The Walking Thread

I love making bad puns

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Walking Thread

#101  Postby Spinozasgalt » Nov 09, 2017 8:22 am

Is there much of Carol, Maggie and Tara? That's pretty much all I care about at this point.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
User avatar
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator
 
Name: Jennifer
Posts: 16662
Age: 30
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Walking Thread

#102  Postby Mike_L » Nov 09, 2017 9:42 am

Yes, Maggie is quite prominent now that she's taken control at Hilltop.
Carol is pretty much in the shadow of King Ezekiel ATM.
I'd like to see more of Tara. Like Daryl, she wants a more ruthless approach toward the Saviors, but is being held in check by the pacifist-leaning Jesus.

Mac_Guffin wrote:This season is okay, but it seems like it will be better binge watched. They feel more like parts of a whole than full episodes.

:nod:
User avatar
Mike_L
 
Posts: 12348
Age: 49
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Re: The Walking Thread

#103  Postby Mac_Guffin » Nov 14, 2017 8:02 am

Mike_L wrote:Yes, Maggie is quite prominent now that she's taken control at Hilltop.
Carol is pretty much in the shadow of King Ezekiel ATM.
I'd like to see more of Tara. Like Daryl, she wants a more ruthless approach toward the Saviors, but is being held in check by the pacifist-leaning Jesus.

Mac_Guffin wrote:This season is okay, but it seems like it will be better binge watched. They feel more like parts of a whole than full episodes.

:nod:


This last episode was great. Probably one of my favorites of the series. Could have been higher up if the CGI was better and the Jeffrey Dahmer Savior's actor was better at acting. I also hate how the show portrays the Savior henchmen except for the higher ups as opposed to how the comic does. They're so one/two-dimensional. Also, the I am Negan thing was in the comic, but the show kind of shoves it in your face. Like, we get it.

Carol seems to be more like the comic version of Michonne. I won't spoil and give details, but I expect her to be out of the shadow sooner or later.

I hope the war ends like it does in the comic. I worry it might be a risk they won't take. The show has avoided some risks, but there have been times when they have taken them, so who knows.
User avatar
Mac_Guffin
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Christopher
Posts: 6648
Age: 30
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Walking Thread

#104  Postby Mac_Guffin » Nov 14, 2017 8:10 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:Is there much of Carol, Maggie and Tara? That's pretty much all I care about at this point.

They're all in the first.
Same with the next.
Same.
Only Carol was in the last one, but it's one of the better episodes of the series.
User avatar
Mac_Guffin
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Christopher
Posts: 6648
Age: 30
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Walking Thread

#105  Postby Spinozasgalt » Nov 14, 2017 10:45 pm

Mac_Guffin wrote:Carol seems to be more like the comic version of Michonne. I won't spoil and give details, but I expect her to be out of the shadow sooner or later.

Yeah, I noticed this when they swapped Michonne for Andrea and went looking for who's gonna fill in the role of Michonne. Made me think, "Oh, well Carol's gonna be around for a bit. Woo."
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
User avatar
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator
 
Name: Jennifer
Posts: 16662
Age: 30
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The Walking Thread

#106  Postby Mac_Guffin » Dec 13, 2017 4:14 am

I defend a lot of unpopular things from this show. I can't defend the death that happened in the midseason finale. I'm not saddened by it. I'm pissed at the writing choice. I can't see what happened in the comic happening on the show now, and the show almost always suffers from diverting, and they have never diverted this extremely.
There are exceptions like Carol living on and becoming strong, but they are rare exceptions, and the good changes are almost always from adding something.
I'm not quitting the show yet, but I am now starting to feel like other fans.
User avatar
Mac_Guffin
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Christopher
Posts: 6648
Age: 30
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Walking Thread

#107  Postby Mike_L » Dec 13, 2017 6:44 am

I cannot help but think that the decision to kill off Carl is primarily one of convenience.
Chandler Riggs has been in his teenage "growth spurt" phase for a while already. With the long gaps between seasons (sometimes as many as six months), I think it was becoming increasingly difficult to keep continuity. He'd matured quite visibly between end of S7 and beginning of S8, even though the events of the latter season supposedly followed immediately after S7. I suppose they could've written around this somehow, but it would've been tricky.
But my main complaint with S8 (so far) is that it felt very disjointed... as though they were trying to weave too many threads. I'll keep watching, I s'pose... but my enthusiasm has waned quite a bit.
User avatar
Mike_L
 
Posts: 12348
Age: 49
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Walking Thread

#108  Postby Spinozasgalt » Dec 13, 2017 6:57 am

On the other foot, I just finished the third season of Fear The Walking Dead the other day and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I dunno, maybe it's that this doesn't have a parent comic and so it lets them move more freely. After the first two seasons, they killed off a couple of people and seemed to realise that they could make the leading characters interesting if they wanted to.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
User avatar
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator
 
Name: Jennifer
Posts: 16662
Age: 30
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The Walking Thread

#109  Postby Mac_Guffin » Dec 14, 2017 2:28 am

Mike_L wrote:I cannot help but think that the decision to kill off Carl is primarily one of convenience.
Chandler Riggs has been in his teenage "growth spurt" phase for a while already. With the long gaps between seasons (sometimes as many as six months), I think it was becoming increasingly difficult to keep continuity. He'd matured quite visibly between end of S7 and beginning of S8, even though the events of the latter season supposedly followed immediately after S7. I suppose they could've written around this somehow, but it would've been tricky.
But my main complaint with S8 (so far) is that it felt very disjointed... as though they were trying to weave too many threads. I'll keep watching, I s'pose... but my enthusiasm has waned quite a bit.



But there is a time skip after the war. The growth of Chandler won't be an issue. That will likely happen after this season.
User avatar
Mac_Guffin
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Christopher
Posts: 6648
Age: 30
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Walking Thread

#110  Postby Mac_Guffin » Dec 14, 2017 2:36 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:On the other foot, I just finished the third season of Fear The Walking Dead the other day and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I dunno, maybe it's that this doesn't have a parent comic and so it lets them move more freely. After the first two seasons, they killed off a couple of people and seemed to realise that they could make the leading characters interesting if they wanted to.


I hate that show. I couldn't get past season 1. The characters are bland and unrelatable... more so than the main show.
I feel like if you don't read the comic, you really don't know how much the show fucks up with what it changes.
I have loved adaptations that change the source material more than I loved the originals, but TWD isn't one of them.
And you know, maybe fully abandoning the source material would be better. I'd probably like that better than half assing it. But we kind of have that with Fear, and I don't like Fear.

The show is so inconsistent with its quality but the comic has consistently gotten better over time. Early issues feel really amateurish, but Kirkman grows as a writer.
User avatar
Mac_Guffin
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Christopher
Posts: 6648
Age: 30
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Walking Thread

#111  Postby Spinozasgalt » Dec 14, 2017 3:23 am

I totally get if you were turned off FTWD by the first season. And the second season is a bit of a slog to get through with some odd plot choices. But you know how I'm always going on about the fourth season of TWD being a cleanup season that fixed up a lot of the characters by splitting them up and letting them actually become individual characters, which led into the fifth season being the show's best? Well the third season of FTWD feels a bit like that. There are still some of the usual contrivances that both shows always have, but the central characters have been given space to develop and they've cleaned up the cast, so to speak.

Still probably wouldn't be your type of thing, but I'm slightly impressed that they turned the show around so much in one season.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
User avatar
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator
 
Name: Jennifer
Posts: 16662
Age: 30
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The Walking Thread

#112  Postby Mac_Guffin » Dec 14, 2017 4:00 am

It's funny you say that. Latter half of season 4 and 5 were when the show really started sticking closer to the comic. The changes they did make seemed to add rather than subtract, like making a very minor no name group of thugs into The Claimers. My issues were minor like the cannibal victim being a character I didn't care about (Bob) rather than Dale, but the actor wanted out before then, so I don't blame the show. They actually expanded the cannibals into a more powerful group with a compound, making them trappers rather than out in the woods hunters. This is when the comic-show comparisons started being done on the Skybound website because there was a lot to compare and contrast. I think this is the first one. https://www.skybound.com/the-walking-de ... omparison/ It's almost an exact copy, and I love that. Not only that, but this was well-loved by people who haven't even skimmed the comics.
User avatar
Mac_Guffin
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Christopher
Posts: 6648
Age: 30
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Film & TV

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest