ The only ones in this thread so far that I've seen are Sleuth and the one I started with (The Third Man). The others are now on my list.

Once Upon a Time in the West certainly ought to be on your list, and from what I (think I) have got to know of you, I think you’ll like it.

I don’t like Westerns, at all, as with action films generally: I’m not interested in the characters, and I find the stories pointless. Once Upon a Time in the West is the one Western that I do like, a lot. Beautifully photographed, and entirely satisfying as its dramaturgy unfolds.

I’m surprised, actually, that you would have got so far in life and have never seen it. Maybe it’s more popular in Europe. It’s always being repeated on German television (where for some baffling reason it is called “Play me the Song of Death”)
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Rumraket » Jan 15, 2015 9:54 am

The Man from Earth was good and I think a daring film, in that it's basically one long conversation between a man who's about to move out of his house and a couple of work colleagues and friends. Some conversations are just worth listening to.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Animavore » Jan 15, 2015 9:58 am

One scene which always affected me when I was young was that scene in Silenece of the Lambs when Hannibal escapes, that reveal was just so audacious.

Another one was the ending of Cronenberg's The Fly where after a severely botched teleportation a mangled Brundle-fly motions Veronica to put him out of his misery. It's amazing how they got such emotion out of what was essentially a pile of rubber.

I saw both those films at an age I probably shouldn't have been watching them and they're still two of my favourite films.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Goldenmane » Jan 15, 2015 10:01 am

Rumraket wrote:The Man from Earth was good and I think a daring film, in that it's basically one long conversation between a man who's about to move out of his house and a couple of work colleagues and friends. Some conversations are just worth listening to.

Agreed. There's nothing great about the acting or direction, but it's a fucking great film for an exploration of potentially contentious ideas.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#38  Postby Animavore » Jan 15, 2015 10:21 am

I miss Cookiejon.

CookieJon wrote:
Animavore wrote:
CookieJon wrote:
Mayak wrote:

Great acting wasted on a mediocre story. 2/5

Oh I loved this one... such a little, minimal film. Brilliant.

My other fave of his is eXistenZ. Though it really is a crap movie (I know!) I just love it for some reason... something about the ambience he's created. I dunno. Maybe it's just Jude Law. I probably am that shallow. :dunno:

Jesus I hate that film so much! I suggested renting it when myself and a few mates were going to house for a couple of vids (yes, vids) and a few cans despite their reservations. I said it came from the same director as The Fly (one of my favourite films) so it has to be good.

It was shit. And the worst part is because Ihad insisted so much on it I got all the flak. For weeks I didn't live it down and wasn't allowed pick vids.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#39  Postby don't get me started » Jan 15, 2015 12:16 pm

The whole of Elem Klimov's 'Come and See' is just stunning. Even though the theme is Nazi genocide in Byelorussia in WW2 the violence is often just out of sight, or the true nature of what is going on is represented in unexpected ways.

The captured Nazi Einsatzgruppen at the end know that the game is up. One SS man outlines his view of the necessity of exterminating what he terms inferior races. It is chilling and a glimpse into the nature of pure malice, hatred and inhumanity. Unforegttable.

Oh, and am in agreement with the opinions on the second Judge Dredd movie with Carl Urban.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#40  Postby ED209 » Jan 15, 2015 1:21 pm

Sleuth is a good movie I recall. In a similar vein is a russian movie called 'how we spent last summer'. And even more so the robert redford one-man snorefest 'all is lost' which must have been pitched as "like the last act of jaws, but without any dialogue... or sharks".

I like long continues takes like the opening of snake eyes or the restaurant fight scene in Tom yum goong which is my nomination.

Or this 'birdman' that they have now, not seen it but the whole film is supposed to (look like) one continuous take (they cheated a bit).
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV