most daring scenes in film

post your faves and tell us why

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: most daring scenes in film

#41  Postby Shrunk » Jan 15, 2015 1:30 pm

Animavore wrote:One scene which always affected me when I was young was that scene in Silenece of the Lambs when Hannibal escapes, that reveal was just so audacious.

I remember reading a breakdown on the editing of that sequence somewhere. As originally edited, many cuts went just a second or two longer (eg. when they open up the ceiling of the elevator and the body falls out, someone shouted "That's (the name of the dead guy)!") to help the audience follow what was happening. But Demme found this slowed the scene down, so instead he had the sequence of events move by just a bit faster, so the audience does not quite know what's going on until that final reveal. Then it all falls into place.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Animavore » Jan 15, 2015 1:39 pm

ED209 wrote:

I like long continues takes like the opening of snake eyes or the restaurant fight scene in Tom yum goong which is my nomination.

That is one of the best one-shot scenes ever.

ED209 wrote:
Or this 'birdman' that they have now, not seen it but the whole film is supposed to (look like) one continuous take (they cheated a bit).

It's supposed to be three acts each is supposed to be one-shot.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Animavore » Jan 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Animavore wrote:One scene which always affected me when I was young was that scene in Silenece of the Lambs when Hannibal escapes, that reveal was just so audacious.

I remember reading a breakdown on the editing of that sequence somewhere. As originally edited, many cuts went just a second or two longer (eg. when they open up the ceiling of the elevator and the body falls out, someone shouted "That's (the name of the dead guy)!") to help the audience follow what was happening. But Demme found this slowed the scene down, so instead he had the sequence of events move by just a bit faster, so the audience does not quite know what's going on until that final reveal. Then it all falls into place.

That was the best call. The other way would've broke the tension and there wouldn't have been that penny-dropping moment.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Shrunk » Jan 15, 2015 1:42 pm

Here's another famous and much discussed scene: The ending of Charlie Chaplin's City Lights. To set it up for anyone who hasn't seen it: The story involves the Little Tramp falling in love with a blind girl, who mistakenly believes he is a millionaire, and trying to come up the money for the operation to restore her eyesight. He succeeds, but ends up being sent to jail in the process. This scene is their first meeting after his release, and after she has regained her vision. After the moment of recognition, we have the double meaning of the last line ("Yes, I can see now."), then a close up of the Tramp, probably thinking what we are: "Now what happens?". Then, fade to black.

"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Shrunk » Jan 15, 2015 1:51 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:Hey, this.

It was fun watching that with my kids, who had never seen it before and had no idea of the story. What's almost as shocking as the content of the scene itself is the fact that, up to that point, we had thought Janet Leigh was the protagonist of the movie, but in fact everything we've been watching up to then has just been the set up to the main plot. Conventional film making would have all that happen before the opening credits.

More trivia: Hitchcock had some trouble getting that scene past the censors, but not for what you might think. They didn't want to allow the sound of a toilet flushing.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#46  Postby ED209 » Jan 16, 2015 12:03 am

Animavore wrote:
ED209 wrote:

I like long continues takes like the opening of snake eyes or the restaurant fight scene in Tom yum goong which is my nomination.

That is one of the best one-shot scenes ever.

It's so good, the first I saw it I didn't even realise it was one take until I noticed a couple of the baddies whiffed their moves a bit and I thought hmmm, why didn't they do that one again. Not only is it one take without a screw up but the, what do they call it, the blocking? How he positions himself relative to the camera and the frame is precisely correct throughout and they weren't afraid to throw in some perfectly-timed big camera movements even with him moving out of shot like when he looks over the railing or hides by doing the splits above the door:

The guy that throws the side table at 3:40 comes quite close to hitting the cameraman and that would have been game over :lol:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#47  Postby igorfrankensteen » Jan 16, 2015 1:20 am

The admonition to come up with scenes that are "daring" throws me a bit. Some scenes were daring just to have in a movie, some required great daring on the part of the actors and or director.

These days, almost nothing could be considered daring in a socio-political sense. Anything that isn't straight up illegal, and even some stuff that is, gets done these days. They have to arrange for a foreign country to threaten terrorist attacks, to get any "buzz" going.

There are a lot of films which I would categorize, not so much as daring, as artistically intriguing as hell. Some that are very creative, and very exciting if you are really into the art of things, but which will leave you completely bored or nonplussed if you aren't aware of/can't appreciate the subtleties involved. I don't know if Citizen Kane would qualify as "daring," but it did contain a large number of unusual bits, done for effect. It was daring on the part of the studio, to let a complete newcomer like Wells, produce and direct a large film like that, entirely on his own.

That film Rope that someone else mentioned is one of those films I think of with this. It was a sort of artistic self-challenge for Hitchcock, as I understand it, to design and direct a film where the entire story is told i a single take. Because their cameras could only hold, I think it was fifteen minutes of film, they had to arrange to hide the cuts by strategically placed scene elements. The story could have been told in a more daring fashion. It was based on a true story, but Hitchcock downplayed the homosexual aspects of the characters more than could be done today.

A similar film in that respect was Spartacus. The one with the horrendous miscasting of Tony Curtis as the Greek slave/singer-of-songs. The scene where Crassus is coming on to Antoninus with his little "my tastes include snails and oysters" speech was clipped from the film back in the early days when it was shown on TV.

Some films which were said to be 'daring' just annoyed me. Pink Flamingos was just gross. I saw some good acting in it, and some interesting directorial choices, but for the most part, it seemed to want to show us ugly things, and have us pretend to be moved by seeing them.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Mike_L » Jan 16, 2015 9:08 am

I suppose El Topo (1970) could be considered "daring".

El Topo (English translation: The Mole) is a 1970 American-Mexican western film written and directed by and starring Alejandro Jodorowsky. Characterized by its bizarre characters and occurrences, use of maimed and dwarf performers, and heavy doses of Christian symbolism and Eastern philosophy, the film is about the eponymous character – a violent, black-clad gunfighter – and his quest for enlightenment.
Wikipedia

In the opening scenes, the gunfighter and his young son arrive upon the aftermath of a village massacre. Amidst the lakes of blood, impaled human corpses (special effects) and disemboweled horses (not special effects :yuk: ) they find a lone, badly wounded survivor who begs for a mercy killing. The gunfighter hands his revolver to his son, who wordlessly obliges the wounded man.
From there on it starts getting more strange... and more violent. :dance: :roll:

The surreal movie can be seen in its entirety on YouTube...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uAXXwcrkbU
...but it's in Spanish with Italian subtitles.
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#49  Postby Goldenmane » Jan 16, 2015 9:26 am

Mike_L wrote:

Well that sucks.

I can read Spanish, but only hear Italian.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#50  Postby Evolving » Jan 16, 2015 9:32 am

In which case the film is about a mouse rather than a mole. Isn't that weird.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Mike_L » Jan 16, 2015 12:26 pm

Goldenmane wrote:
Mike_L wrote:

Well that sucks.

I can read Spanish, but only hear Italian.

:lol:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#52  Postby colubridae » Jan 16, 2015 4:39 pm

as an aside I doo love a good dissolve.

As in star-trek: into darkness

At the start when the indigenous peoples of the planet niburu draw an image of the enterprsie in the dirt with volcanic ash drifting by, the scene dissolves into the enterprise with starry background. oooo goosebumps.

:clap:
"You can fuck the fuck off, you fucking fucker" - L. Salander
colubridae

Print view this post

#53  Postby Animavore » Jan 16, 2015 5:13 pm

I was thrown a bit too, Igor, by the thread title. When I first read 'daring' I thought of the final act of Mad Max 2 and the opening of The Dark Knight rises. Both full of crazy, live action stunts.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#54  Postby jamest » Jan 16, 2015 8:01 pm

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996), written by Tarantino. The first time I watched it I had no idea what was going to happen in the nightclub. Utterly bizarre yet gripping and exciting. For me, that film stretched the limits of daring.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#55  Postby The_Piper » Jan 16, 2015 8:49 pm

jamest wrote:From Dusk Till Dawn (1996), written by Tarantino. The first time I watched it I had no idea what was going to happen in the nightclub. Utterly bizarre yet gripping and exciting. For me, that film stretched the limits of daring.

Me too, I didn't know what it was about.
It was so daring, that it destroyed what looked like a good movie.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby Rilx » Jan 16, 2015 8:55 pm

I'll always remember this scene from Casablanca. It's like opening of the third act in classic operas.

German soldiers singing Die Wacht am Rhein around the piano. Victor Lazlo descends the stairs, walks to the orchestra and orders La Marseillaise. The conductor looks at Rick who nods, music starts and everyone joins knowing that consequences may be frightening.

In the life, there are no solutions. There are forces in motion. Those need to be created, and solutions follow.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery, "Night Flight"
Rilx

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Evolving » Jan 16, 2015 9:06 pm

It's a tearjerker, it really is. (Die Wacht am Rhein is a good song, in fact. Genius to put it together with the Marseillaise.)

I've just been watching Notorious on Youtube and was wondering why the husband seemed so familiar. Of course, it's the police prefect from Casablanca.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#58  Postby HughMcB » Jan 16, 2015 9:15 pm

jamest wrote:From Dusk Till Dawn (1996), written by Tarantino. The first time I watched it I had no idea what was going to happen in the nightclub. Utterly bizarre yet gripping and exciting. For me, that film stretched the limits of daring.

Was it the guitar make out of body parts? I loved that bit.
[Reveal] NOT SAFE FOR WORK / EXPLICIT CONTENT
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#59  Postby HughMcB » Jan 16, 2015 9:20 pm

ED209 wrote:Tom yum goong

aka The Warrior King aka The Protector is leading the category of best action vs. terrible plots in a movie of all time. The marital arts choreography is second to none, but it's literally a love story between a man and his elephant. Fucking nuts.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#60  Postby jamest » Jan 16, 2015 9:55 pm

HughMcB wrote:

Was it the guitar make out of body parts? I loved that bit.
[Reveal] NOT SAFE FOR WORK / EXPLICIT CONTENT

I'd forgotten about that. :lol:

Tarantino generally dares to stun his audiences on a regular basis, of course, but I don't think that I'll ever forget that particular film. Absolutely fucking bonkers, yet riveting.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV