Top 10 Animated Films

It's time for another one.

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Top 10 Animated Films

#1  Postby willhud9 » Jun 20, 2014 5:04 am

So I have done my Top 10 Disney movies, I have done my Top 10 Favourite Movies, as well as video game threads as well.

This time around it is time to rank my favourite animated films. I have always felt there is more magic, more wonder in a cartoon than I feel in live action. Even movies which do CGI justice such as Avengers still cannot wow me like an animated Avengers movie does. For this reason animated films will always be cherished in my mind. But what one's stand out the most for me? I have seen plenty of good animated movies and plenty of bad ones as well as plenty of in-between one's. Surprisingly only two on this list are Disney films and sadly no Pixar films made the cut (I for one am of the opinion that Pixar can be overrated). But without much further ado here is my Top 10 Animated Films list.

10. Land Before Time.

I think virtually every person my age went through a certain dino-craze. The late 80's-early 90's was known as the dinosaur renaissance for a reason and that is because interest in dinosaurs as well as breakthroughs in paleontology led to a period of dynamic exposure of dinosaurs in movies. Jurassic Park was one of the iconic ones, but Land Before Time is another classic. Not only is it a classic, but it was a non-Disney movie that put serious pressure on Disney to deliver better quality movies.

The lessons found within the movie such as loss of a loved one, dealing with grief, working together, friendship, are some of the most poignant lessons in a children's film and the animation from the actual way Don Bluth directed the animation to the color palette chosen is so artistic. Not only that, but add a beautiful score and the movie is enough to tug on heart strings regardless of one's age. This movie definitely solidified my passion and love for animated films and serves as a nice foundation for the rest of the movies on this list.

9. Beauty and the Beast.

There is a reason why this movie won Academy Award for Best Picture. It deserves it. The story is captivating, the artwork is mesmerizing, the score and songs are memorable, the characters are wonderful, overall this movie serves as a highlight for Disney, I honestly don't think will ever be passed. (I love Frozen, but my god it is overrated.) From the opening scene with the piano and the narrator and the narration being shown on stained glass to the scene when Belle lives the castle and the snow is dynamically blowing on screen each panel of art looks and feels like a work of art itself and you can feel the time and energy put into the film. This movie is definitely by far one of the most well-designed animated films of all-time.

8. Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

I am not a big Dreamworks animation fan. The main reason? I am not big on cg/3D cartoons. Don't get me wrong, I find Shrek and Shrek 2 to be hilarious. I enjoy How to Train Your Dragon immensely, etc. but Dreamworks lost some magic when they stopped making movies like Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron.

I loved this movie as a kid. No need to have the horse talk. No need to have goofy dialogue. It was a serious film with a beautiful, heartwarming message. It tells the story of the horse in such a way that you start to identify with the horse. You feel trapped by circumstances and people and you just want to break free and run the open plains like you were born to do. Spirit was a character I instantly identified with, despite him being a horse, and the movies side characters are not villainous or heroic. They are simply side characters whose story gets shared alongside Spirit's. That makes it a gem among animated films.

7. Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Okay so this one is cheating, but can you blame me? The realistic blending of live action and animation was so well done even to this day watching the film it has that mystifying aspect to it. The movie has aged really well. Great acting, especially on the part of the late Bob Hoskins, made the film hilariously suspenseful. The villains and twists were great and the story was engaging.

It still has the favourite scene out of many movies as well. The scene when Donald Duck (my favourite cartoon character of all time) has a piano dual with Daffy Duck (my favourite Loony Toons character) is such a well directed scene it will always make me laugh and cheer me up.

I consider Who Framed Roger Rabbit to be a part of the animated film collection because of its beautiful animation, especially Toontown, and it definitely is one of the best movies of all time for what it inspired and led up to.

6. Spirited Away

My first Miyazaki film I ever watched and I was weirded out and confused. But there is also a reason why this film won an Academy Award for Best Picture and its because Studio Ghibli did an amazing job working on the design of the entire film.

The story is one which captivated me because of my love of supernaturalism and the character of Chihiro goes through a coming of age adventure I could only dream of experiencing. Definitely one of Miyazaki's best films.

5. Akira

So my father made me watch Akira when I was a child and first thing I remember thinking: "What the hell am I watching?"

So I love psionics and psychic powers, but what I was seeing in Akira was way more frightening. And that final battle? Gruesomely gory. But the story is amazing if you can keep up with it and the animation style is mature and refreshing. Definitely not a child's film, the film itself is responsible for making popular anime internationally but especially in America.

4. The Lego Movie

Now, some of you may be expressing extreme skepticism or disbelief, but hear me out. When I first went to see this movie I expected a goofy kids film. What did I get? A children's film with amazing family oriented humor that people of all ages could laugh at and enjoy, an incredibly in-depth story based around a child's toy, a message that rings true for people of all ages, a score that was really catchy and animation that was incredibly well done. This movie kicked Disney's Frozen in the butt, and I say that as a giant Disney fan. The only downside is this movie came out a few days after 2013 ended and so couldn't run against Frozen for Academy Award.

An all-star cast rounds out the film and as I said the story is well-paced, well written, and I was laughing for almost the entire film, if not all of it.

3. Grave of Fireflies

Bring your tissues because this film makes me cry everytime I watch it. Not only does the score rip your soul to pieces, but the story mixed with the harsh lines of the animation makes this a tear-jerky for sure. If you have never even seen it, I suggest you go and rent it or watch it because it ranks as one of the best animated films of all time, not just by me, but by many worldwide critics. Definitely deserves the hype surrounding it.

2. The Hunch of Notre Dame

My favourite Disney movie ever. The maturity and dark atmosphere of the movie makes this one so captivating. Not only does it deal in themes such as cruelty, forgiveness, mercy, social justice, corruption, etc. but Frollo is the best Disney villain and the songs are amazingly written. The score is my favourite score out of all Disney films. The downside is the gargoyles as comic relief, but I can ignore them due to the fact that the main characters are all amazingly written and developed.

This movie due to it being dark and mature for Disney will always have a set place in my heart which I doubt will be replaced.

1. Princess Mononoke

First time I saw the film, I knew I had to rewatch. I loved it. Ashitaka remains one of my favourite protagonists in any film. I loved the pro-nature vs. exploitative industrial growth message and I loved the colors used throughout the film. Miyazaki's best film in my opinion, this film will always be my favourite animated film. It has everything which makes a movie good. A well-paced story, beautiful animation, likeable characters who were not painted good or evil, but rather were more complex, a beautiful score, a magical atmosphere, the supernatural, etc. Princess Mononoke deserves to be in this #1 spot.

So those are my top 10 animated films.

What are some of yours?

:cheers:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Top 10 Animated Films

#3  Postby Macdoc » Jun 20, 2014 6:18 am

How can you not list

and

and

and

and

and the one that started it all

and

and

and

and finally

amongst others...

:D
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Ironclad » Jun 20, 2014 12:00 pm

10 Spongebob Square Pants the Movie. Starring The Hoff.
20 goto 10
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#5  Postby zerne » Jun 20, 2014 12:58 pm

1. Spirited Away

2. Grave of the Fireflies (Tears)

3. Renaissance

4. Up (Tears)

5. My Neighbour Totoro

6. WALL-E (Tears)

7. Toy Story

8. Persepolis

9. Yellow Submarine

10. South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

In no particular order really..
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Animavore » Jun 20, 2014 9:57 pm

Not in order, but ten of my faves are...

Watership Down.
The Dark Cauldron.
The Lion King.
Akira.
Princess Mononoke.
Ninja Scroll.
Persepolis.
The Secret of NIMH.
Mary and Max.
Am I allowed Pink Floyd's, The Wall?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mike_L » Jun 21, 2014 12:48 pm

I remember seeing this on VHS back in the '80s...

Sarah (aka The Seventh Match)

It's similar in theme and tone to Grave of the Fireflies. Although the animation (cels upon photographed backgrounds) doesn't have nearly the same level of finesse as the Studio Ghibli production, it's quite an affecting story...

A young girl, her life devastated by WW2, attempts to end the war by destroying an armaments supply bridge one brick at a time...

Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby Mike_L » Jun 21, 2014 9:14 pm

willhud9 wrote:7. Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Okay so this one is cheating, but can you blame me? The realistic blending of live action and animation was so well done even to this day watching the film it has that mystifying aspect to it. The movie has aged really well. Great acting, especially on the part of the late Bob Hoskins, made the film hilariously suspenseful. The villains and twists were great and the story was engaging.

It still has the favourite scene out of many movies as well. The scene when Donald Duck (my favourite cartoon character of all time) has a piano dual with Daffy Duck (my favourite Loony Toons character) is such a well directed scene it will always make me laugh and cheer me up.

I consider Who Framed Roger Rabbit to be a part of the animated film collection because of its beautiful animation, especially Toontown, and it definitely is one of the best movies of all time for what it inspired and led up to.

Anyone see this lame attempt to capitalise on the success of Who Framed Roger Rabbit...?

Cool World
Starring Gabriel Byrne, Brad Pitt and Kim Basinger
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104009/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_66

It has a few good ideas and a few half-clever gags, but it all falls flat in the execution. The 4.7 score at IMDb is about right.

Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby DougC » Jun 21, 2014 11:15 pm

The Lion King
Akira
A Grand Day Out
The Wrong Trousers
A Close Shave
WALL-E
Toy Story (1&2)
Steamboy
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Jun 22, 2014 1:33 pm

The kid's in the next room watching Finding Nemo. How the hell did I forget my favourite Pixar movie? :doh:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby willhud9 » Jun 22, 2014 1:53 pm

Finding Nemo is overrated.

:hide:

Granted, I love it, just not as much as say A Bug's Life.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Animavore » Jun 22, 2014 1:56 pm

willhud9 wrote:Finding Nemo is overrated.

:hide:

Granted, I love it, just not as much as say A Bug's Life.

I love A Bug's Life too.

My own contraversial opinion is that Up and Wall-E are over-rated :hide: :hide:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13  Postby willhud9 » Jun 22, 2014 2:04 pm

I agree on both those counts as well :mrgreen:
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Animavore » Jun 22, 2014 2:05 pm

Have you seen Watership Down, will? I think you'd like that one.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 22, 2014 2:20 pm

Animavore wrote:Have you seen Watership Down, will? I think you'd like that one.

I vaguely remember watching that one as a kid - and found it so very traumatic and upsetting I'm reluctant to even go there again!
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#16  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Ghost in the Shell 2 - Innocence deserves a mention. Cyborg existential atheistic mastery. Probably my number 1 even.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#17  Postby Animavore » Jun 22, 2014 2:23 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Animavore wrote:Have you seen Watership Down, will? I think you'd like that one.

I vaguely remember watching that one as a kid - and found it so very traumatic and upsetting I'm reluctant to even go there again!

I haven't seen it since I was a kid either. It's certainly memorable. :lol:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#18  Postby willhud9 » Jun 22, 2014 2:32 pm

Yep. It is also an awesome film...though not suitable for children imo.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 22, 2014 2:35 pm

But it's just cute little cartoon wabbits frolicking about - what could possibly go wrong? :ahrr:
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#20  Postby igorfrankensteen » Jun 22, 2014 2:38 pm

I'm not in the mood to go about listing them in any order, but I too would put a few Studio Ghibli films in there.

This is another one of those areas where we could make sublists for films we admire for their content, others for their rendering skill, and others for their uniqueness and so on.

Some go on lists like this because they are iconic historically, rather than because they are all that marvelous in and of themselves. Nothing wrong with that, it's just my finickiness wanting to have one category for "good," and others for "historically important to the development of the genre."

I own copies of most of the Disney things, and almost all the Ghibli films. Pixar has done things that neither of those studios did, especially the first Shrek film. It was sarcastic, and a great send-up of fairytale movies, even as it told it's own very positive and well crafted story.

By the way.. is Avatar an animated film?
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Film & TV