Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9641  Postby Mazille » Dec 13, 2017 9:04 am

Wow.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
User avatar
Mazille
RS Donator
 
Posts: 19735
Age: 32
Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9642  Postby Fallible » Dec 13, 2017 12:30 pm

Yeah, that’s right. I said that.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 46708
Age: 45
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9643  Postby zulumoose » Dec 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Just watched the first two episodes of LIFE ON MARS, got series one at a charity shop.

Acting is a bit awkward in places, but it really does pull you in, quite well done historically. The early 70's as depicted are a bit of an eye-opener.

Image
User avatar
zulumoose
 
Posts: 2927

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9644  Postby Fallible » Dec 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Now we’re talking. Acting may appear awkward as it is a bit of a mixture of a programme - it is ostensibly a drama, but is also a pastiche of all the classic 70s cop shows, and incorporates more than a little dry humour as well. From my perspective, the acting is just about as spot on as it could be. But then I verged on obsession when this was first out and would still watch every episode of this and Ashes to Ashes in one sitting if I could.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 46708
Age: 45
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9645  Postby zulumoose » Dec 13, 2017 1:02 pm

I forgot to mention the soundtrack. Excellent mix of 70's stuff, nice to hear some Deep Purple. I love that era of Rock.
The 70's as a music decade I think is very underrated. Some choice stuff once you toss aside the garbage.
On the 70's music topic, my favourite voice of all time is Karen Carpenter, how I wish she were alive to do some less cringeworthy songs, her performances were faultless.
User avatar
zulumoose
 
Posts: 2927

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9646  Postby NamelessFaceless » Dec 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Animavore wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:
Animavore wrote:The Office might be the unfunniest comedy I've ever seen.


Do you mean the British version? I found that one to be rather depressing.


Yes. I would've said The American Office for the American one.

Unless... Is The American Office called The American Office in America?


Dude. You're talking to an American. Everything is American in America. 8-)
User avatar
NamelessFaceless
 
Posts: 5931
Female

Country: USA (Pensacola, FL)
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9647  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 13, 2017 3:42 pm

zulumoose wrote:
The 70's as a music decade I think is very underrated.

Really? Maybe it's just the time I grew up, but 70's has been the most worshipped era of music I've seen. 90's in particular was all about 70's worship. I mean, Led Zeppelin is one of the biggest album sellers of all time.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 12199
Age: 38
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9648  Postby Animavore » Dec 13, 2017 3:44 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:
Animavore wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:
Animavore wrote:The Office might be the unfunniest comedy I've ever seen.


Do you mean the British version? I found that one to be rather depressing.


Yes. I would've said The American Office for the American one.

Unless... Is The American Office called The American Office in America?


Dude. You're talking to an American. Everything is American in America. 8-)


But, I mean, over here the title of the show is actually The American Office, but that might not be the case in America.

Anyway. What prompted me to watch The Office is that one of the lads was watching The American Office in work and I watched it with him and found it funny. I went home and put on the original with the presumption it the original should be the best, and it wasn't. It sucked - badly. The American one is way better.

Oooooh! Now I've done it! Come at me!
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 41013
Age: 39
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9649  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 13, 2017 3:49 pm

It's ok that you didn't get it. If toothless American humor like Big Bang Theory is your thing, stick with what you know :mrgreen:
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 12199
Age: 38
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9650  Postby zulumoose » Dec 13, 2017 3:56 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
zulumoose wrote:
The 70's as a music decade I think is very underrated.

Really? Maybe it's just the time I grew up, but 70's has been the most worshipped era of music I've seen. 90's in particular was all about 70's worship. I mean, Led Zeppelin is one of the biggest album sellers of all time.


How often are 70's songs played on non-rock radio stations though? Maybe I'm just underexposed in South Africa but it is pretty rare to hear anything from the 70's at all in any context, except for a handful of iconic numbers like "it's raining men" or " I will survive". 80s songs are still pretty well supported though.
User avatar
zulumoose
 
Posts: 2927

Country: South Africa
South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9651  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 13, 2017 4:00 pm

zulumoose wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
zulumoose wrote:
The 70's as a music decade I think is very underrated.

Really? Maybe it's just the time I grew up, but 70's has been the most worshipped era of music I've seen. 90's in particular was all about 70's worship. I mean, Led Zeppelin is one of the biggest album sellers of all time.


How often are 70's songs played on non-rock radio stations though? Maybe I'm just underexposed in South Africa but it is pretty rare to hear anything from the 70's at all in any context, except for a handful of iconic numbers like "it's raining men" or " I will survive". 80s songs are still pretty well supported though.

Don't know about now since I don't listen to the radio much, but it used to be standard to hear 70's music on the radio pretty much 24/7 over here.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 12199
Age: 38
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9652  Postby NamelessFaceless » Dec 13, 2017 6:34 pm

Animavore wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:
Animavore wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:

Do you mean the British version? I found that one to be rather depressing.


Yes. I would've said The American Office for the American one.

Unless... Is The American Office called The American Office in America?


Dude. You're talking to an American. Everything is American in America. 8-)


But, I mean, over here the title of the show is actually The American Office, but that might not be the case in America.

Anyway. What prompted me to watch The Office is that one of the lads was watching The American Office in work and I watched it with him and found it funny. I went home and put on the original with the presumption it the original should be the best, and it wasn't. It sucked - badly. The American one is way better.

Oooooh! Now I've done it! Come at me!


Huh. Didn't know that.

Over here it's just The Office. I think most people over here don't even realize there was a British version.

I thought the American version was hilarious too and, like you, assumed the original would be even funnier. But, with the exception of Ricky Gervais, I just found it depressing.
User avatar
NamelessFaceless
 
Posts: 5931
Female

Country: USA (Pensacola, FL)
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9653  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Yeah, most folks over here don't know about the original. Which is probably for the best, not enough zany punchlines for American audiences, and definitely depressing.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 12199
Age: 38
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9654  Postby Animavore » Dec 13, 2017 6:58 pm

I thought The Office was massive in the States. It's the BBC's largest export ever.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 41013
Age: 39
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9655  Postby minininja » Dec 13, 2017 7:15 pm

Animavore wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:
Animavore wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:

Do you mean the British version? I found that one to be rather depressing.


Yes. I would've said The American Office for the American one.

Unless... Is The American Office called The American Office in America?


Dude. You're talking to an American. Everything is American in America. 8-)


But, I mean, over here the title of the show is actually The American Office, but that might not be the case in America.

Anyway. What prompted me to watch The Office is that one of the lads was watching The American Office in work and I watched it with him and found it funny. I went home and put on the original with the presumption it the original should be the best, and it wasn't. It sucked - badly. The American one is way better.

Oooooh! Now I've done it! Come at me!

The American version is fine, but it's just a generic sitcom with silly scenarios and gags with setups and punchlines. The original was never meant to be Haha funny in that way. It's a product of it's time. In 2001 it was groundbreaking, finding humour in social awkwardness and things that went unspoken. We'd had a decade of watching daily repeats of episodes of Friends and it was a breath of fresh air. Nowadays in gloomier times it does seem a bit depressing. It's the same as it would be difficult to do a new series of The Thick Of It, it would no longer seem groundbreaking or funny but just a depressing reflection of reality.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
User avatar
minininja
 
Posts: 1162

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9656  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Animavore wrote:I thought The Office was massive in the States. It's the BBC's largest export ever.

The USA Office is massive over here. Pretty much anyone I talk to who watches it has either never heard of or never seen the original.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 12199
Age: 38
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9657  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 13, 2017 7:26 pm

minininja wrote:The original was never meant to be Haha funny in that way. It's a product of it's time. In 2001 it was groundbreaking, finding humour in social awkwardness and things that went unspoken.

Indeed, awkward/cringe humor is pretty much standard now but I can't think of anything else like the UK Office at the time. Even things like Curb Your Enthusiasm are still relatively light-hearted (or in the case of Always Sunny, pure stupidity), and doesn't have the bleakness of the UK Office.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 12199
Age: 38
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9658  Postby Seabass » Dec 13, 2017 7:35 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Animavore wrote:I thought The Office was massive in the States. It's the BBC's largest export ever.

The USA Office is massive over here. Pretty much anyone I talk to who watches it has either never heard of or never seen the original.

From what I remember, the British one was wildly popular. Most of my friends saw it long before the US one came out.

I remember the DVDs being a very popular holiday/birthday gift. I still have mine.

I also remember it being fashionable to prefer the British one over the US one.

I never saw more than a few episodes of the US one.
Hey, Torquemada, whaddaya say?
I just got back from the auto-da-fé.
Auto-da-fé, what's an auto-da-fé?
It's what you oughtn't to do but you do anyway...

“In the meantime, rest well and dream of large women.”
User avatar
Seabass
 
Name: Typical Macho American
Posts: 2013

Country: Dumpster Fire
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9659  Postby Seabass » Dec 13, 2017 7:40 pm

I don't know if I'd call the UK Office "groundbreaking". It kind of reminded me of the Larry Sanders show. I think Ricky Gervais also said that it was heavily influenced by Spinal Tap.
Hey, Torquemada, whaddaya say?
I just got back from the auto-da-fé.
Auto-da-fé, what's an auto-da-fé?
It's what you oughtn't to do but you do anyway...

“In the meantime, rest well and dream of large women.”
User avatar
Seabass
 
Name: Typical Macho American
Posts: 2013

Country: Dumpster Fire
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#9660  Postby felltoearth » Dec 13, 2017 7:48 pm

zulumoose wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
zulumoose wrote:
The 70's as a music decade I think is very underrated.

Really? Maybe it's just the time I grew up, but 70's has been the most worshipped era of music I've seen. 90's in particular was all about 70's worship. I mean, Led Zeppelin is one of the biggest album sellers of all time.


How often are 70's songs played on non-rock radio stations though? Maybe I'm just underexposed in South Africa but it is pretty rare to hear anything from the 70's at all in any context, except for a handful of iconic numbers like "it's raining men" or " I will survive". 80s songs are still pretty well supported though.


As there's more to the 70s than rock, quite often.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 9222
Age: 50

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests