Reading this depressed me.

Getting sick and tired of re-makes.

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Reading this depressed me.

#1  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Oct 08, 2014 11:57 pm

For fucking fuck's sake! We don't fucking need a fucking remake of every fucking thing!!!!!!! :lay: :lay: :lay: :lay: :lay:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29536370
Bill Nighy, Sir Michael Gambon, Toby Jones and Sir Tom Courtenay are among the stars who will appear in a big-screen remake of classic sitcom Dad's Army.

Jones will star as Captain Mainwaring, Nighy will appear as Sergeant Wilson and Courtenay will play Corporal Jones.

Gambon will fill the role of Private Godfrey and there will also be roles for Catherine Zeta Jones, Sarah Lancashire and Mark Gatiss...


Somebody stop this bloody madness!!! Whoever commissioned this ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves!
Also available on Rationalia

Image
User avatar
Horwood Beer-Master
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Ian
Posts: 2186
Age: 39

Country: England
England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Reading this depressed me.

#2  Postby I'm With Stupid » Oct 09, 2014 1:40 am

Don't worry, it's being made by the same people who made Johnny English and Mr. Bean's Holiday, so it's in safe hands. :shifty:
Image
User avatar
I'm With Stupid
 
Posts: 9632
Age: 36
Male

Country: Malaysia
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Reading this depressed me.

#3  Postby Varangian » Oct 09, 2014 7:04 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:Don't worry, it's being made by the same people who made Johnny English and Mr. Bean's Holiday, so it's in safe hands. :shifty:

You mean they are so competent, the Germans will be marching up Whitehall in episode 2?
Image

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
User avatar
Varangian
RS Donator
 
Name: Björn
Posts: 7298
Age: 56
Male

Country: Sweden
Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Re: Reading this depressed me.

#4  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 09, 2014 7:08 am

Horwood Beer-Master wrote:For fucking fuck's sake! We don't fucking need a fucking remake of every fucking thing!!!!!!! :lay: :lay: :lay: :lay: :lay:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29536370
Bill Nighy, Sir Michael Gambon, Toby Jones and Sir Tom Courtenay are among the stars who will appear in a big-screen remake of classic sitcom Dad's Army.

Jones will star as Captain Mainwaring, Nighy will appear as Sergeant Wilson and Courtenay will play Corporal Jones.

Gambon will fill the role of Private Godfrey and there will also be roles for Catherine Zeta Jones, Sarah Lancashire and Mark Gatiss...


Somebody stop this bloody madness!!! Whoever commissioned this ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves!

Be happy it isn't being turned in a musical. Yet.
I swear everything nostalgic or remotely popular is being turned into a musical over here. :rage:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31088
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Reading this depressed me.

#5  Postby UncertainSloth » Oct 09, 2014 7:15 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Somebody stop this bloody madness!!! Whoever commissioned this ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves!

Be happy it isn't being turned in a musical. Yet.
I swear everything nostalgic or remotely popular is being turned into a musical over here. :rage:[/quote]

already been one - in the 70s - 'twas a revue style show...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dad's_Army_(stage_show)
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
User avatar
UncertainSloth
 
Posts: 3523
Age: 47
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Reading this depressed me.

#6  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 09, 2014 7:16 am

UncertainSloth wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Somebody stop this bloody madness!!! Whoever commissioned this ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves!

Be happy it isn't being turned in a musical. Yet.
I swear everything nostalgic or remotely popular is being turned into a musical over here. :rage:


already been one - in the 70s - 'twas a revue style show...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dad's_Army_(stage_show)[/quote]
Wouldn't stop the musical industry over here.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31088
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Reading this depressed me.

#7  Postby Mike_L » Oct 09, 2014 7:21 am

They're even doing a remake of Ben Hur. Given that the 1959 movie with Charlton Heston was a remake of a black-&-white 1925 version, which was a remake of a one-reel silent 1907 version, this new one will be a remake of a remake of a remake.
User avatar
Mike_L
 
Posts: 14365
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Reading this depressed me.

#8  Postby quisquose » Oct 09, 2014 7:35 am

A few years ago it always amused me to read fans of John Carpenter's The Thing complain about fucking remakes after the new one was announced.
User avatar
quisquose
RS Donator
 
Posts: 3058
Age: 57
Male

Country: Sheffield, UK
Print view this post

Re: Reading this depressed me.

#9  Postby Emmeline » Oct 09, 2014 7:54 am

I don't have a problem with it - in fact I quite like to see new interpretations of existing programmes/films.

It happens all the time in the theatre so why not on film?
Emmeline
 
Posts: 10401

Print view this post

Re: Reading this depressed me.

#10  Postby Spinozasgalt » Oct 09, 2014 8:05 am

quisquose wrote:A few years ago it always amused me to read fans of John Carpenter's The Thing complain about fucking remakes after the new one was announced.


It ended up being a prequel, anyway. And Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Joel Edgerton made it pretty easy to watch. :)
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
User avatar
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator
 
Name: Jennifer
Posts: 18770
Age: 34
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Reading this depressed me.

#11  Postby hackenslash » Oct 09, 2014 8:19 am

Well, if they can at least make it funny, it will be a vast improvement on the original Dad's Army, which was about as shit as TV's ever been, barring the modern strain of reality TV.
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 21444
Age: 51
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Re: Reading this depressed me.

#12  Postby Animavore » Oct 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Looks like Uncle Buck is coming to our TV screens soon.
http://deadline.com/2014/10/uncle-buck- ... er-847580/
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44754
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post


Return to Film & TV

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest