To the Academy: What the fuck?!

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

To the Academy: What the fuck?!

#1  Postby Shrunk » Jan 16, 2015 1:43 pm

The Lego Movie not nominated for Best Animated Feature? The only question in my mind was whether it would be included among the Best Picture noms. Animated Feature should've been a given.

What are you guys on?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: To the Academy: What the fuck?!

#2  Postby Made of Stars » Jan 16, 2015 1:45 pm

Yeah, that's a big omission
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Sendraks » Jan 16, 2015 2:01 pm

It does seem to be quite a fuck up. Not that I think the Lego movie should win over HTTYD: 2, but it should certainly have been on the list.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Jan 19, 2015 9:53 am

They should've taken out American Sniper and put in The Lego Movie. I guess The Academy had to have its annual patriotic movie and it was slim pickings this year.

Birdman should win. American Sniper is ok, but it's just a movie. Birdman is a meta-movie. It's a movie about movies.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 19, 2015 11:18 am

See last year's thread for my annual "the Oscars is bullshit anyway" post. About as prestigious as the Nobel Peace Prize.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Animavore » Jan 19, 2015 11:22 am

I was disappointed to see even the Razzies have now lost their credibility by not putting I, Frankenstien in their Worst Picture category, which has now become a Michael Bay hate-in.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Strontium Dog » Jan 19, 2015 11:32 am

Have yet to see any of the Best Picture nominees, but all eight must be spectacularly good if they're better than Interstellar :coffee:

I also don't understand how Foxcatcher can pick up one of five nominations for Best Director, but can't get in the eight Best Picture contenders. I swear sometimes they're just picking these things out of a hat.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Shrunk » Jan 19, 2015 1:47 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:I also don't understand how Foxcatcher can pick up one of five nominations for Best Director, but can't get in the eight Best Picture contenders. I swear sometimes they're just picking these things out of a hat.

I believe the nominations are just voted on by members of that particular discipline. i.e. only directors for directors, costume designers for costume design, etc. But everyone votes for best picture, so such a discrepancy is not impossible. It's still unusual. It was a rare occurence even when they only had five nominations for best picture.

BTW, about Foxcatcher: What's with the weird prosthetics all the actors are wearing in that? I know it's based on a true story, but no one remembers what these people looked like, do they? So why put all that shit on your actors' faces so they look more like people who no one knows what they look like, anyway? Like, if you're doing an autobiographical film and your high school English is one of the characters in it, are you going to put makeup on the actor playing him to make him look like your actual teacher?

And even if we did know what these guys looked like, I think the audience understands the concept of "acting," that the person we're watching on the screen is just pretending to be the character he's playing. He's not actually that person.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Pulsar » Jan 28, 2015 4:41 pm

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Shrunk » Jan 28, 2015 8:09 pm

Pulsar wrote:

I remember hearing that Lars Von Trier was filming a movie over a twenty year period. This was partly to remain compliant with the Dogme rules, which prohibit the use of makeup to make characters appear older. So he has to wait until the actors are actually 20 years older.

I don't seem to hear much about Dogme any more. I don't know if he's still working on that project.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Animavore » Jan 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Did anyone else think The Lego Movie was like 1984 for kids?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Animavore » Feb 23, 2015 12:38 pm

Birdman got it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Animavore » Feb 23, 2015 12:44 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#14  Postby ED209 » Feb 23, 2015 2:35 pm

I thought the lego movie was meh. Big hero 6 was by far the better film.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

Return to Film & TV