Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11721  Postby arugula2 » Jul 02, 2020 4:52 pm

Notably, the point was about an afterlife, and not necessarily about gods/atheism. So, Manhattan is consistent here. :)

In fact, of all people (even subconsciously), I guess Manhattan would be best positioned to opine on what happens when our telomeric end-cycle kicks in.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
    - Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#11722  Postby Animavore » Jul 02, 2020 7:57 pm

My own parents were equally dismissive about many supernatural stuff, not God exactly, that subject just wasn't really talked about, but I was always told there's no such thing as ghosts and things like that and that that was the end of it. No more questions.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11723  Postby arugula2 » Jul 02, 2020 8:06 pm

Almost as though it’s the prerogative of parents to express their opinion about the supernatural? Seems extreme.

Actually, for television, cocksure naturalism is a bit overdue, and still pretty scarce. Never mind that there should be nothing controversial about guessing (or with Manhattan’s superior insight, averring) outright that we do not continue living after death (not yet anyway). We have a long way to go if this is still noteworthy, much less annoying.

Added: and to be clear, it's not really about atheism/theism. Anyone weaned on sci-fi premises (which is most of us today) is perfectly open to the idea that there are 'gods' out there. The assertion of an afterlife is muuuuuuch more speculative and threadbare than this.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#11724  Postby aban57 » Jul 03, 2020 2:17 pm

aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#11725  Postby arugula2 » Jul 03, 2020 4:05 pm

A scosh on topic...

The trailer for this made me cry, so... I didn't think I would want to watch this, and now I'm sure I don't. :snooty:

I'm wondering why it has 6.4k downvotes on youtube (~ 2/5 dislike ratio)... yet another sociological peephole.

Added: Oh. Well, a random comment on another posting of it reminds me it could be because there's one or more same-sex couples in it? But that's so painfully boring.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#11726  Postby Blip » Jul 04, 2020 8:59 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
The discussion on social justice warriors and the like has been split to its own thread here.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#11727  Postby Animavore » Jul 04, 2020 11:28 am

Oh! Bored of that topic now.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11728  Postby aban57 » Jul 04, 2020 11:34 am

I started watching Snowpiercer. I like it very much (I loved the movie), Jennifer Connelly is great, as usual.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#11729  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 05, 2020 5:31 pm

aban57 wrote:I started watching Snowpiercer. I like it very much (I loved the movie), Jennifer Connelly is great, as usual.

Loving it so far.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11730  Postby Animavore » Jul 07, 2020 10:24 am

I usually look at these lists and think, yeah, knew all of that. Not this one.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11731  Postby Animavore » Jul 07, 2020 8:31 pm

Watching Spaced on Netflix. Brilliance.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11732  Postby arugula2 » Jul 07, 2020 8:37 pm

Not available in the States there. It is on Hulu though.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#11733  Postby Macdoc » Jul 14, 2020 3:14 am

Image :popcorn:

Not my usual fare but ecommended by buddy withh similar tastes and I like watching a different culture. Must admit ....gave me a shiver early on. :?
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11734  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 17, 2020 3:46 pm

Not bad.
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Name: NotTellingYouThatSorry

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#11735  Postby arugula2 » Jul 20, 2020 9:41 pm

Just started these two Netflix shows: Image Image

Can You Hear Me? (M'entends-tu?) - Three grungy best friends in Quebec, very funny so far. The usually unintelligible dialect is extra-elusive here. One of the characters holds a book whose title (Dis petits nègres) is captioned as And Then There Were None, which of course sent me down that rabbit hole. What I was shocked to find out is that Ten Little Niggers (original British title) is the best-selling mystery novel of all time, and 6th best-selling book of any kind. Also: I'll kill you if you spoil the ending - I just started reading it.

Marianne - Famous horror writer retreats to her hometown after one of her literary creations starts bothering her. (The French here is intelligible.) One of those where's the line between fiction and reality things. I, uh... haven't really started watching it... it was already on my list, and I re-watched the trailer last night, and, uh... about 2 minutes into episode 1 is as far as I was willing to risk at that hour. :paranoid: But I downloaded a couple episodes.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#11736  Postby proudfootz » Jul 23, 2020 10:22 am

I'm liking a lot of documentaries.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11737  Postby arugula2 » Jul 23, 2020 6:16 pm

Update:

The scares in Marianne are fairly inventive & quite unnerving. But I don’t find the main character interesting, so it seems like a waste of time & I gave up.

Can You Hear Me? (M’entends-tu?) is very smartly put together, and the three ladies are hilarious & cool. I :heart: them. It’s only 1 of them (Florence) that speaks the quebecois extra-slushy, but she’s also probably the funniest character - though all 3 have uniquely funny traits. Great casting.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#11738  Postby aban57 » Jul 24, 2020 4:30 pm

aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#11739  Postby laklak » Jul 26, 2020 2:23 am

Found an over the air channel showing the Heroes&Icons network. Watching WWII TV shows I watched when I was a kid - Rat Patrol, Combat, 12 O'Clock High, Black Sheep Squadron. I feel like I'm 12 years old again. Rat Patrol is bad, utterly ridiculous, like guy using an M1921A1 Thompson as a sniper rifle level ridiculous . But Combat was a cool TV show. 12 O'Clock High had B-17s and ME-109s. Black Sheep Squadron was Corsairs vs Zeros in the Pacific. I grew up on this stuff.

On a broader note, the explosion of over the air and streaming services is utterly amazing. I'm seeing every old TV show I ever watched growing up, from Andy Griffith to the Adams Family. all those Westerns like Wanted Dead or Alive and Have Gun Will Travel, The Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, it's a veritable borgaschmord, I'm tellin' ya, of 50s and 60s nostalgia. Watched the goddamn Cisco Kid the other day. Hey, Cisco! Hey, Pancho! I'm entering my 2nd or 3rd childhood, I think I've lost count.

Another Rat Patrol on, they're in a bar somewhere in Tunis with French maquis fighters in berets, guys in red fezes playing bouzoukis, and swarthy Bedouins in turbans and veils. Wait! There's an SS officer! How's that work? I"m pretty sure Tunis wasn't a neutral port.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#11740  Postby arugula2 » Jul 26, 2020 3:25 am

laklak wrote:Another Rat Patrol on, they're in a bar somewhere in Tunis with French maquis fighters in berets, guys in red fezes playing bouzoukis, and swarthy Bedouins in turbans and veils. Wait! There's an SS officer! How's that work? I"m pretty sure Tunis wasn't a neutral port.

Nominally neutral until the Vichy imploded, it seems.

I remember Heroes & Icons also as the repository of all Star Trek series, and Hercules & Xena.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV