Rush Limbaugh not happy about "black" James Bond

Racist bigot flips his lid - surprising nobody

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Rush Limbaugh not happy about "black" James Bond

#21  Postby Fallible » Dec 31, 2014 12:09 am

VazScep wrote:
Animavore wrote:To add, for me Bond is a refined and well-spoken, British gentleman/bad-ass. Idris Elba is already all of those things. End of.
Elba is a bad ass, but has a pretty thick London accent and a far too fashionable goatee. He's not so easily transposed in my mind to Bond. Bu then, he's not easily transposed to Nelson Mandela, so what do I know?

Daniel Craig is in real life a plastic Scouser (Chester born, Wirral raised), but he's an actor so he can do accents. Likewise Idris Elba is a Londoner, but he's an actor so he can do accents. I think he'd make a brilliant Bond, he has the presence, bad-assery and charisma in spades, IMHO. However not quite yet - I am enjoying Daniel Craig's portrayal still.

Anyway, how about Chiwetel Ejiofor? He wants to be the next Bond villain, but fuck that. He should be the next Bond. He has a standard middle-class accent and has a grown-up beard.

I don't know his stuff well enough to comment, but I have heard he is a first class actor.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Fallible » Dec 31, 2014 12:12 am

This thread made a quote appear in my head - ''the name's James Bond. James Bond'' - which I found very funny, but could not recall where it was from. Then I remembered and was embarrassed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Fools_%28TV_series%29
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Onyx8 » Dec 31, 2014 12:21 am

Christ. Had a look, you should be.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Fallible » Dec 31, 2014 12:32 am

:lol:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby ED209 » Dec 31, 2014 12:34 am

The next james bond has to be either tom hardy or danny dyer.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#26  Postby Made of Stars » Dec 31, 2014 1:10 am

ED209 wrote:The next james bond has to be either tom hardy or danny dyer.

Or Graham Norton.

But srsly, I think Elba would make an excellent Bond. It'll be down to the producers/writers not to fuck it up.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Nicko » Dec 31, 2014 1:28 am

Fallible wrote:
VazScep wrote:
Animavore wrote:To add, for me Bond is a refined and well-spoken, British gentleman/bad-ass. Idris Elba is already all of those things. End of.
Elba is a bad ass, but has a pretty thick London accent and a far too fashionable goatee. He's not so easily transposed in my mind to Bond. Bu then, he's not easily transposed to Nelson Mandela, so what do I know?

Daniel Craig is in real life a plastic Scouser (Chester born, Wirral raised), but he's an actor so he can do accents. Likewise Idris Elba is a Londoner, but he's an actor so he can do accents. I think he'd make a brilliant Bond, he has the presence, bad-assery and charisma in spades, IMHO. However not quite yet - I am enjoying Daniel Craig's portrayal still.

Craig's Bond is the closest to Fleming's original version yet.

Fallible wrote:
Anyway, how about Chiwetel Ejiofor? He wants to be the next Bond villain, but fuck that. He should be the next Bond. He has a standard middle-class accent and has a grown-up beard.

I don't know his stuff well enough to comment, but I have heard he is a first class actor.

He is.

Personally, I find the idea of a black Bond as absurd as that of a white Shaft.

Are there any number of black actors who could play a dashing, ruthless, urbane, brutal British Secret Agent? Of course.

They wouldn't be Bond, though. The time is not now that a black guy can believably have that character's background. I think that will change though. Just to be crystal clear, my objection is not to the skin colour itself but to the cultural background the colour implies.

Conversely, Jeffrey Wright's portrayal of Felix Leiter is completely plausible. Hopefully - in keeping with the latest reboot's faithfulness to the spirit of the novels - we can see more of the guy who is about the closest thing to a "buddy" Bond ever had.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby The_Piper » Dec 31, 2014 2:02 am

laklak wrote:
orpheus wrote:The name is Orph. Uncle Orph.

The name is Lak. Lak Lak.

Full name?
Fletch F. Fletch
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Dec 31, 2014 2:35 am

Shaft's identity and appeal was that of an individual belonging to a marginalized social minority presented as empowered and strong. White Shaft would be missing that aspect and just wouldn't be Shaft.

Bond's ethnicity has no relevance to his character. You can deviate from standard Bond in that respect in a way you can't with characters whose ethnicities are relevant to their identities.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Animavore » Dec 31, 2014 3:16 am

I would accept a white Shaft if he were Irish and living in the time of British oppression.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Onyx8 » Dec 31, 2014 3:23 am

Oh you...
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Seabass » Dec 31, 2014 6:47 am

Animavore wrote:I would accept a white Shaft if he were Irish and living in the time of British oppression.

:lol:

That would be a pretty awesome Shaft.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

Print view this post

#33  Postby Nicko » Dec 31, 2014 7:05 am

Animavore wrote:I would accept a white Shaft if he were Irish and living in the time of British oppression.

I wouldn't.

A story about an Irish PI operating in Belfast during the Troubles sounds like an awesome idea - surely someone's done it? - but it wouldn't be Shaft.

Shaft has a class, a gender and an ethnicity. Change those, it's not Shaft anymore.

Bond has a class, a gender and an ethnicity. Change those, it's not Bond anymore.

As British conceptions of class and ethnicity change into the future, a black Bond will almost certainly become feasible. It just would not work today. As gender roles alter, a female Bond may even become possible, although they'd have to change the name.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Precambrian Rabbi » Dec 31, 2014 9:44 am

Nicko wrote:As British conceptions of class and ethnicity change into the future, a black Bond will almost certainly become feasible. It just would not work today.

Why not?

Surely the question of whether "conceptions of class and ethnicity" have changed sufficiently for people to accept a black Bond should be largely answerable by looking at whether a sufficient proportion of people would accept a black Bond? There seems to be a pretty significant proportion of commentators (myself included, with regard Idris) on the "fuck yeah!" side of that fence.

Without delving into the figures, I concede that the acceptance and support for a black Bond is likely to be concentrated in the type of demographics that don't include Rush Limbaugh, but that leads me on to two points:

1: Fuck Rush Limbaugh's demographic

2: The old life/art/mirror paradox. If conceptions of class and ethnicity are to change, surely popular art is a significant tool in that job. Changing conceptions is what art is supposed to do.

Sure the professional hate mongers like Rush are not going to buy into it (see point 1) but I get through this life by hanging on to the belief that the majority of your casual middle-England bigots are actually capable of being nice, decent, people if you can just distract them from their outrage long enough to baby step them into the 21st century. Sure, they'll read with amazed outrage that that back fella - you know the one from Luther - is earmarked to play Bond, and they'll tut at the PC brigade gone mad and reminisce about how you used to be able to buy bendy bananas and walk to the corner shop without having to speak polish. But they'll get used to it. Partly because they are already used to identifying with black lead characters. Because shows like Luther have already done a job of subliminally changing conceptions of class and ethnicity. And they'll like it. Because it would be awesome. And the daily mail will have some shiny new thing (or newly shined old thing) for them to get outraged about. And the world will have taken another baby step into the 21st century. And for those that I'm wrong about, see point 1.
"...religion may attract good people but it doesn't produce them. And it draws in a lot of hateful nutjobs too..." AronRa
Precambrian Rabbi

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby NineBerry » Dec 31, 2014 10:21 am

Pierce Brosnan is an Irishman.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby ED209 » Dec 31, 2014 11:49 am

He's a complicated man...but no one understands him with that accent... :whistle:
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#37  Postby Fallible » Dec 31, 2014 11:56 am

:rofl:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Nicko » Dec 31, 2014 1:12 pm

Precambrian Rabbi wrote:
Nicko wrote:As British conceptions of class and ethnicity change into the future, a black Bond will almost certainly become feasible. It just would not work today.

Why not?

Because black British people do not yet have the history in Britain to play someone descended from old money/minor nobility, which is who Bond is. You can't put a black person in the role without changing the entire background of the character, at which point he's not the same character: more importantly he doesn't represent the same things.

Conversely, a reboot of the "Harry Palmer" movies could have the lead - originally played by Michael Caine - convincingly played by a black actor.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#39  Postby quisquose » Dec 31, 2014 1:31 pm

I got really maaaad when Jeffrey Wright played Felix Leiter.

:stir:
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#40  Postby Spinozasgalt » Dec 31, 2014 1:40 pm

I don't like James Bond. I hope that the franchise dies. Let the Bond death hold illimitable dominion over all.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV