Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#8081  Postby willhud9 » Jun 26, 2016 11:08 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:

willhud9 wrote:Well I thought korra was awful, but the last airbender was amazing

While I didn't like Korra anywhere near as much as Avatar (really hated some setting's stylistic choices), I don't see how you can possibly say Korra was awful. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say they're two of the best animated shows of our generation.

Well American animation I guess. I am a sucker for Japanese animation and there are so many better shows than Avatar.

But as for Korra, I just could never like Korra and that put me off the whole series honestly. It was okay in some parts, but for the most part I felt it was rushed and just not seriously done to the level it could have been.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8082  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 27, 2016 1:35 am

willhud9 wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

willhud9 wrote:Well I thought korra was awful, but the last airbender was amazing

While I didn't like Korra anywhere near as much as Avatar (really hated some setting's stylistic choices), I don't see how you can possibly say Korra was awful. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say they're two of the best animated shows of our generation.

Well American animation I guess. I am a sucker for Japanese animation and there are so many better shows than Avatar.

Maybe so, but that's only because they shit out shows like there's no tomorrow. Produce so much and you're bound to strike gold more often. The vast, vast majority of anime is formulaic garbage though, surely you'd acknowledge that. But yes, I meant American animation.

But as for Korra, I just could never like Korra and that put me off the whole series honestly. It was okay in some parts, but for the most part I felt it was rushed and just not seriously done to the level it could have been.

You mean you don't like Korra, the character? I really liked that they made her a big dumb meathead that's constantly rushing into things. It's a great flaw for her to struggle with, and it doesn't feel forced or one dimensional to me. I really just hated the whole steampunk/talkie setting, so contrived and dated. The first season felt rushed for sure, but I definitely don't think it was the case after that. Still haven't seen the last season, though.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8083  Postby Fallible » Jun 27, 2016 9:38 am

Fallible wrote:Just downloaded the whole of The Living and the Dead, which is a period supernatural drama from the writers of Life on Mars. Only on the first episode now, but it's very atmospheric.

Watched all but the last episode last night (had to give up and go to bed, because work), and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it concludes. It's very well produced, captures the Somerset I know and keeps dropping in these very jarring moments which are obviously building up to something, but which I can't quite piece together yet. Intrigued.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8084  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 30, 2016 6:55 am

American Gothic is pretty terrible thus far.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8085  Postby Fallible » Jun 30, 2016 7:16 am

Fallible wrote:
Fallible wrote:Just downloaded the whole of The Living and the Dead, which is a period supernatural drama from the writers of Life on Mars. Only on the first episode now, but it's very atmospheric.

Watched all but the last episode last night (had to give up and go to bed, because work), and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it concludes. It's very well produced, captures the Somerset I know and keeps dropping in these very jarring moments which are obviously building up to something, but which I can't quite piece together yet. Intrigued.

Watched the last episode. :scratch: Also, a nice set-up for a second series. I might watch it all again, because that's just the kind of crazy cat I am.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8086  Postby MattHunX » Jun 30, 2016 7:22 am

Haha! Nice to see Colin Morgan, again. After Humans and Merlin. 8-)

Also, I just saw an article today about some list of the best antagonists and monsters and whatever in television shows, and I had to look LOST up, because I was completely unaware the show had such seemingly supernatural elements, the smoke monster and then some. I might watch the whole fucking series, now. :)
MattHunX

Print view this post

#8087  Postby Fallible » Jun 30, 2016 7:47 am

He's grown up a little bit, hasn't he. We did a Lost marathon a couple of years ago. We'd been avoiding it because we tend to do that with stuff that gets loads of hype. Enjoyed it a lot though.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8088  Postby MattHunX » Jun 30, 2016 10:06 am

Fallible wrote:He's grown up a little bit, hasn't he. We did a Lost marathon a couple of years ago. We'd been avoiding it because we tend to do that with stuff that gets loads of hype. Enjoyed it a lot though.

