The Men Who Made Us Fat

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Men Who Made Us Fat

#101  Postby horacerumpole » Jul 12, 2012 9:28 pm

VazScep wrote:
horacerumpole wrote:What doesn't help an overweight person is give them gimmicks, like "don't eat after 6pm" or "don't eat bread" and you'll lose weight.

It doesn't help to sell people a concept that is "it's not that you're not eating too much, it's that you're not eating the right foods in the right combination!"

Do you think it is better to tell people "oh, just cut out all the carbohydrates? (which coincidentally eliminates all the ice cream, cake, Doritos, potato chips, tacos, big macs, french fries, bread and mashed potatos)" -- that is somehow more thoughtful and helpful than saying "eat a balanced diet in roughly the amount your body needs in a day, and adopt a reasonable, sustainable exercise regimen?"

I mean - to imply that I'm the one offering a "well, duh, just stop eating" solution in this conversation is just plain stupid. I'm the one offering a sensible, reasonable, doable solution to someone who is overweight and wants to lose.
It is a stupid "well, duh" solution. The fact that other proposals are stupid doesn't change that.

Well, it isn't. If it is, then suggesting any solution to the problem is a "well, duh" solution, if it's not an easy solution.

Making bogus anti-scientific claims about sugar addictions and high fructose corn syrup doesn't become "the real solution." It may shift responsibility from the person who is trying to lose weight to external factors, and that may give a false impression of being a "deep" or more thoughtful approach to the question -- but, really it's just another bottle of snake oil.

VazScep wrote:
The problem is eating too much and not getting a reasonable amount of exercise.
Yes, yes, the problem is thermodynamics (which, btw, doesn't require that anyone get exercise).

Never said it did. Exercise has more than one function. The fact is, what many people do is make the mistake of trying to go on strict diets and unsustainable workout regimens to get fast results. These cannot be maintained for long and whatever results tend to pile back on when the people can't sustain the program. What I've suggested is for people to make small changes, which are far more sustainable. And, it is much easier to cut out a few hundred calories of food and add a few hundred calories-worth of exercise, then to do it all with calorie reduction. Certainly, folks can do it any way they like, but what I've suggested is that more reasonable modifications in diet which does not operate as a deprivation of entire swaths of foodstuffs.

I mean - to say no or very low carbs means to, basically, "just don't eat" carb based snacks, no treats, no breads, no rice, no potatos. I mean -- come on -- all this "no sugar - no fruit" nonsense is precisely what you're accusing me of. Saying "well, duh, just don't eat it..."

That's precisely what I'm NOT doing, however. I'm NOT telling overweight people to "just stop eating, fatty." I'm suggesting that they make small, reasonable, sustainable changes, and NOT deprive themselves of foods on the premise that if they just refrain from eating bread and french fries the pounds will just melt off and they'll be able to whatever else they want.

I find it really ridiculous that you opted for me to go after with this shit. Why didn't you pipe up against the "don't eat carbs" crowd who think you can eat thousands of calories of beef and pork with wild abandon but if you'll just not eat any carbs the weight will just go away?

VazScep wrote:
A core argument of this programme, again, is that there are other issues, such as aggressive marketing by subsidised food industries with a lot of lobbying power. And when the government in the UK is taking aggressive measures to prevent me from drinking, such as by banning multibuy deals on alcohol and limiting licenses, I get personally quite pissed off that the same government is shit scared of instituting measures to stop people eating themselves to death.

The weight gain over the the last few decades directly correlates to a couple of things:

1. Increased per day average calorie intake.
2. Increased sedentary activities such as television and computer time, and concomitant reduction in other active activities.

These two facts more than anything else have increased markedly, and correspond exactly to the average weight gain. The first item is to a fair degree influenced by the second factor, because those sedentary activities are widely accompanied by additional eating.

A third factor is the dramatic increase in eating outside the home, and restaurant eating involves, generally speaking, more eating.

Regardless of aggressive marketing campaigns, if a person acknowledges that it is eating too much relative to what one's body needs is what causes weight gain, then one can take the step to shut off the t.v./computer and engage in calorie burning activities, and one can be slightly more mindful of portions eaten. That combination alone goes a long way to weight loss.

What absolutely DOESN'T help is convincing people that their amount of food intake and lack of exercise isn't what is causing them to be fat, but rather it's because McDonalds or other such companies are allowed to advertise, or that coke has high fructose corn syrup in it. What that sort of thing does is actually inhibit people from losing weight because it tells them that what is actually causing them to gain weight, well, isn't, and that it's some external factor beyond their control.
"There is not a court in Heaven or Earth...where Horace Rumpole is not ready and willing to appear. On the Day of Judgment I shall probably be up on my hind legs putting a few impertinent questions to the prosecutor."
horacerumpole

Name: Horace Rumpole
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#102  Postby horacerumpole » Jul 12, 2012 9:52 pm

And, take the nonsense being sold in the OP article. Supposedly High Fructose Corn Syrup is interfering with the leptin in our bodies so we can't know when we're full if we eat it.

What's wrong with that?

Well, sugar has the same amount of fructose as high fructose corn syrup, and they both do about the same thing. There are no studies showing any difference in the impact on leptin based on eating sugar or hfcs.

Sugar is just a disaccharide of glucose and fructose (two monosaccharides bound together). HFCS is just a monosaccharide of glucose and a monosaccharide of fructose separate. The molecules are just mixed together rather than bound together. When you eat sugar, the first thing the body does is break the bond and turn them into two monosaccharides. So, ultimately, it's the same shit upside down.

The nomenclature, by the way, may go part of the way to confuse things. High Fructose Corn Syrup is not high in fructose compared to sugar. It's high in fructose compared to regular corn syrup, which is all glucose. They make it high fructose by making it about half fructose and half corn syrup.
"There is not a court in Heaven or Earth...where Horace Rumpole is not ready and willing to appear. On the Day of Judgment I shall probably be up on my hind legs putting a few impertinent questions to the prosecutor."
horacerumpole

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#103  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 13, 2012 10:32 am

In America there is HFCS or sugar in all processed foods and not small amounts either plus the amount of salt is horrendous.

Dont eat processed foods period.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#104  Postby Alan B » Jul 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Part 3.
"Putting the food industry at the policy table is like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank."
"Putting 'Fruit' in large letters on the front of the packet even though it only contains 0.1% fruit flavour, is permissable."
"Labelling a food as 'Healthy' leads to a perception of a 'low-calorie' product even though untrue. People tend to eat upto 50% more of the 'Healthy' labelled food."
That about sums-up Part 3.
When the EU tried to introduce legislation, the food industry attacked local MEPs in Italy suggesting that there would be local job losses if they voted for the proposals. The MEPs voted against.
The food industry has the governments of the world (except for Scandinavia) in their pockets. They lie, cheat, threaten and manipulate politicians to get their way.
This is an indictment of the elected officials who are supposed to run the country for the benefit of the population as a whole. It just exposes their ignorance of the science involved and the lack of guts to combat greedy manipulative corporations.
I knew this was happening but not so manipulative and flagrently wide-spread as exposed in this episode.
:yuk:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#105  Postby horacerumpole » Jul 13, 2012 1:06 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:In America there is HFCS or sugar in all processed foods and not small amounts either plus the amount of salt is horrendous.

Dont eat processed foods period.

This, too, is nonsense. Most food sold in supermarkets in "America" and in other countries, like Europe, are processed. Some foods are bad, and some are good. Processing can be very good, or it can be very bad, depending on how it is processed.

Also, is there any evidence that the processed foods in the US have more sugar or HFCS than in European processed foods?
horacerumpole

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#106  Postby horacerumpole » Jul 13, 2012 1:17 pm

Alan B wrote:Part 3.
"Putting the food industry at the policy table is like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank."
Platitude. And, given that the food industry is the group of organizations that grows/raises, harvests, packages, transports, delivers and sells the food that is eaten, having them represented at the policy table seems like good sense. Having them be the only voices at the table would be inadvisable, but having representatives of farmers, ranchers, meat packers, transportation companies, supermarkets and grocers, etc. "at the table" seems like a sensible way to come up with policy because the wrong policy could impact the ability of these entities to grow/raise and deliver food.

Alan B wrote:
"Putting 'Fruit' in large letters on the front of the packet even though it only contains 0.1% fruit flavour, is permissable."
Wouldn't that depend on what was actually said on the front?

Alan B wrote:
"Labelling a food as 'Healthy' leads to a perception of a 'low-calorie' product even though untrue. People tend to eat upto 50% more of the 'Healthy' labelled food."

Evidence? Avocados are healthy, as are peanuts and almonds, and lean chicken. But, does anyone view them as "low calorie?" They don't present convincing evidence of this "50% more." And, they conveniently use the "up to" 50% more. So, what is it? From 0 to 50% more?

Alan B wrote:
That about sums-up Part 3.
When the EU tried to introduce legislation, the food industry attacked local MEPs in Italy suggesting that there would be local job losses if they voted for the proposals. The MEPs voted against.

What was the legislation going to do? Would there have been local job issues?

Alan B wrote:
The food industry has the governments of the world (except for Scandinavia) in their pockets. They lie, cheat, threaten and manipulate politicians to get their way.
Wait, I thought it was the international bankers....it's the food industry now?

Alan B wrote:
This is an indictment of the elected officials who are supposed to run the country for the benefit of the population as a whole. It just exposes their ignorance of the science involved and the lack of guts to combat greedy manipulative corporations.
I knew this was happening but not so manipulative and flagrently wide-spread as exposed in this episode.
:yuk:

Wait, what science are they ignorant of?

Was it "exposed" or "alleged?"
horacerumpole

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#107  Postby Alan B » Jul 13, 2012 1:40 pm

Those are rough quotes from Part 3, which you probably haven't seen yet.
Who the fuck mentioned bankers?

That the politicians in general are ignorant of science and wouldn't know a kcalorie from a kjoule is my opinion and not part of the program (which you haven't viewed).

And as for local job issues, this was the threat (it appears that the local MEPs did not ask for evidence :dunno: ) used by the food industry in Italy.
In the UK, Sainsbury's has adopted a more easily understandable 'traffic light' system for nutrition (which Tescos haven't) without any threat of job losses or reduction in profits. Which I think was the issue here.

Oh, do watch the program first without any more snidey unsupported comments. :doh:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#108  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 13, 2012 1:46 pm

Alan B wrote:Those are rough quotes from Part 3, which you probably haven't seen yet.
Who the fuck mentioned bankers?

That the politicians in general are ignorant of science and wouldn't know a kcalorie from a kjoule is my opinion and not part of the program (which you haven't viewed).

And as for local job issues, this was the threat (it appears that the local MEPs did not ask for evidence :dunno: ) used by the food industry in Italy.
In the UK, Sainsbury's has adopted a more easily understandable 'traffic light' system for nutrition (which Tescos haven't) without any threat of job losses or reduction in profits. Which I think was the issue here.

Oh, do watch the program first without any more snidey unsupported comments. :doh:

Exactly. I agree totally.
He cant have seen the programme yet and anyway it would probably not be shown in America as the food industry is in total control there.
What amazes me is how complete the power of the food industry is.
By food industry we are not including producers here because they get the bad end of the deal as well.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#109  Postby Alan B » Jul 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:He cant have seen the programme yet and anyway it would probably not be shown in America as the food industry is in total control there.

I've just skimmed through this thread and I couldn't exactly determine if anyone in the US has actually seen these programs...

Could someone enlighten me? :ask:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#110  Postby horacerumpole » Jul 13, 2012 2:38 pm

I saw the first two episodes, but not three yet.

If the third is like the first two, then it's more of the same. And, from your rough quotes, I can smell the bullshit already. I also saw a trailer/teaser of episode 3.
horacerumpole

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#111  Postby Alan B » Jul 13, 2012 2:57 pm

horacerumpole wrote:I saw the first two episodes, but not three yet.

If the third is like the first two, then it's more of the same. And, from your rough quotes, I can smell the bullshit already. I also saw a trailer/teaser of episode 3.

Perhaps, SD, the US food industry is not in total control, as you feared... :dance:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#112  Postby Pulsar » Jul 13, 2012 2:58 pm

see http://www.youtube.com/user/BBUK0001/videos

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCqKcOBPss4[/youtube]

Haven't seen it yet myself.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Alan B wrote:
horacerumpole wrote:I saw the first two episodes, but not three yet.

Perhaps, SD, the US food industry is not in total control, as you feared... :dance:

Ok it might just not be total but they do have a massive clout.

BTW Alan I am not happy being called SD as he is an already a well known member.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#114  Postby Alan B » Jul 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:BTW Alan I am not happy being called SD as he is an already a well known member.

Oh yes. Him. :oops:

Sorry, Scot Dutchy.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#115  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 13, 2012 3:12 pm

Alan B wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:BTW Alan I am not happy being called SD as he is an already a well known member.

Oh yes. Him. :oops:

Sorry, Scot Dutchy.

Yes I am afraid.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#116  Postby Alan B » Jul 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Some years ago (I am going back a bit, here) I seem to remember that the recommended daily energy intake for the 'average' male was about 2000 kcal. and about 1800 kcal. for women. I've tried Googling for this but cannot find anything. (I have instead found this set of data: Human Energy Requirements).

Most of the Health/Diet sites seem to recommend 2500 kcal. for men and 2000 kcal. for women. These figures are accompanied by a list of recommended amounts for nutrients. They are all similar: GDA Label UK - (Backed by Tesco).

A typical list would be for men (in grams):
kcalories 2500; Protein 55 (12.2%); CHO 300 (66.7%); Sugar 120 (26.7%); Fat 95 (21.1%); Sat. Fat 30 (6.7%); Fibre 24 (5.3%).

If the energy due to the nutrients is calculated, the figure only comes to 2275 kcal.: a shortfall of 225 kcal.
(Protein & CHO = 4 kcal./gram; Fat = 9 kcal./gram).

So where did 'they' get this '2500' figure? Pick it 'out of the air'? It doesn't bear any relation to the actual nutrients listed.

And of course the 'Food Industry' won't complain, now, will they? Their whole purpose is to get us to eat more to increase their profits - and if they can 'convince' (or at least, not discourage) the 'health and fitness' industry, then it is all to the good for the food industry.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#117  Postby Clive Durdle » Jul 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Are we being astroturfed here?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#118  Postby horacerumpole » Jul 13, 2012 5:41 pm

Alan B wrote:Some years ago (I am going back a bit, here) I seem to remember that the recommended daily energy intake for the 'average' male was about 2000 kcal. and about 1800 kcal. for women. I've tried Googling for this but cannot find anything. (I have instead found this set of data: Human Energy Requirements).

Most of the Health/Diet sites seem to recommend 2500 kcal. for men and 2000 kcal. for women. These figures are accompanied by a list of recommended amounts for nutrients. They are all similar: GDA Label UK - (Backed by Tesco).

A typical list would be for men (in grams):
kcalories 2500; Protein 55 (12.2%); CHO 300 (66.7%); Sugar 120 (26.7%); Fat 95 (21.1%); Sat. Fat 30 (6.7%); Fibre 24 (5.3%).

If the energy due to the nutrients is calculated, the figure only comes to 2275 kcal.: a shortfall of 225 kcal.
(Protein & CHO = 4 kcal./gram; Fat = 9 kcal./gram).

So where did 'they' get this '2500' figure? Pick it 'out of the air'? It doesn't bear any relation to the actual nutrients listed.

What percentage of the overweight population became overweight by eating only 2500 calories per day? And, what percentage of the population even knows how to calculate the amount of calories in their food?

Hint: the percentages in both cases are very, very small.

Alan B wrote:

And of course the 'Food Industry' won't complain, now, will they? Their whole purpose is to get us to eat more to increase their profits - and if they can 'convince' (or at least, not discourage) the 'health and fitness' industry, then it is all to the good for the food industry.

The 2500 figure is useless for the individual, other than as a rough estimate. Basically, at my age, height and weight, my basal metabolic rate is about 2000 calories per day. Light to Moderate exercise (like 3 days a week - 1 hour a day), probably increases me to about 2700 calories to break even. Ballparking it.

These figures change due to height, weight, sex, age, etc., so the whole idea that the government is going to tell us how many calories to eat, and what a recommended serving of this or that is, on some sort of an "average" basis can only be a very rough rule of thumb.

I get your conspiracy theory -- the food industry was behind an increase in the recommended daily calorie intake in order to make people follow the higher guideline and have them eat more, to line the pockets of the capitalist running dogs.

Interesting hypothesis -- but, do you have any evidence of it?

What I see as evidence against it is the steadfast resistance that the food industry put up to these sorts of labeling recommendations from the very beginning. They never wanted an RDA of this or that, and calorie recommendations. These are government mandates that come from organizations which tell us that we need the government to tell us what and how much to eat.
horacerumpole

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#119  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jul 13, 2012 8:06 pm

I was, in fact, just reading about the latest round in the food industry's steadfast opposition to healthy eating the other day.

Britain came close to adopting a traffic-light system of compulsory food labelling to grade the health impact of food products - but, as Jacques Peretti reports, opposition from within the food industry prevented it happening.

A significant part of the food industry is against legislated labelling. They want the freedom to decide how best to disclose the levels of fat, salt and sugar in their food so that it doesn't damage sales.

Story

And interestingly, this system is proven to work in driving people to eat healthier foods. The food industry is terrified that this will cause people to eat less. And they're probably right, because this labelling is specifically a threat to the types of food that people have in addition to their normal daily calories (i.e. the things that you can eat without affecting your appetite: snacks). Horace is right. The fact of the matter is that any return to a healthy diet will be a rebalancing of the input/output equation, and it's very unlikely that an increase in the output is going to be the solution, because it's far easier to not have a Mars Bar than it is to run for 40 minutes. And it won't affect the staple foods either, it will be the snack, soft drink and alcohol industries that suffer, because they are the source of these extra, unnecessary calories.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#120  Postby horacerumpole » Jul 13, 2012 8:10 pm

It's proven to work? Really?

O.k. -- where is the proof?

As for the traffic light system keeping someone from eating Mars bars. Are you serious? If there is any evidence of that, I'll eat my hat.

Such labeling is a monumental joke, because nobody knows what a "serving" is, and they would need to know how many grams per day they need in order to be able to total it up for the different foods they eat. That is the same problem with current labeling.

It's nonsense.

And, it doesn't solve one of the main problems highlighted in the show in the OP -- that when people see "low fat" or "low sugar" they think they eat a ton of it. So what does that tell you about what people will do when they see a green symbol on one of the categories. If "healthy" verbiage on a package makes people eat more of it, what do you think the green label or yellow label is going to do?

And, bottom line, this does not address the quantity of food people eat. That is the problem.
Last edited by horacerumpole on Jul 13, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
horacerumpole

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV