Saw Franchise VS Hellraiser Franchise

in terms of rightousness

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Saw Franchise VS Hellraiser Franchise

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 15, 2018 10:51 pm

Saw is plausible, Hellraiser is not, yet Saw is boring, and Hellraiser is rich and entertaining...by my mind anyway. Hellraiser....is a far richer topic in terms of ramifications and motivation by my mind, yet, again, Saw is far more pragmatic and essentially real world. Or maybe they're just trying to make money or something (one can't have two lunches ; ))...
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Saw Franchise VS Hellraiser Franchise

#2  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 15, 2018 11:02 pm

I mean, Hellraiser would be so much more accessibly praiseworthy if they didn't keep saying the J word before there faces are torn to shreds by the tenterhooks...because then the artistic terrors could be atheist/agnostic and theist guilt nightmares....but saying the J word invalidates the lot to all but the Xtians?
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 17, 2018 12:27 am

Bump
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#4  Postby laklak » Jun 17, 2018 2:42 am

I prefer Hellraiser. The first Saw was OK, but only for the shock value.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 17, 2018 3:19 am

Hellraiser : judgement is an absurd riot...it goes on in 2018
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#6  Postby Papa Smurf » Jun 17, 2018 7:38 am

Hellraiser wins by far, no contest. Love the first two installments (especially the second), haven't seen much of what came after that. Love some of the Pinhead quotes from the second movie and dr. Channard is brilliant.

I actually have a rather nice replica of The Puzzle Box, in fact I have three of them: a cheap plastic one and two much more expensive solid wooden with etched brass panels. One of those boxes is actually movable :shock: .

In general I prefer horror movies that feature monsters rather than serial killers, psychopaths etc., I guess because it keeps things firmly in the realm of fantasy. I did kinda enjoy the first Saw installment but I can't be bothered to watch all the rest. The whole Hellraiser story/mythology is so much more interesting.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Fallible » Jun 17, 2018 7:41 am

I prefer my horror films psychological and slow-building, but Clive Barker is a master storyteller. I haven't read a book by him I didn't enjoy.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Papa Smurf » Jun 17, 2018 8:11 am

Fallible wrote:I prefer my horror films psychological and slow-building, but Clive Barker is a master storyteller. I haven't read a book by him I didn't enjoy.

I've only read Imajica, Abarat (first two) and The Hellbound Heart so far but I really liked those.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 17, 2018 8:15 am

Saw was fine, but kinda meh. I've only seen the first one. I don't remember all of the details of Hellraiser (again, only seen the first one), but I remember it leaning hard into the horror aspect and I remember a strong heroine who just becomes awesome almost out of nowhere at some point.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Fallible » Jun 17, 2018 9:00 am

Those are my thoughts about Saw. 'Fine, but kinda meh'. US would disagree. Papa, Imajica's great. I recommend Weaveworld
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby UncertainSloth » Jun 17, 2018 9:23 am

saw - i liked the first one, enjoyed the following few as i liked the way the plots weaved together...lost interest around about the 4th or 5th one, iirc...haven't seen the last few...not a great fan of violent horror and gore on film, tbh

i'm a barker obsessive, though, lap up anything he writes...knew fall would recommend weaveworld...;)
She battled through in every kind of tribulation
She revelled in adventure and imagination
She never listened to no hater, liar
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire
Laura Mvula
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/fierceandfabulous
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Papa Smurf » Jun 17, 2018 9:28 am

Fallible wrote:I recommend Weaveworld

Thanks, will have to pick that one up sometime. It's actually sort of on my reading list (not a physical list as such but just one of those titles that has kinda stuck in my head as a potential good read). I'm more into fantasy than horror anyway, especially for reading, so this should be right up my alley.

One last thing about Hellraiser (the movie): the film score by Christopher Young is fantastic, especially what he did for the second installment.

I've always thought that Christopher Young should have been commissioned for the Lord of the Rings soundtrack rather than Howard Shore.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 17, 2018 11:48 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:Saw was fine, but kinda meh. I've only seen the first one. I don't remember all of the details of Hellraiser (again, only seen the first one), but I remember it leaning hard into the horror aspect and I remember a strong heroine who just becomes awesome almost out of nowhere at some point.

Is that the correct spelling? Is Pin Head hyphenated or not? It's the risk of doing time that stops me from adressing these issues with stencils; or would that be my paranoia.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#14  Postby Papa Smurf » Jun 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:Saw was fine, but kinda meh. I've only seen the first one. I don't remember all of the details of Hellraiser (again, only seen the first one), but I remember it leaning hard into the horror aspect and I remember a strong heroine who just becomes awesome almost out of nowhere at some point.

Is that the correct spelling?

Yes. Heroin without the e at the end refers to the drug.

Keep It Real wrote:Is Pin Head hyphenated or not? It's the risk of doing time that stops me from adressing these issues with stencils; or would that be my paranoia.

I've always seen it written as Pinhead, no hyphen or space. It's just a nickname btw., originally given to the 'lead cenobite' character by the crew of the first Hellraiser movie.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Return to Film & TV