Twin Peaks Season 3

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Twin Peaks Season 3

#1  Postby Shrunk » May 22, 2017 2:42 pm

Any thoughts on the first two episodes last night? (I haven't yet watched episodes 3 & 4, so no spoilers, please!)

I think it looks very promising. I like how they're just slowly rolling in characters from the first two seasons and not making into a mere nostalgia trip. The look and feel is also quite different from the early episodes. The single biggest shock for me was that overhead shot of New York. Lynch also seems to be harkening back to his entire body of work, not just Twin Peaks. I can't be the only person who thought of the baby from Eraserhead by "the arm."
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Twin Peaks Season 3

#2  Postby Sendraks » May 22, 2017 2:45 pm

I loved Twin Pinks but, haven't watched it since it first aired in the early 90s. I need to do a serious rewatch before I delve into season 3 which, in all probability, I won't see until it is on streaming or DvD.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Shrunk » May 22, 2017 2:55 pm

Sendraks wrote:I loved Twin Pinks but, haven't watched it since it first aired in the early 90s. I need to do a serious rewatch before I delve into season 3 which, in all probability, I won't see until it is on streaming or DvD.

It's already available for streaming, at least here in Canada.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Sendraks » May 22, 2017 2:57 pm

I'll move to Canada then. ;)
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby SafeAsMilk » May 23, 2017 12:38 am

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm pretty excited. I really just want to know if it seems like Lynch is in control.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Shrunk » May 23, 2017 12:58 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Haven't seen it yet, but I'm pretty excited. I really just want to know if it seems like Lynch is in control.

So far it certainly looks that way.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Arjan Dirkse » May 23, 2017 6:57 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Haven't seen it yet, but I'm pretty excited. I really just want to know if it seems like Lynch is in control.

Oh yeah it's pure undiluted surreal Lynch, with influences of many of his movies, I see a lot of Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire in it.

I fricking love it so far, episodes 3 and 4 are better than the opening two parter.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Shrunk » May 23, 2017 2:54 pm

I'm part way thru episode 3. I really don't think network executives had any major input here.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Fallible » May 24, 2017 12:22 pm

:eager:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Shrunk » May 25, 2017 1:07 am

One other observation: Kyle MacLachlan always had something of a familial resemblance to David Lynch. But now he's almost doppelganger-like.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Arjan Dirkse » May 25, 2017 6:56 pm

Gordon Cole speaking for the audience:

Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#12  Postby SafeAsMilk » May 25, 2017 9:44 pm

That means they're doing it right! :eager:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Animavore » May 25, 2017 9:48 pm

Do I have to bother watching the other one?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#14  Postby monkeyboy » May 25, 2017 9:58 pm

I've just started watching season 1.. I never watched it. Only just finished episode 3. Saw the ads for the new series and thought I might give it a go. I was young, too cool, out shagging and partying when it aired first time around.
There something in the water there. Is there nobody who isn't having some sort of affair? And log lady? WTAF?
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Shrunk » May 26, 2017 12:06 am

monkeyboy wrote:I've just started watching season 1.. I never watched it. Only just finished episode 3. Saw the ads for the new series and thought I might give it a go. I was young, too cool, out shagging and partying when it aired first time around.
There something in the water there. Is there nobody who isn't having some sort of affair? And log lady? WTAF?

Log lady is wonderful is many, many ways. I don't think it's spoiling much to say she makes a rather affecting appearance in the new series.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Mac_Guffin » May 26, 2017 5:31 am

A lot of people are alienated by it, much like the movie with its subversion of the tone, but this is shaping up to be my favorite season. It's probably the most Lynchian of anything Twin Peaks. It's more similar to his more recent films than the show.
I love getting lost in Lynch's (or any surrealist or abstract artist's) dreamlike worlds more than a straight-forward story.

If I had to pick out a flaw (I don't think the slowness is a flaw, but thought I'd mention it in parentheses.), it would be some of the CGI. I've seen much worse, but it could be better. I will say the way the effects are done are at least fresh. The show doesn't have that look that almost every other show has.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Fallible » May 26, 2017 7:04 am

Shrunk wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:I've just started watching season 1.. I never watched it. Only just finished episode 3. Saw the ads for the new series and thought I might give it a go. I was young, too cool, out shagging and partying when it aired first time around.

Log lady is wonderful is many, many ways. I don't think it's spoiling much to say she makes a rather affecting appearance in the new series.

But... :scratch:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Fallible » May 26, 2017 7:08 am

...and now I want to watch Fire Walk With Me again as well. I don't have time for all this! I haven't even read this book yet!

It's sitting there taunting me, among the dozens of others all vying for my attention. FML.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Mac_Guffin » May 26, 2017 7:15 am

I didn't have time to finish it (I barely started it) before the new season came on. I'll probably use it to fill the time between episodes since I watched the 4 they made available. I like the mock non-fiction style.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Shrunk » May 27, 2017 11:21 am

MIchael Cera. WTAF was that? Is he going to keep coming back doing bad impersonations of 50's male cultural icons? Wally Presley, or Wally Dean? I loved that scene.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Film & TV