Pet Peeves I have about the Star Trek franchise...

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Pet Peeves I have about the Star Trek franchise...

#61  Postby TopCat » Apr 26, 2017 10:31 am

proudfootz wrote:However, I generally don't like stories about time travel back and forth and I don't like magic powers ascribed to aliens along the lines of 'Who Mourns for Adonis' and 'Catspaw'.

'Who Mourns for Adonis' had nothing to do with magic, except in an Arthur C Clarke sense.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Matthew Shute » Apr 26, 2017 2:02 pm

VazScep wrote:
Matthew Shute wrote::this: Almost every extraterrestrial in every far-flung solar system that the Enterprise visits turns out to be... yet another humanoid with different knobbly bits on his face or head. H. P. Lovecraft would not have been impressed.

Space. The unfathomable void. Fools on the starship Miskatonic, its miscalculated mission to explore strange worlds, attempt to seek out beings who had mercifully not noticed us until now, will finally establish the utter irrelevance and alienness of human affairs in the cosmos.

Ha, that sounds great. In episode 1 the crew visits a world where, instead of dudes with bulbous foreheads, the local life is more reminiscent of the organisms in Stephen King's The Mist, Dean Koontz's The Taking, and the stuff living in The Upside Down in Stranger Things. Some unknown entity steals all the dilthium crystals and sabotages the engine room, leaving the USS Miskatonic stranded. The Ship's computer begins acting weirdly, starts chuckling and quoting esoteric poems, and then shuts down the ship's communications. The most fortunate crew members are the ones who end up as snack food in the first episode. In episode 2, some of the crew have by now regressed mentally and begun to form a cave-dwelling cult, worshiping some of the more parasitic fauna. Others are huddled together in the Miskatonic's arboretum, sanity barely intact, awaiting a fate that they cannot imagine, with a sense of dread. The ship's power dies completely and the arboretum falls into darkness. There is no episode 3.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Mike_L » Apr 26, 2017 4:46 pm

:this: sounds a bit like something from the British sci-fi series Space 1999. :smile:
When Gerry Anderson (of Thunderbirds and Stingray fame) hung up his marionettes and did some live-action TV the result was sometimes quite dark and violent.

Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#64  Postby Mike_L » Apr 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Animavore wrote:My main beef with Star Trek has always been that there's too much yap-yap and not enough pew-pew.

There. I said it.

Star Trek: Deep Space 9 was conceived as a drama in space, and the emphasis was to be on story and characters. As I recall, season one played like a soap opera with a starry backdrop... and was rather dull and tedious.
Happily, the subsequent seasons leaned toward more action-orientated story lines and there was plenty of 'pew-pew' toward the end.

Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#65  Postby tuco » Apr 26, 2017 5:55 pm

Miles with deflector saves the day lol Battle of most importance and they come up with plan how to win it on the run. Drama indeed.

There are no Pet Peeves in ST for Trekkies and for the rest, well, its not for mediocre ;)
tuco

Print view this post

#66  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 26, 2017 6:00 pm

Ooooh boy very 1980's. I think Trump has this permanently in his mind.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#67  Postby scott1328 » Apr 26, 2017 6:09 pm

With the ability to time travel to arbitrary points in time and the ability to travel at sub-light speeds 99.99% of C the star ships should be capable of infinite speeds.

When the Voyager was in the Delta quadrand 70 years at warp speed from home. All they had to do was travel back 70,000 years in time, then proceed at sub-light 99.9999% of C to sector 0.0.1. The time dilation would have made the trip last mere hours or days, they would have completely avoided the Borg, and likely would have avoided all the other Space Faring hostiles.

In fact with time travel and relativistic speeds, warp drives would be horribly slow.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby VazScep » Apr 26, 2017 6:55 pm

Matthew Shute wrote:[...] There is no episode 3.
:goosebumps:
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#69  Postby devogue » Jun 20, 2017 1:32 am

In Star Trek IV they park a whopping great Bird of Prey in a San Fransisco Park, the cloak doesn't have the distortion noticed from thousands of kilometres away on the bridge of the Enterprise above Genesis in Star Trek III, and Sulu low flies a chopper with the wall for a giant whale aquarium and drops it in to the invisible space ship.

Then Kirk is conveniently beamed aboard from outside with the whale scientist who they can't just boot off.

And Deanna fucking Troi in everything - eating her filthy chocolate sundaes while denying Reg Berkeley a wank on the holodeck.
It's PETUNIAS TIME again, folks!!!

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

#70  Postby tuco » Jun 20, 2017 2:04 am

lol indeed

Complaints about replicator food not being as good as cooked one.
tuco

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Film & TV