Star Wars: The Force Awakens for those who have seen it

Spoilers....you are warned

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - rating

Extremely good - recommended
19
39%
Enjoyed it
16
33%
Overhyped but worth seeing
13
27%
Wait for the streaming
1
2%
Go see The Martian instead ..too dated...too contrived
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 49

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens for those who have seen it

#161  Postby Animavore » Jan 19, 2016 9:57 pm

A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44683
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens for those who have seen it

#162  Postby Animavore » Dec 21, 2019 1:46 pm

On the Rey is a Mary Sue argument. It's clearly established Rey has a tough life in a rough neighbourhood where she needs to constantly fend off thieves and cut throats. She certainly has a rougher life than farmer boy Luke Skywalker.

That's not just me noticing this, right?

Sure she jumps in the Millennium Falcon and isn't sure how she just flew but I don't see how that's different to Luke hopping in a X-Wing.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44683
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens for those who have seen it

#163  Postby scott1328 » Dec 21, 2019 2:32 pm

Animavore wrote:On the Rey is a Mary Sue argument. It's clearly established Rey has a tough life in a rough neighbourhood where she needs to constantly fend off thieves and cut throats. She certainly has a rougher life than farmer boy Luke Skywalker.

That's not just me noticing this, right?

Sure she jumps in the Millennium Falcon and isn't sure how she just flew but I don't see how that's different to Luke hopping in a X-Wing.

or baby darth vader just knowing how to fly a naboosian fighter at the age of 8
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8695
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens for those who have seen it

#164  Postby Animavore » Dec 21, 2019 2:56 pm

It's established after that Rey has piloting and mechanical skills. When asked, 'How did you do that?' and she said she didn't know she just meant she didn't know how she was able to pull off the outmanoeuvring skills, not fly.

So she has that over both the Skywalkers.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44683
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens for those who have seen it

#165  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 21, 2019 2:59 pm

I always had to assume that the force gave them special intuition to pilot vehicles. There's no quicker way to get a list of all the problems with the original films then to watch fanbois try to dissect the new ones!
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14600
Age: 41
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens for those who have seen it

#166  Postby Animavore » Dec 21, 2019 3:01 pm

Even the song and dance about her able to fight Kylo Ren is answered. He was injured by the Wookie.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44683
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens for those who have seen it

#167  Postby Ironclad » Dec 21, 2019 3:05 pm

She shoots down three TIE fighters with one shot, and overpowers both Luke and Ren in hand-to-hand combat. She is Mary Sue.
The ultimate Mary Sue though has to be Yoda. In the new TV show, The Mandelorian, baby Yoda stops a charging bull/reptile thing and levitates it. A baby.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
User avatar
Ironclad
RS Donator
 
Name: Nudge-Nudge
Posts: 23879
Age: 51
Male

Country: Wink-Wink
Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens for those who have seen it

#168  Postby Animavore » Dec 21, 2019 3:08 pm

Anyway, the realisation of Rey being a potentially more powerful Force user than Kylo is essential to his character development and arc.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44683
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens for those who have seen it

#169  Postby Animavore » Dec 21, 2019 3:09 pm

Ironclad wrote:She shoots down three TIE fighters with one shot, and overpowers both Luke and Ren in hand-to-hand combat. She is Mary Sue.
The ultimate Mary Sue though has to be Yoda. In the new TV show, The Mandelorian, baby Yoda stops a charging bull/reptile thing and levitates it. A baby.

An injured Ren.

A 50 year-old baby.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44683
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens for those who have seen it

#170  Postby Ironclad » Dec 21, 2019 11:13 pm

With a shitty nappy
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
User avatar
Ironclad
RS Donator
 
Name: Nudge-Nudge
Posts: 23879
Age: 51
Male

Country: Wink-Wink
Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens for those who have seen it

#171  Postby The_Piper » Dec 22, 2019 12:13 am

scott1328 wrote:
Animavore wrote:On the Rey is a Mary Sue argument. It's clearly established Rey has a tough life in a rough neighbourhood where she needs to constantly fend off thieves and cut throats. She certainly has a rougher life than farmer boy Luke Skywalker.

That's not just me noticing this, right?

Sure she jumps in the Millennium Falcon and isn't sure how she just flew but I don't see how that's different to Luke hopping in a X-Wing.

or baby darth vader just knowing how to fly a naboosian fighter at the age of 8

Despite Obi-wan in the first film calling Anakin the greatest pilot in the galaxy, or something like that. Meanwhile the kid was saying oops while accidentally defeating the empire. :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
User avatar
The_Piper
 
Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Posts: 28461
Age: 46
Male

Country: Chainsaw Country
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens for those who have seen it

#172  Postby purplerat » Dec 22, 2019 2:43 am

Ironclad wrote:She shoots down three TIE fighters with one shot, and overpowers both Luke and Ren in hand-to-hand combat. She is Mary Sue.
The ultimate Mary Sue though has to be Yoda. In the new TV show, The Mandelorian, baby Yoda stops a charging bull/reptile thing and levitates it. A baby.

It sounds like it's The Force that is the ultimate Mary Sue.
User avatar
purplerat
 
Posts: 12946
Male

Country: Only in America
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens for those who have seen it

#173  Postby Hermit » Dec 22, 2019 2:55 am

Ironclad wrote:With a shitty nappy

Image
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Name: Cantankerous grump
Posts: 4334
Age: 67
Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Film & TV

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest