Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

Boldly going for a half-century.

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#61  Postby Mike_L » May 18, 2017 12:13 pm

lpetrich wrote:I was unable to watch that video because of copyright restrictions. Is there any way to get around that, like officially-released stills?


Embedding an alternative link, same trailer...

User avatar
Mike_L
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 14315
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#62  Postby DavidMcC » May 18, 2017 1:53 pm

Alythough Star Trek (in all its generations) is OK idealogically, it has a lot to answer for scientifically, because all too many viewers actually believed the pseudoscience, such as FTL travel, transporter beams, etc. :nono:
Not helped by that Japanese physicist/showman, who once tried to persuade his audience that there would one day be transporter beams. :roll:
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 67
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#63  Postby zulumoose » May 18, 2017 2:09 pm

You can't really do epic scale science fiction without FTL travel, and who knows what discoveries will be made in the future, I mean who would have imagined that the nature of time and space would not continue to be Newtonian before relativity came along?
User avatar
zulumoose
 
Posts: 3625

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#64  Postby tuco » May 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Without FTL universe would be a sad place indeed.
tuco
 
Posts: 15544

Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#65  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Ironclad wrote:The Klingons do look JJish

The fact they have ridges already makes them non-Roddenberry, as far as continuity is concerned.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31080
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#66  Postby Ironclad » May 19, 2017 2:56 am

DavidMcC wrote:Alythough Star Trek (in all its generations) is OK idealogically, it has a lot to answer for scientifically, because all too many viewers actually believed the pseudoscience, such as FTL travel, transporter beams, etc. :nono:
Not helped by that Japanese physicist/showman, who once tried to persuade his audience that there would one day be transporter beams. :roll:

Transporter beams are bs but FTL spee... wait, fuck off I'm not going there again! :lol:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
User avatar
Ironclad
RS Donator
 
Name: Nudge-Nudge
Posts: 23882
Age: 51
Male

Country: Wink-Wink
Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#67  Postby lpetrich » May 19, 2017 9:20 am

Mike_L wrote:Embedding an alternative link, same trailer...

Also blocked on copyright grounds.
lpetrich
 
Posts: 750
Age: 60
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#68  Postby NineBerry » May 19, 2017 10:17 am

What country are you in?
User avatar
NineBerry
RS Donator
 
Posts: 6133
Age: 42
Male

Country: nSk
Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#69  Postby DavidMcC » May 19, 2017 11:50 am

zulumoose wrote:You can't really do epic scale science fiction without FTL travel, and who knows what discoveries will be made in the future, I mean who would have imagined that the nature of time and space would not continue to be Newtonian before relativity came along?

Ironically, under Newton, FTL travel would have been possible!
Appealing to the unknown is not an argument for the possibility of FTL travel making a comeback.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 67
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#70  Postby zulumoose » May 19, 2017 11:55 am

Ironically, under Newton, FTL travel would have been possible!


Well they maybe didn't have solid reasoning to declare it impossible, since it didn't break any known laws, but on the other hand to accelerate a vessel to above light speed the Newtonian way would mean throwing something else out the back faster than light, and they didn't know of anything that could do that either.
User avatar
zulumoose
 
Posts: 3625

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#71  Postby lpetrich » May 19, 2017 12:43 pm

NineBerry wrote:What country are you in?

The United States of America. That's what that miniature Stars and Stripes flag indicates.
lpetrich
 
Posts: 750
Age: 60
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#72  Postby NineBerry » May 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Maybe this one works in the us?

https://youtu.be/3rj4inzcAKk
User avatar
NineBerry
RS Donator
 
Posts: 6133
Age: 42
Male

Country: nSk
Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#73  Postby DavidMcC » May 19, 2017 2:05 pm

zulumoose wrote:
Ironically, under Newton, FTL travel would have been possible!


Well they maybe didn't have solid reasoning to declare it impossible, since it didn't break any known laws, but on the other hand to accelerate a vessel to above light speed the Newtonian way would mean throwing something else out the back faster than light, and they didn't know of anything that could do that either.

I meant, of course, possible in principle. But, as you say, it was anyhow not possible in practice to even attempt it. They therefore had no way of knowing that such an attempt couldn't work in any case.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 67
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#74  Postby lpetrich » May 19, 2017 4:53 pm

NineBerry wrote:Maybe this one works in the us?

https://youtu.be/3rj4inzcAKk

Beautiful. Thanx. No copyright barrier.
lpetrich
 
Posts: 750
Age: 60
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#75  Postby Animavore » May 25, 2017 8:06 am

A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44683
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#76  Postby John Platko » Mar 06, 2018 11:21 pm

I just found out about the recreation of the Star Trek TOS set. This seemed like a good place to post it.

I like to imagine ...
User avatar
John Platko
 
Name: John Platko
Posts: 9411
Male

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#77  Postby Mike_L » Mar 07, 2018 8:09 am

Super! :thumbup:
User avatar
Mike_L
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 14315
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#78  Postby Ironclad » Mar 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Nice, I'll watch later
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
User avatar
Ironclad
RS Donator
 
Name: Nudge-Nudge
Posts: 23882
Age: 51
Male

Country: Wink-Wink
Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#79  Postby John Platko » Mar 08, 2018 1:36 am

A lot of great photos and discussion of them building the set can be found here. They are also recreating the 11 foot enterprise filming model!
I like to imagine ...
User avatar
John Platko
 
Name: John Platko
Posts: 9411
Male

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Star Trek: 50th Anniversary

#80  Postby Mike_L » Mar 08, 2018 7:04 am

John Platko wrote:They are also recreating the 11 foot enterprise filming model!

:awesome: :thumbup:

The original Enterprise was made by Richard C. Datin Jr., Mel Keys, Vernon Sion and Volmer Jensen.
This video is mostly about the visual effects of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, but it starts with Richard Datin briefly describing how he made the 1960s Enterprise models (a 3 ft preliminary and the final large-scale version)...

User avatar
Mike_L
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 14315
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest