"Twin Peaks" to return to TV in 2016

David Lynch and Mark Frost to write and direct nine new episodes

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

"Twin Peaks" to return to TV in 2016

#1  Postby Shrunk » Oct 06, 2014 7:27 pm

The groundbreaking television phenomenon, Golden Globe® and Peabody Award-winner TWIN PEAKS will return as a new limited series on SHOWTIME in 2016. Series creators and executive producers David Lynch and Mark Frost will write and produce all nine episodes of the limited series, and Lynch will direct every episode. Set in the present day, TWIN PEAKS will continue the lore of the original series, providing long-awaited answers and a satisfying conclusion for the series’ passionate fan base.

:popcorn:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: "Twin Peaks" to return to TV in 2016

#2  Postby orpheus » Oct 06, 2014 8:04 pm

:shock:

Wow. This is big news. Twin Peaks was one of the few truly great shows on television. I remember being blown away when I first saw it. And it stands up: I watched some episodes not long ago and they were as original, quirky, almost musically-paced, and disturbing as ever.

I thought Lynch had sworn off TV after they wanted to dumb down the last thing he proposed (on which, thank god, he refused to compromise - and which (I think) became Mulholland Drive). I really hope they give him the creative freedom he needs and deserves for this.

I can't watch the video now. Does it say the cast will be the same? It's been a long time!
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby I'm With Stupid » Oct 06, 2014 8:09 pm

orpheus wrote::shock:

Wow. This is big news. Twin Peaks was one of the few truly great shows on television. I remember being blown away when I first saw it. And it stands up: I watched some episodes not long ago and they were as original, quirky, almost musically-paced, and disturbing as ever.

I thought Lynch had sworn off TV after they wanted to dumb down the last thing he proposed (on which, thank god, he refused to compromise - and (I think) it became Mulholland Drive. I really hope they give him the creative freedom he needs and deserves.

I doubt he'd be doing it if they didn't. Especially nowadays with the likes of Netflix getting in on the act, there's an increasing number of options for creative types to make sure they get to make the show they want. Especially someone with his track record.

I've still only ever seen the first season (which in reality is only half a series), because they didn't release the second season on DVD in the UK. So I watched the first DVD boxset only to have them fuck off the follow up because it didn't sell enough. Shame because up until that point, it was the best TV show I'd ever seen. I'm downloading it now.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Fallible » Oct 06, 2014 8:31 pm

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!! :eager:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 06, 2014 8:37 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
orpheus wrote::shock:

I thought Lynch had sworn off TV after they wanted to dumb down the last thing he proposed (on which, thank god, he refused to compromise - and (I think) it became Mulholland Drive. I really hope they give him the creative freedom he needs and deserves.

I doubt he'd be doing it if they didn't. Especially nowadays with the likes of Netflix getting in on the act, there's an increasing number of options for creative types to make sure they get to make the show they want. Especially someone with his track record.

I've still only ever seen the first season (which in reality is only half a series),

Not even, first season is something like a quarter of the whole series. To be fair there's big chunks of Season 2 you can safely skip, and I think visually the first season is the best, but you should definitely get your hands on Season 2 somehow. And the pilot. And FWWM.

because they didn't release the second season on DVD in the UK. So I watched the first DVD boxset only to have them fuck off the follow up because it didn't sell enough. Shame because up until that point, it was the best TV show I'd ever seen. I'm downloading it now.

Enjoy :cheers: Easily one of, if not THE best show on TV, and decades ahead of its time.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 06, 2014 8:39 pm

orpheus wrote:
I can't watch the video now. Does it say the cast will be the same? It's been a long time!

The video doesn't say or show anything unfortunately.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Pulsar » Oct 07, 2014 7:45 am

Through the darkness of future past, the magician longs to see, one chants out between two worlds, fire walk with me!

:eager: :eager: :eager:

orpheus wrote:I can't watch the video now. Does it say the cast will be the same? It's been a long time!

[Reveal] Spoiler: finale of the original series
Didn't they all die in the last episode? Except Cooper & Audrey, IIRC.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 07, 2014 10:15 am

I have one question to ask, is this the series that was set in a mountain town in the USA that had killers and some form of supernatural or possibly mental breakdown stuff going on? Or is that another show I am thinking of?
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Fallible » Oct 07, 2014 10:25 am

That's it. Also backwards talking dwarves and pet logs.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 07, 2014 10:27 am

I lied, I have a second question should I watch the original show before watching the new one?
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Shrunk » Oct 07, 2014 10:35 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:I lied, I have a second question should I watch the original show before watching the new one?

My question is whether we're going to have to watch the Fire Wallk With Me movie, that everyone says was crap.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Spinozasgalt » Oct 07, 2014 10:38 am

I predicted this and I have the Facebook status from a month ago to prove it.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby orpheus » Oct 07, 2014 12:59 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:I lied, I have a second question should I watch the original show before watching the new one?

Yes - both seasons. I'm sure it'll help when watching the new season. And in any case, it's stunning.

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Pulsar » Oct 07, 2014 1:46 pm

You should watch it no matter what. It's the best show ever.

Shrunk wrote:My question is whether we're going to have to watch the Fire Wallk With Me movie, that everyone says was crap.

The movie isn't bad, but it has a completely different feel than the series. It's much much darker and disturbing, with quite a bit of violence and sexual content. It's a prequel and it adds more backstory to the series, but it's not essential material. I doubt it will be relevant to the new series.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Blip » Oct 07, 2014 1:57 pm

Oh, this is excellent news. And...

...so is this!
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Fallible » Oct 07, 2014 2:04 pm

I've managed to watch Fire Walk With Me (what a great title by the way) about a dozen times and still come out the other end knowing next to nothing about what I just saw. I do love that club scene though. It's the music. And once I learned not to be pissed off by the obscured dialogue in that and a number of other scenes it began to go easier.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby susu.exp » Oct 07, 2014 2:36 pm

Fallible wrote:I've managed to watch Fire Walk With Me (what a great title by the way) about a dozen times and still come out the other end knowing next to nothing about what I just saw. I do love that club scene though. It's the music. And once I learned not to be pissed off by the obscured dialogue in that and a number of other scenes it began to go easier.

IIRC Lynchs cut was deemed to long by the studio and he responded by basically taking the axe to it at random.
A recently got to see some of Lynchs non-film art and he's done some excellent photography (there is a series of melting snowmen, which Lynch saw while traveling the US. Great!) and some interesting soundscapes. While I'd like to see a new TV series by him, I'm not sure how to feel about revisiting Twin Peaks...
susu
susu.exp

Print view this post

#18  Postby Animavore » Oct 07, 2014 2:42 pm

I've never seen Twin Peaks.

:hide:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#19  Postby orpheus » Oct 07, 2014 2:44 pm

Animavore wrote:I've never seen Twin Peaks.

:hide:

Do not let anyone tell you anything about it. And watch it as soon as you can. :thumbup:

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby electricwhiteboy » Oct 07, 2014 3:39 pm

Season 2 has been out on DVD in the UK for years... I know I have it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twin-Peaks-Seas ... s+season+2
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

Next

Return to Film & TV