"The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: God's Not Dead

#61  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 15, 2014 5:52 pm

Tim Danaher wrote:


Sorry, did a search for 'God's not Dead' before posting...

No problem, just pointing out that those 2 should be merged.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31088
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: God's Not Dead

#62  Postby THWOTH » Jan 16, 2014 2:16 am

God is dead. I watched him die. Eight Foot Manchild killed him.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 37113
Age: 56

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: God's Not Dead

#63  Postby Arcanyn » Jan 16, 2014 10:36 am

Didn't he come back as a zombie?
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
User avatar
Arcanyn
 
Posts: 1478
Age: 36
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#64  Postby Ironclad » Jan 16, 2014 11:20 am


!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Threads have been merged. Carry on!
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
User avatar
Ironclad
RS Donator
 
Name: Nudge-Nudge
Posts: 23925
Age: 52
Male

Country: Wink-Wink
Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Re: God's Not Dead

#65  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jan 16, 2014 3:37 pm



Awkward spot for the merge to happen, for me anyway. When I opened this thread and clicked first unread post it took me here, which was immediately after my comment that Karl Rove was an atheist. So I thought you were saying Karl Rove was not an atheist and I just spent the better part of the morning reading the entire imdb on that stupid movie looking for the reference to Karl Rove. :pissed:
User avatar
NamelessFaceless
 
Posts: 6202
Female

Country: USA (Pensacola, FL)
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#66  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 16, 2014 4:21 pm

:lol:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31088
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#67  Postby NamelessFaceless » Mar 22, 2014 1:08 pm

Kevin Sorbo thinks we'll be converted. And if not, it's because we're just mad at God. :nono:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03 ... -to-faith/
User avatar
NamelessFaceless
 
Posts: 6202
Female

Country: USA (Pensacola, FL)
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#68  Postby willhud9 » Mar 22, 2014 3:52 pm

I saw it for free this morning.

It was pretty awful. The fact that it hinted that atheists don't believe in God because of some personal trauma was annoying. It suggested that Muslims are the only faith group intolerant of other faith groups. It failed to defend the existence of God. Overall it was a very weak apologetic film.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
User avatar
willhud9
 
Name: William
Posts: 19349
Age: 29
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#69  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 23, 2014 2:14 am

willhud9 wrote:I saw it for free this morning.

It was pretty awful. The fact that it hinted that atheists don't believe in God because of some personal trauma was annoying. It suggested that Muslims are the only faith group intolerant of other faith groups. It failed to defend the existence of God. Overall it was a very weak apologetic film.

Still want to see this, just to see them, especially Sorbo, make a fool of themselves.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31088
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#70  Postby NamelessFaceless » Mar 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Here's a review you might enjoy:

http://www.avclub.com/review/gods-not-d ... rds-202571

Even by the rather lax standards of the Christian film industry, God’s Not Dead is a disaster. It’s an uninspired amble past a variety of Christian-email-forward boogeymen that feels far too long at just 113 minutes. Resembling a megachurch more than a movie, it’s been designed not to convey any particular message, but to reinforce the stereotypes its chosen audience already holds. It weirdly fetishizes persecution, and many of its story decisions—like randomly tossing in Duck Dynasty stars Willie and Korie Robertson or concluding on an endless concert from popular Christian rock group Newsboys—seem designed to simply get butts in seats. To say God’s Not Dead preaches to the choir would be an understatement. It’s the pastor, staring in a mirror, preaching to himself.
User avatar
NamelessFaceless
 
Posts: 6202
Female

Country: USA (Pensacola, FL)
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#71  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 25, 2014 2:23 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:Here's a review you might enjoy:

http://www.avclub.com/review/gods-not-d ... rds-202571

Even by the rather lax standards of the Christian film industry, God’s Not Dead is a disaster. It’s an uninspired amble past a variety of Christian-email-forward boogeymen that feels far too long at just 113 minutes. Resembling a megachurch more than a movie, it’s been designed not to convey any particular message, but to reinforce the stereotypes its chosen audience already holds. It weirdly fetishizes persecution, and many of its story decisions—like randomly tossing in Duck Dynasty stars Willie and Korie Robertson or concluding on an endless concert from popular Christian rock group Newsboys—seem designed to simply get butts in seats. To say God’s Not Dead preaches to the choir would be an understatement. It’s the pastor, staring in a mirror, preaching to himself.

:lol:
Wow, Kirk Cameron's movie is apparently better.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31088
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#72  Postby Tim Danaher » Apr 08, 2014 9:20 pm

http://scathingatheist.files.wordpress. ... ra-009.mp3

Here's a fantastically funny review from the Scathing Atheist podcast...
User avatar
Tim Danaher
 
Posts: 265
Male

Hungary (hu)
Print view this post

Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#73  Postby Animavore » Apr 08, 2014 9:40 pm

:lmao:
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44753
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#74  Postby Varangian » Apr 09, 2014 12:55 am

Scathing indeed!
Image

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
User avatar
Varangian
RS Donator
 
Name: Björn
Posts: 7298
Age: 56
Male

Country: Sweden
Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#75  Postby Animavore » Apr 09, 2014 8:52 am

I hope this film creates a new wave of Christians coming to this site with renewed courage believing they can defeat us like the straw man on this film.
What a shock they'd be in for.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44753
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#76  Postby Deremensis » Apr 09, 2014 12:42 pm

Animavore wrote:I hope this film creates a new wave of Christians coming to this site with renewed courage believing they can defeat us like the straw man on this film.
What a shock they'd be in for.


The people who'd find themselves here as a result of that movie, thinking that they could disprove Atheism the same way that movie did, would not be swayed by rational argumentation, I don't think.

Not that I mind. I enjoy hitting my head against brick walls.
Deremensis
 
Name: Sean Carter
Posts: 268
Age: 27
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#77  Postby patient zero » Apr 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Animavore wrote:I hope this film creates a new wave of Christians coming to this site with renewed courage believing they can defeat us like the straw man on this film.
What a shock they'd be in for.

I love it when they see the rock-solid assertions they're sure will convert us in a single post crumble into dust. :grin:
Calilasseia wrote:...WHY DO PROFESSIONAL PROPAGANDISTS FOR CREATIONISM HAVE TO LIE FOR THEIR DOCTRINE?
patient zero
 
Posts: 493
Age: 49
Male

Print view this post

Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#78  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Tim Danaher wrote:http://scathingatheist.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/sa-extra-009.mp3

Here's a fantastically funny review from the Scathing Atheist podcast...

:lol:
Still want to see it for shits and giggles.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31088
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#79  Postby willhud9 » Apr 09, 2014 4:26 pm

No you don't. :P
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
User avatar
willhud9
 
Name: William
Posts: 19349
Age: 29
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: "The Atheist Professor" story now a movie.

#80  Postby willhud9 » Apr 09, 2014 4:27 pm

Not only is it bad apologetics (like my dog can shit better apologetics than the movie) but it is also just a bad movie.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
User avatar
willhud9
 
Name: William
Posts: 19349
Age: 29
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest