Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: still very much white supremacist dreams of the master race

#101  Postby Fallible » Dec 06, 2019 2:46 pm

The_Piper wrote:
Fallible wrote:Do you like oranges?

I like turtles.

The hell you do!!
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#102  Postby Hermit » Dec 06, 2019 3:24 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:
I tried to discover statistics concerning the amount of shoplifting perpetrated by thrill-seekers, but my Google-fu failed me. Can you help? This is what I did find out during my search, though: A third of retail stores' lossage is caused by their own employees. The rest is divided between professional and amateur shoplifters. Professionals steal for profit, amateurs overwhelmingly out of personal need they can not meet with money because they lack it.

You cite no sources...

Funny you should mention that. :mrgreen:

For shit and grins like this, Hermit, you can find a link to support any opinion you like:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/re ... cle625886/

You don't even have to read the article, which is a waste of time; the text of the link tells a story in itself.

Yup. The link is a waste of time - an opinion piece by a columnist in a newspaper, less socially liberal than its competitor, the Toronto Star, that endorsed Stephen Harper's Conservative Party in the 2006, 2008, 2011 and 2015. Worse, the author provides no evidence whatsoever for your assertion that most shoplifters are just thrill-seekers. In short: You got nothing. :roll:
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#103  Postby felltoearth » Dec 06, 2019 4:30 pm

Hermit wrote:In short: You got nothing. :roll:

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Hermit » Dec 06, 2019 4:37 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Hermit wrote:In short: You got nothing. :roll:

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

As long as it's his future (and JJ's) only, there's not much to get excited about. Image
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#105  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 06, 2019 4:48 pm

Hermit wrote:

You don't even have to read the article, which is a waste of time; the text of the link tells a story in itself.

Yup. The link is a waste of time - an opinion piece by a columnist in a newspaper, less socially liberal than its competitor, the Toronto Star, that endorsed Stephen Harper's Conservative Party in the 2006, 2008, 2011 and 2015. Worse, the author provides no evidence whatsoever for your assertion that most shoplifters are just thrill-seekers. In short: You got nothing. :roll:

Whether or not it's an opinion piece, somebody published a book looking at the problem and came to no conclusions. That's the kind of publishing that makes the big bucks in discussing "social problems". If it's not a real problem, or merely a First World problem, nobody's less surprised than I am. By all means, find something that convinces me who steals the most in terms of register price.

In the long run, it's irrelevant whether I have anything or not. With articles and books like that, lots of people are licensed to believe that shoplifters are thrill-seekers, whether or not I'm wedded to that notion. In any event, the costs associated with shoplifting are passed along to you, the consumer. What a thrill for you, if you're socially liberal, and the conservatives gain ground, which is a thrill for them. It's a measure of how many folks are well-enough off that they can afford to practice theft for fun. The more they have, the more they can steal.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#106  Postby Hermit » Dec 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:In any event, the costs associated with shoplifting are passed along to you, the consumer.

Me think it 'mazing. What other news do you have for me? The consumer pays 165 billion bucks to Bezos and a few trillion to the rest of the billionaires? Say it ain't so, Cito. Please say it ain't so.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#107  Postby arugula2 » Dec 30, 2019 1:39 am

There's a shocking amount of switching between the absolute and the conditional, it gives me whiplash. And then couching it all in sardonic half-assertions... it's almost like one doesn't believe the misanthropic things one says, but feels the need to say them anyway.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#108  Postby arugula2 » Dec 30, 2019 2:40 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:I get this, but I think it's worthwhile to point out that when it comes to the rabble, what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. If you're going to claim you're the True Fan because you like some specific iteration and some other iteration is a personal betrayal to your childhood or whatever, then it's easy to make the case that you're a fan of that specific thing, not the thing in general, so you've got no basis to claim ownership of it. It's self-defeating.

Except that it's conditional. And the condition is: this new thing is derived, in part or in whole, from this prior thing. And for that reason, the fan rebels. I'm not endorsing the reaction, but I bet it's prehistoric.

I agree, but again, context for these statements is important. If you can show a person that they're dismissing via categorizing by showing them how they too can be dismissed via categorizing, then I think that is a potential for learning too.

Hmm... Well, I didn't know the point was to teach them... but ok.

I disagree with you on a number of points, first that the vessel or context is not important. It certainly is in this case, since Scorcese's rants against superhero films ultimately come from his inability to produce his own new film via major studios, instead ending up with Netflix to get it done. It's convenient that he would argue that major studios have changed in a way that's negatively impacted him, and that the change is a bad thing. He simply asks us to accept his claim that cinema is "becoming homogenized", as you put it, and that there's a problem with risk and auteurs. I find it more self-serving than thought-provoking. The makers of superhero films (some of them anyway) certainly do have a vision, and that vision varies from one film to the next, contrary to the claims of people whose complaints seem wholly based on the fact that it features people in costumes with superhuman powers. Instead of whining about superhero stories, maybe Scorcese should try making one that he thinks is actually good, much like Moore did, rather than ironically complaining that Hollywood isn't interested in yet another gangster film. What he's actually doing is categorizing and dismissing, which he can get way with because it's aimed at what's popular right now.

Idk that these genres mean much to them, but... did Moore make a superhero movie? I see his partner collaborated on a few things, but Moore himself apparently refused. Anyway, re: Scorsese... I don't think "the studio didn't fund my project" counts against him, since he's supposedly diagnosing a problem that helps explain that experience. It only matters whether he is correct or not - and so, the container itself (Scorsese) doesn't matter. Iow, you can determine whether or not what he claims about the larger "problem" is true, without ever weighing (or being swayed by) your dislike of the man or his elitist attitudes.

One doesn't need Scorsese to make the obvious larger point, anyway: for better or worse, a huge & growing chunk of box office retail in the last decade was taken up by Marvel or Marvel-adjacent movies. That necessarily redirects funding & studio interest away from whatever else might've filled that space in a less Marvel-centric era. There's nothing controversial about it, it's just faks. Scorsese's merely opining that it's regretful. (I doubt independent filmmakers are especially suffering nowadays, compared to pre-Marvel times. I think they've always struggled. But I'm not in the industry, so I just don't know if there's been a palpable shift.)

One thing I do agree with him about the Marvel phenomenon specifically, is that it's not very daring. I remember feeling excited by certain stylistic choices in the first Thor... but generally every Marvel movie I've seen, and I've seen them all at least once, is barely there. It's inoffensive, it "checks the boxes" for character arcs & resolutions, it laughs at itself (that's their best quality, imo), and it features a string of charming actors. The visuals are sometimes very pretty. With the exception of a few details here and there (the particular timbre of the drums in Black Panther comes to mind) nothing shook me & lingered as particularly memorable. That's fine, there'll probably always be enough action & comedy to get me to watch them once - if I'm a guest & I'm not paying. It's painful for me to watch any one of them twice, though, even years apart. That's just me. And Scorsese, I guess. Pretty sure we're not alone. So it's not really about superheroes in costumes.

Just incidentally, another fan-franchise for comparison: I find the Star Wars movies excruciating. I'd be amazed at how many of them there are already, if they even fully registered in my mind, which they don't, not really.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Film & TV