It's funny how I tend to learn of things like this from some totally random article. I never watched Lost, because I always thought, well, how much plot can they cram into a bunch of people stuck on an island. But, the supernatural element and other stuff
I read can make that interesting. :think:
MattHunX

Print view this post

#8089  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 30, 2016 10:25 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

Maybe so, but that's only because they shit out shows like there's no tomorrow. Produce so much and you're bound to strike gold more often. The vast, vast majority of anime is formulaic garbage though, surely you'd acknowledge that. But yes, I meant American animation.

You mean you don't like Korra, the character? I really liked that they made her a big dumb meathead that's constantly rushing into things. It's a great flaw for her to struggle with, and it doesn't feel forced or one dimensional to me. I really just hated the whole steampunk/talkie setting, so contrived and dated. The first season felt rushed for sure, but I definitely don't think it was the case after that. Still haven't seen the last season, though.

I didn't like that, even after 2 seasons of heard earned lessons, she was still pigheaded and rushing into things just as much as at the start of the series.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8090  Postby MattHunX » Jul 03, 2016 4:37 pm

Dragon Ball Super

What the hell is this Black guy? Some form of possession going on? :think:

He looked only a bit distraught when he saw Beerus. But, the fact that he even knows of him is worrying. Maybe he killed a Kai to get that ring? That sounds plausible. Goku and the rest far surpass the abilities of any Kai, so this Black guy should've had no problem disposing of one.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#8091  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 03, 2016 5:23 pm

MattHunX wrote:Dragon Ball Super

What the hell is this Black guy? Some form of possession going on? :think:

He looked only a bit distraught when he saw Beerus. But, the fact that he even knows of him is worrying. Maybe he killed a Kai to get that ring? That sounds plausible. Goku and the rest far surpass the abilities of any Kai, so this Black guy should've had no problem disposing of one.

I haven't watched Super for a month now, completely forgot about it.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8092  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 03, 2016 6:28 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

I didn't like that, even after 2 seasons of heard earned lessons, she was still pigheaded and rushing into things just as much as at the start of the series.

You might have a point, and it might explain why I haven't been motivated to finish watching the show. I still like her, and I do think her approach changed over time though I can't point to specific instances because it's been awhile. She'll still always be an impulsive meathead to some degree, it's a fundamental part of her character. She just needs to find a way to deal with it.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8093  Postby Pulsar » Jul 03, 2016 6:39 pm

This looks promising:

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#8094  Postby Animavore » Jul 04, 2016 11:39 am

Samurai Jack is coming back with a more adult-themed show.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/07/03/n ... s-revealed
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#8095  Postby Briton » Jul 04, 2016 12:00 pm

Pulsar wrote:This looks promising:

I like how they used the term 'original'. :) Looks interesting though.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8096  Postby MattHunX » Jul 04, 2016 1:54 pm

Animavore wrote:Samurai Jack is coming back with a more adult-themed show.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/07/03/n ... s-revealed

Great! Now, if only they'd continue Young Justice with a 3rd season. And Thundercats. And that He-Man series.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#8097  Postby VazScep » Jul 04, 2016 10:17 pm

Oh, man. Preacher is so awesome.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8098  Postby Mazille » Jul 05, 2016 12:18 am

Haven't watched the new episode yet, but it does shape up to be quite good.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#8099  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 05, 2016 5:42 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
willhud9 wrote:

You might have a point, and it might explain why I haven't been motivated to finish watching the show. I still like her, and I do think her approach changed over time though I can't point to specific instances because it's been awhile. She'll still always be an impulsive meathead to some degree, it's a fundamental part of her character. She just needs to find a way to deal with it.

Of course I did not expect her to change her character entirely, it's just that at certain points in the second and a couple of times in the thirds season, she hasn't learned anything. Made no progress.
Still liked the show overall though and that ending...
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8100  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 05, 2016 8:08 am

VazScep wrote:Oh, man. Preacher is so awesome.

Poor Eugene...
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV