Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#41  Postby Agrippina » Mar 04, 2010 8:02 am

Varangian wrote:
Agrippina wrote:What about that old series The World at War, now that was something!


OK, that documentary is close to 40 years old now, and the graphics haven't aged gracefully, but the interviews... Here we have many of the main names, just 25 years after the war. When they make a WW2 documentary today, they are lucky if they can find an octogenarian sergeant who can still remember things.


Yes that's why historical that is very valuable. Even if the graphics are a bit aged. The interviews are valuable. Such a shame that we can't live longer.
Illegitimi non carborundum
User avatar
Agrippina
 
Posts: 36690
Age: 110
Female

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#42  Postby Blogopolis » Mar 05, 2010 3:33 am

The Secret Diary of a Call Girl: A non-guilty pleasure of mine, featuring Billie "Rose Tyler" Piper as the happy hooker.

The United States of Tara: The continuing adventures of a housewife and her alternate personalities. Biker Buck is my favorite.

The Tudors: Jonathan Rhys-Myers (Velvet Goldmine) as the scheming Henry VIII. Who could ask for anything more? :evilgrin:

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack: Silliest animation since Terry Gilliam. A story of a young wide-eyed dreamer, the sperm whale who watches over him, and a slovenly would-be adventurer named Cap'n K'nuckles.

Mad Men: As much chicanery as The Tudors, only it takes place in early 60's Madison Avenue. :evilgrin:

Penn & Teller's BULLSHIT!: From lie detectors to 2012, the dynamic duo of debunking spares no sacred cows.

The Boondocks: The adventures of two brothers and their dyspeptic grandpa as they try to adjust to life in the mostly white neighborhood of Woodcrest.

Oh, and did I forget to mention...

DOCTOR WHO: The mysterious time traveller with more lives than a cat... and the companions that love him.

More to come...
"Left Wing, Right Wing... It's all Chicken."

-John Strausbaugh Sissy Nation
Blogopolis
 
Posts: 41
Male

Country: This here U. S. of A.
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#43  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 05, 2010 3:49 am

I'm also a Lost-phile. I'm also, like you, glad that there are only 10 episodes left. They rarely rerun the show, and it's one of those shows that you have to follow or else you're... well, lost (no pun intended... or is that even a pun? :think: ).

Other than that, I'm obsessed with the TV to the point of needing it to fall asleep or to have as background noise while I'm reading, but I don't enjoy much on TV.
I like Family Guy, and South Park and King of the Hill to a lesser extent. I watch various things on the Documentary Channel, IFC (when we had it, that is), and the Discovery Channels, especially Mythbuisters.
That's about it... at least when it comes to current TV. A longer list would be my all time favorite shows.
User avatar
Mac_Guffin
 
Name: Christopher
Posts: 6649
Age: 33
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#44  Postby andyx1205 » Mar 05, 2010 5:25 am

I guess the Daily Show and Colbert Report won't count so...

Two and a Half Men
Family Guy
30 Rock
The Office
The Big Bang Theory (hilarious)
Chuck (entertaining, Yvonne Strahovski is hot)
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
User avatar
andyx1205
 
Name: Andy
Posts: 6651
Age: 30
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#45  Postby Agrippina » Mar 05, 2010 8:27 am

I'm sure I heard that Chuck was dropped.

I adore Big Bang Theory, it's like watching my kids interact. :lol:
Illegitimi non carborundum
User avatar
Agrippina
 
Posts: 36690
Age: 110
Female

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#46  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 05, 2010 7:46 pm

andyx1205 wrote:I guess the Daily Show and Colbert Report won't count so...

Two and a Half Men
Family Guy
30 Rock
The Office
The Big Bang Theory (hilarious)
Chuck (entertaining, Yvonne Strahovski is hot)


Why won't they count?

I knew I was forgetting something, and it was those 2 shows... but I watch The Daily Show more. Colbert can get a little tiring.
I liked him a lot better when he was just a segment on The Daily Show.
User avatar
Mac_Guffin
 
Name: Christopher
Posts: 6649
Age: 33
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#47  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 06, 2010 12:04 am

Blogopolis wrote:

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack: Silliest animation since Terry Gilliam. A story of a young wide-eyed dreamer, the sperm whale who watches over him, and a slovenly would-be adventurer named Cap'n K'nuckles.



If you watch that, you must watch Chowder too, right?
I'm a huge fan of both :)

There's a new show starting soon called Adventure Time that looks promising also. The animation reminds me a bit of Babycakes/The Professor Bros. [both Brad Neely web series], which I'm also a fan of.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
User avatar
mmmcheezy
RS Donator
 
Posts: 4171
Age: 33
Female

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#48  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 06, 2010 12:12 am

mmmcheezy wrote:
Blogopolis wrote:

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack: Silliest animation since Terry Gilliam. A story of a young wide-eyed dreamer, the sperm whale who watches over him, and a slovenly would-be adventurer named Cap'n K'nuckles.



If you watch that, you must watch Chowder too, right?
I'm a huge fan of both :)

There's a new show starting soon called Adventure Time that looks promising also. The animation reminds me a bit of Babycakes/The Professor Bros. [both Brad Neely web series], which I'm also a fan of.


My little niece watches Chowder and The Mighty B, and they're actually pretty good.
User avatar
Mac_Guffin
 
Name: Christopher
Posts: 6649
Age: 33
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#49  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 06, 2010 12:17 am

Mac_Guffin wrote:
mmmcheezy wrote:
Blogopolis wrote:

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack: Silliest animation since Terry Gilliam. A story of a young wide-eyed dreamer, the sperm whale who watches over him, and a slovenly would-be adventurer named Cap'n K'nuckles.



If you watch that, you must watch Chowder too, right?
I'm a huge fan of both :)

There's a new show starting soon called Adventure Time that looks promising also. The animation reminds me a bit of Babycakes/The Professor Bros. [both Brad Neely web series], which I'm also a fan of.


My little niece watches Chowder and The Mighty B, and they're actually pretty good.


Most of my friends say things like "OH CARTOONS WERE SO MUCH BETTER WHEN WE WERE KIDS!" But I think that's a lie. Most of the best, most subversive, and most entertaining cartoons I've seen have been within the last few years.

I already miss Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

And I think Spongebob Squarepants and the Fairly Odd Parents have run as long as they have [historically unheard of for Nickelodeon, outside of the Rugrats] because they're GOOD.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
User avatar
mmmcheezy
RS Donator
 
Posts: 4171
Age: 33
Female

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#50  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 06, 2010 12:28 am

mmmcheezy wrote:
Mac_Guffin wrote:
mmmcheezy wrote:
Blogopolis wrote:

The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack: Silliest animation since Terry Gilliam. A story of a young wide-eyed dreamer, the sperm whale who watches over him, and a slovenly would-be adventurer named Cap'n K'nuckles.



If you watch that, you must watch Chowder too, right?
I'm a huge fan of both :)

There's a new show starting soon called Adventure Time that looks promising also. The animation reminds me a bit of Babycakes/The Professor Bros. [both Brad Neely web series], which I'm also a fan of.


My little niece watches Chowder and The Mighty B, and they're actually pretty good.


Most of my friends say things like "OH CARTOONS WERE SO MUCH BETTER WHEN WE WERE KIDS!" But I think that's a lie. Most of the best, most subversive, and most entertaining cartoons I've seen have been within the last few years.

I already miss Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

And I think Spongebob Squarepants and the Fairly Odd Parents have run as long as they have [historically unheard of for Nickelodeon, outside of the Rugrats] because they're GOOD.


What are some of the subversive cartoons you're talking about, and what are some examples of subversiveness (Post videos if you like.)?
I'm not doubting you so much as showing interest, in case there's any mix-up.
I thought our Ren & Stimpy, Animaniacs, and Rocko's Modern life went as far as you could go in a children's cartoon. :think:
User avatar
Mac_Guffin
 
Name: Christopher
Posts: 6649
Age: 33
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#51  Postby mmmcheezy » Mar 06, 2010 12:33 am

Mac_Guffin wrote:

What are some of the subversive cartoons you're talking about, and what are some examples of subversiveness (Post videos if you like.)?
I'm not doubting you so much as showing interest, in case there's any mix-up.
I thought our Ren & Stimpy, Animaniacs, and Rocko's Modern life went as far as you could go in a children's cartoon. :think:


I'm not saying subversive as "radically inappropriate" or anything. More just "bizarre, not the norm." If you sit down and really watch shows like Flapjack and Chowder, and even to a large extent, Spongebob, they're really really weird. The storylines rarely remotely resemble anything that would happen in real life. They're not as preachy and lesson-heavy as cartoons were for a few years.
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
User avatar
mmmcheezy
RS Donator
 
Posts: 4171
Age: 33
Female

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#52  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 06, 2010 12:53 am

mmmcheezy wrote:
Mac_Guffin wrote:

What are some of the subversive cartoons you're talking about, and what are some examples of subversiveness (Post videos if you like.)?
I'm not doubting you so much as showing interest, in case there's any mix-up.
I thought our Ren & Stimpy, Animaniacs, and Rocko's Modern life went as far as you could go in a children's cartoon. :think:


I'm not saying subversive as "radically inappropriate" or anything. More just "bizarre, not the norm." If you sit down and really watch shows like Flapjack and Chowder, and even to a large extent, Spongebob, they're really really weird. The storylines rarely remotely resemble anything that would happen in real life. They're not as preachy and lesson-heavy as cartoons were for a few years.


What are some of these (other than the ones you've mentioned)?
I watch Spongebob sometimes. I only catch Chowder and Mighty B only once in a while.

Are there any that have the innuendo-laden humor of Animaniacs, etc.? I loved the dirty shit they got past the radar. :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eUMRhnnFhg[/youtube]
User avatar
Mac_Guffin
 
Name: Christopher
Posts: 6649
Age: 33
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#53  Postby Velma » Mar 06, 2010 9:18 am

Mythbusters
Was called Russell at RDF, (and still am in Teh Real WurldTM)

Sausages and Software are two things the end user should never see being made
User avatar
Velma
 
Posts: 58
Age: 52
Male

Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#54  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 06, 2010 9:36 am

Currently awaiting new season of Dr Who.

Plowing through Bones right now.

We seem to plow through series one episode per night (more or less) and have great fun doing this.

We already zapped BSG, the Prisoner, The IT Crowd.

Up next is probably The Office or The West Wing. Maybe Family Guy.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
User avatar
NineOneFour
 
Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Posts: 20906
Age: 51
Male

Country: Cascadia
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#55  Postby Teshi » Mar 06, 2010 4:05 pm

I don't mean right now, but at this very moment I'm watching the brilliant QI. Stephen Fry is God.


I admit that this is my comfort tv. I'm rationing season 7 like its the last tv on Earth.

I like my tv light and fluffy. Books are for heaviness. I am watching:

Chuck
Leverage*
White Collar*
NCIS (season 4, working my way through)
Psych*
The Mentalist

awaiting return:
Doctor Who
Lie to Me
In Plain Sight

Occaisional (e.g. when I run out of other tv):
Hustle

I'm sure I heard that Chuck was dropped.


There was some talk about Chuck being cancelled before the third season, which is currently airing now. As far as I know, it's still going.

* Extreme fluff.
Teshi
 
Posts: 330

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#56  Postby Agrippina » Mar 06, 2010 6:34 pm

My husband will be pleased to hear that about Chuck.
Illegitimi non carborundum
User avatar
Agrippina
 
Posts: 36690
Age: 110
Female

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#57  Postby Darkchilde » Mar 06, 2010 10:06 pm

Waiting for Doctor Who, currently.

I usually watch:

CSI all three incarnations of it
Numb3rs
Bones
The Mentalist
Fringe

and have a few more I have not yet watched at all, like True Blood and Merlin.
User avatar
Darkchilde
RS Donator
 
Posts: 9015
Age: 51
Female

Country: United Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#58  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 06, 2010 10:10 pm

Oh, and Dexter.

And we still need to see Chuck.

And all of Big Bang Theory.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
User avatar
NineOneFour
 
Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Posts: 20906
Age: 51
Male

Country: Cascadia
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#59  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 06, 2010 10:12 pm

I like Big Bang Theory, but my sister's always watching that piece of shit show, "Secret Life of the American Teenager" plus a few other shows, and someone else is always watcing the other TV. :nono:
User avatar
Mac_Guffin
 
Name: Christopher
Posts: 6649
Age: 33
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#60  Postby Agrippina » Mar 07, 2010 3:48 am

Darkchilde wrote:Waiting for Doctor Who, currently.

I usually watch:

CSI all three incarnations of it
Numb3rs
Bones
The Mentalist
Fringe

and have a few more I have not yet watched at all, like True Blood and Merlin.


I find True Blood too gory and Merlin is too far from the real story, Guinevere was a princess not a servant.

I like all the others you watch. I'm sorry I missed the early series of CSI, but I was too busy with university work to watch TV, now I have the time, I'd love reruns.

Do you watch House and what did the rest of you think of Boston Legal, I'm so sorry that's gone now?
Illegitimi non carborundum
User avatar
Agrippina
 
Posts: 36690
Age: 110
Female

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests