Star Trek: Picard is the best

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Star Trek: Picard is the best

#21  Postby laklak » Jun 01, 2020 8:28 pm

Never figured out how the idea of seatbelts was lost, but they obviously didn't know about them.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Animavore » Jun 01, 2020 8:46 pm

I probably would've watched it if it was like a Star Trek equivalent of Curb Your Enthusiasm with Picard breaking extra terrestrial taboos and creating hilarious diplomatic misunderstandings.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Hermit » Jun 01, 2020 8:53 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Either way, disliking a show, because of how some of it's fans view it, seems a bit odd.

Absurd, actually. It's like disliking Nietzsche's works because the Nazis tried to make him one of their own. His insistence on expressing his ideas so much via aphorisms and poetry made it easy to twist them into shit he never meant. It also made him largely misunderstood or not understood at all. On the bright side, he provided a broad target to be made fun of.

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby devogue » Jun 02, 2020 12:18 am

Animavore wrote:I probably would've watched it if it was like a Star Trek equivalent of Curb Your Enthusiasm with Picard breaking extra terrestrial taboos and creating hilarious diplomatic misunderstandings.

ie Galaxy Quest :smoke:
It's PETUNIAS TIME again, folks!!!

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

#25  Postby NineBerry » Jun 02, 2020 12:23 pm

That would be "the Orville"
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 02, 2020 3:38 pm

laklak wrote:Never figured out how the idea of seatbelts was lost, but they obviously didn't know about them.

Or circuit breakers.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby NineBerry » Jun 02, 2020 4:14 pm

https://youtu.be/iFwfyErY8Yo

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
I fixed that link so we see the preview of the video.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Here's how I fixed it
Here's what you posted:

Code: Select all
https://youtu.be/iFwfyErY8Yo

When I follow that link with my browser, youtube goes here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFwfyErY8Yo&feature=youtu.be

That has what the phpBB software needs, but I edit it a bit, deleting the "s" of the protocol statement, and deleting what I think is the trick that shows a short URL somehow: "&feature=youtu.be". Here's how that URL looks in the format our board can render:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFwfyErY8Yo

The_Metatron
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby proudfootz » Jun 02, 2020 4:46 pm

laklak wrote:Never figured out how the idea of seatbelts was lost, but they obviously didn't know about them.

Star Trek is an alternate timeline where Ralph Nader never existed.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby laklak » Jun 02, 2020 4:48 pm

...and the Corvair was the best selling car in the 70s
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#30  Postby proudfootz » Jun 02, 2020 5:00 pm

Maybe in our timeline the wrong people's lives were saved...
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby laklak » Jun 02, 2020 5:59 pm

I think we took a wrong turn at a universe branching some time back.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#32  Postby arugula2 » Jun 04, 2020 11:50 pm

Hermit wrote:
arugula2 wrote:...the only reason to recommend fiction on TV is if it's written/acted/directed well. I can't speak for the original series, but much of TNG is simply good television...

Keep enjoying the show. I have sampled it over the decades. Production values have certainly risen since those horrifically cheap productions...

<snip>
...but content has never (in my view) gone beyond soap opera standard.

Just to be emphatic... "written/acted/directed well" seems unanswered here (re TNG). I do see a specific impression about "production values" but... imo that doesn't figure much into whether or not I'll recommend a show, if it has the other elements. Otherwise, there's a subtle comparison here to "content" that hasn't gone "beyond soap opera standard". Idk... it does seem like an earnest encounter with TNG is yet to be had here. :thumbup:

I find a lot of vintage Star Trek (say, up to and including Voyager, before set design and general visuals shifted noticeably) to be utter dreck. (It's generally worse after that.) It's specific episodes of TNG that transcend the tackiness of the franchise as a whole, imo, and make for excellent television, by drawing on the strength of the ensemble & some clever writing and storyboarding. Luckily, the show is truly episodic, and one can enjoy only the good episodes while gleaning enough about personalities & relationships just from those.

edit: wrong attribution
Last edited by arugula2 on Jun 05, 2020 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#33  Postby laklak » Jun 05, 2020 2:04 am

Ah c'mon, Evil Spock was positively Shakespearean. Hand me your agonizer, please.
Attachments
Evil Spock.jpg
Evil Spock.jpg (37.28 KiB) Viewed 400 times
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#34  Postby proudfootz » Jun 05, 2020 1:41 pm

I have a lot of nostalgia for the original series. Some of the stuff was pretty good compared to contemporary shows. But there was a lot of crap, too.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby arugula2 » Jun 09, 2020 5:20 am

I caught some of TNG & DS9 (and Voyager) while they aired, but... have surprisingly little nostalgia for them. It's only many years later that I've come to appreciate just how good certain TNG episodes are, in the ways that matter most to me (ie, cheap sets aside). The good ones I can probably watch at least once a year & still enjoy. Still, it's a fairly small fraction of the total. Fuck it, I'll probably list them here at some point, because they deserve to be rescued from the cheesy funk of the franchise.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby newolder » Jun 09, 2020 7:22 am

What were the choices back then? I don't remember the sequence but I recall Dr. Who, Voyage to the bottom of the sea, Star Trek and Twilight Zone. I watched what was available. I have no nostalgia for them and recent technical advances are superb but wtf has Star Trek: Picard got to do with anything? :dunno: Beaming down for a fist fight was/is a plainly stupid idea and as a plot development tool it's just wasteful of everyone's time. :doh: :picard:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#37  Postby NineBerry » Jun 09, 2020 7:45 am

In the good old times, the Federation was a society to look up to. It showed that utopia was possible. Today, in the new series, it's just as corrupt and evil as all our current governments. Really a bummer
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#38  Postby newolder » Jun 09, 2020 7:52 am

^ Yes, I forgot to add the bit about lack of relevance to earlier Star Trek series in my burbling rant. sry.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#39  Postby NineBerry » Jun 09, 2020 7:57 am

I liked watching discovery and Picard. They are certainly entertaining. And the idea that there will not be utopia, but that progress, freedom, democracy is an ever ongoing process that needs constant struggle is certainly more realistic. But it just means losing on the hope, watching the old Federation would give.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#40  Postby newolder » Jun 09, 2020 8:53 am

That's entertainment? [/Weller] Seriously, Star Trek: Picard is as entertaining (read: incoherent) as a dotard cult leader in the White House speech:

[/rant]
newolder

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV