The Walking Thread

I love making bad puns

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Walking Thread

#61  Postby Mac_Guffin » Apr 16, 2016 9:07 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:I quite liked the show's version of Andrea and Holden's way of playing her. I think the showrunners just kept exploiting the character through parts of season 2 and 3 rather than write her to the strengths that were there. And I think they do that with a lot of characters.

A lot of it comes across as indecision. The creators aren't sure if the characters should be regular and grounded people confronting something horrible or badass fighters larger than life. The comic comparison is similar and probably related: the showrunners won't stick completely to the comics, but neither will they let the show move away from them based on what grows out of the drama. So we're stuck with what appear to be badass warriors who turn quite unpredictably into regular and error-prone people, and a show that will prune away the good and suggestive drama it's already grown to keep the path to certain iconic comic landmarks clear.

I don't think I liked Holden in anything I've seen from her. She did at least show some promise early on to be decent and similar to her comic counterpart, but they really dropped the ball.

I feel like Darabont did a better job balancing hitting certain comic benchmarks while also not letting it limit the creativity of the show. Gimple is a better showrunner than Mazzara, but I'm learning he doesn't quite hit Darabont levels.
The budget is also a big contributor to the show's flaws.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Mike_L » Jul 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Kevin Smith interviews four of the TWD cast members at Comic-Con 2016, including newcomer Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Negan).
There's a (possible) spoiler... Morgan reveals that "no-one sitting here" was killed by Negan. ('Rick', 'Glenn' and 'Daryl' are the characters appearing with 'Negan' in the interview).

The video is not (yet) on YouTube, but can be seen on the IMDb homepage.

Also...

Season 7 trailer (includes a brief glimpse of Ezekiel and his tiger)...

Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#63  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jul 25, 2016 12:11 am

The Walking Dead graphic novel #1 is currently free on Kindle. I'm on my phone so I can't link it but you can look it up on Amazon.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Mike_L » Jul 25, 2016 8:12 am

NamelessFaceless wrote:The Walking Dead graphic novel #1 is currently free on Kindle. I'm on my phone so I can't link it but you can look it up on Amazon.

:thumbup: Great art by Tony Moore.
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#65  Postby aliihsanasl » Sep 27, 2016 6:38 pm

I watch the series, readthe comics and just played season 1-2 game on Android.

First decided to start a new thread then decided to write to videogames thread in the end realized here :) , did you feel it odd when Lee found Clementine after searching her hours and risking his life but not kissed or hugged her even once ? This girl have nobody else close to her even her friend died after she met Lee. It's a cinematic vg and characters' attitude, feelings and emotions has to make sense but as I said I found it odd is there a reason for story writers to make it that way because I felt the same way on " the last of us " I don't remember the name of the characters but guy never showed any sign of love to his little friend all game long even thoug he lost her once too.

And by the way what's all about that these little girls on survival horror videogames ?

Silent Hill
Walking Dead
The last of us

In the original story of TWD there is no little girl but survival horror vg version here she is.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#66  Postby purplerat » Sep 27, 2016 7:04 pm

The original TWD story (depending on exactly what you mean, comics, novels and/or TV) have Sophia and Penny.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#67  Postby aliihsanasl » Sep 27, 2016 7:18 pm

purplerat wrote:The original TWD story (depending on exactly what you mean, comics, novels and/or TV) have Sophia and Penny.

As the TV series advance lots of new characters added but there was no little girl on the first 5-10 episodes afair. I'm waiting for Turkish dub so coming behind a few seasons back on TV.

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby purplerat » Sep 27, 2016 7:44 pm

Sophia is a minor character in season one and a major plot point (albeit almost entirely off screen) in season 2. But your point is largely correct in regards to the TV series, at least in the first few seasons. The Lizzie/Mika storyline in season 4 is short lived in the series but one of the most dramatic and disturbing.

If you've read the comics I'd definitely recommend the series of novels, especially the first 4 which revolve around The Governor and Woodbury. The Penny character who you'd only be minimally aware of in the comics plays a much bigger role, fwiw.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#69  Postby aliihsanasl » Sep 27, 2016 9:15 pm

I remember back in September of 2011 I had returned from army and having holiday in Sile I started these comics and couldn't stop day and night, most fun part was the fan letters very often read them before the comics. With each new comic his fans became more hardcore and I don't remember which issue he announced but when he said there was an offer to make its TV series there was a great hype.

Robert was not happy from some of the choices he made at the beginning of comic series
[Reveal] Spoiler:
such as amputating the arm of main character
but actually it gave a totally more genuine atmosphere to comics in addition to being black and white imo

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Mike_L » Oct 09, 2016 9:30 am

Sneak peak from Season 7, episode 1...

(Doesn't give away who was bludgeoned. Does contain gore.)

Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#71  Postby Mike_L » Oct 25, 2016 4:12 pm

Heh! Dare I say it...?

I :heart: Negan!

:shifty: :hide:

Two things in the current story arc that I thought were really well done...

Pride before the fall
This was nicely set up by the writers. From this display of hubris in season 6...

...to the horrifying showdown with Negan in season 7.

And this...

Full circle with Glenn
Here he sees photographs of Lucille's victims. Later, after Glenn himself has become a victim, we see a man taking a snapshot of the gruesome scene.
Awful... but awfully well constructed!
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#72  Postby NamelessFaceless » Oct 25, 2016 5:41 pm

I'm having a hard time understanding why so many people would follow someone who is clearly a psychopath. But then there was Saddam Hussein, so WTH do I know. :dunno:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#73  Postby purplerat » Oct 25, 2016 6:16 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:I'm having a hard time understanding why so many people would follow someone who is clearly a psychopath. But then there was Saddam Hussein, so WTH do I know. :dunno:

He keeps them safe and well fed/supplied.

Plus keep in mind that it was Ricks Group who started killing them first. It's not hard to imagine how the Saviors see Ricks group as the bad guys the same way we see Negan.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby scott1328 » Oct 25, 2016 6:20 pm

purplerat wrote:
NamelessFaceless wrote:I'm having a hard time understanding why so many people would follow someone who is clearly a psychopath. But then there was Saddam Hussein, so WTH do I know. :dunno:

Plus keep in mind that it was Ricks Group who started killing them first. It's not hard to imagine how the Saviors see Ricks group as the bad guys the same way we see Negan.

The Alexandria group has killed members of the Saviors in the double digits. We're just shocked because a person we likedand Abraham were killed
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#75  Postby purplerat » Oct 25, 2016 6:47 pm

On the topic of who was killed in the first episode, I was really disappointed they went that route. I'd read some rummers that Negan would actually kill 2 people and I hoped it wasn't true. Not because I didn't want characters to die but rather because it's just such cheap TV the way they did it. It also cheapens Negan's character IMO to make him so excessively brutal as well as makes Daryl look so incredibly dumb and careless which goes against everything he's been about up to this point.

Glen was meant to die in that spot and killing Abraham was just a cheap stunt to provide a twist which would have been bad enough had they just played it out in last season's finale but to double down on the cliffhanger with a twist that serves no purpose to the plot is just terrible.

It doesn't kill the show for me but I do worry they will continue to depend on these cliffhangers and twists that serve no purpose other than to pump ratings.

That said, I thought it was a great episode and it really made you feel and share Ricks emotions throughout the episode. From the beginning where he's doing his "I'm going to kill you" schpeel and I wanted nothing more than for him to just rush Negan with that axe and bury it into his neck to the end where you can just feel how broken he his and just want the whole thing to be over with. It really drove home that Negan won and Rick is his bitch. Even as a viewer knowing Rick is [probably] going to win the war, there's no real satisfaction in that or any looking forward to how he gets back at Negan.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Oct 25, 2016 7:27 pm

My ex literally will not allow the show to be played in his house because the previous season finale made him feel disrespected. He's not an idiot - he knows it isn't about him - but he's pretty disgusted with how the show treats it's audience and considers what the creators are doing lazy. I find it hilarious.

I find the show cheap and without thought at this point, not that I ever thought it was ZOMG BRILLZ but it was less obnoxiously gimmicky in past seasons. Good old Rick keeps acting his balls off and bless him but it doesn't save the show for me, no matter how good looking he is and how well he performs. Way too much dependence on shock with the gross-out factor and all these needless keep-'em-in-suspense elements bore me. CAN WE PLEASE MOVE THE NARRATIVE FORWARD? I have shitty taste so if it weren't for the fact the show bores me at this point I'd still watch. I can't see myself worrying about keeping up with this season though.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#77  Postby purplerat » Oct 25, 2016 7:39 pm

I wasn't ever too mad about them waiting to reveal who died until this season. While it's hard to argue against it being a cheap stunt I do see value in withholding the reveal of who died until the beginning of this season in order to make the death carry more weight for fans in the current season to come.

If they'd revealed who was killed in last season's finale people would be over it and more interested in seeing how Rick and his group gets revenge. With the death being fresh it's a lot easier for the show to focus on the inner dynamics of the group dealing with loss, hopefully providing more dramatic substance, putting vengeance on the back burning at least until the second half of the season.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Oct 25, 2016 7:43 pm

It's not that they waited to reveal who died that I thought was shit. It was that whole fucking episode during which NOTHING HAPPENED ending with "And now we're not going to tell you who died! Aren't we clever?" That annoyed me.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#79  Postby NamelessFaceless » Oct 26, 2016 5:50 pm

purplerat wrote:

Well, I guess kind of, but not really. I can see this as an argument for keeping the Governor. Most of the people of Woodbury were blissfully ignorant of what he did when they weren't around. Everyone in Negan's group, AFAICT, all have to participate in the brutality in order to eat and "stay safe." I'm not sure how one can feel safe when they're constantly having to fight.

purplerat wrote:

But recall that Negan's group had already tried to rob Darryl, Abraham and Sasha. When you live that life you have to expect people to defend themselves and even retaliate. I can't imagine any of the Saviors would consider themselves innocent.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the comic books.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#80  Postby purplerat » Oct 26, 2016 6:13 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:
purplerat wrote:

Well, I guess kind of, but not really. I can see this as an argument for keeping the Governor. Most of the people of Woodbury were blissfully ignorant of what he did when they weren't around. Everyone in Negan's group, AFAICT, all have to participate in the brutality in order to eat and "stay safe." I'm not sure how one can feel safe when they're constantly having to fight.

Woodbury occurred much earlier when people were less accustomed to the new world of the walking dead. After a couple of years many people have likely resigned themselves to the fact that the world is shit and that it isn't going to get better so they do what they have to survive. It's not even like there aren't real world examples of societies or large groups doing shitty things or following a terrible leader because it was the best option.

As for always having to fight, that's not really true. At least not fighting other survivors. Obviously being well armed and capable of killing has some real benefits in a world overrun by zombies. And it's not like there really is an option not to fight to survive when it comes to the reanimated dead.
NamelessFaceless wrote:
purplerat wrote:

But recall that Negan's group had already tried to rob Darryl, Abraham and Sasha. When you live that life you have to expect people to defend themselves and even retaliate. I can't imagine any of the Saviors would consider themselves innocent.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the comic books.

I doubt anybody considers themselves innocent. But Rick basically took a contract to kill these people and has already started hunting them down. That's well beyond a random clash or robbery gone wrong so it's not hard to imagine how people would rally against Rick's group knowing he would just as soon gun them all down if the roles were reversed.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV