Upcoming movies you're anticipating

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Upcoming movies you're anticipating

#2001  Postby don't get me started » Jul 21, 2017 9:00 am

Macdoc wrote:Going with my daughter for that one.

Booked front centre at iMax 70 mm for this

IMDb tells me that the Japan release date for this is Sept...

But, just by chance, I'm in Belfast this week for a conference :dance:

Yay!!
Gonna head straight out after the end of business today and get myself a ticket. Can't wait.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2002  Postby Macdoc » Jul 21, 2017 9:57 am

Yeah - it WOULD have to be a good motorcycle day - looking forward to it in a few hours.

Very well crafted movie ...if you see it in iMax be prepared to flinch. :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2003  Postby don't get me started » Jul 22, 2017 7:48 am

Really enjoyed 'Dunkirk'. As Macdoc says, well crafted and visually impressive.
The minimal dialogue also really had an impact.
'He's got shell shock. He's not himself. He may never be himself again.'

I've got a layover in Amsterdam tonight...I might go and see it again.
As is usually the case with Nolan, the second viewing reveals things you missed the first time around.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#2004  Postby Macdoc » Jul 22, 2017 2:23 pm

BTW for any KindleReaders ....the back story is on sale for $1.99

https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Dunkirk- ... nskepti-20

I was curious about that and looking forward to the read today.....love when I can get a book and movie in close sequence.

An important point the book makes clear....the flotilla of small boats did not just materialize....the lists had been organized beforehand from volunteers with wooden boats to sweep for magnetic mines ....serendipity ....30'-100'...and they had hundreds volunteering their boats for that.

The other bit of serendity was one stubborn officer had INSISTED that a permanent telephone connection be established between London, Calais, Dunkirk and and another city nearby over the military's vitriolic resistance to spending 500 sterling a month.
Of course it proved absolutely vital.

A lot of small bits allowed it to happen ...of course the biggest being Hitler not wanting to commit his tanks and let the Lufftwaffe finish the BEF off. :roll:
Good small story ...a Stuka was trying to finish off a a single motorcycle courier and took a couple passes but the rider dodged and weaved ....finally the pilot did a full diving boming run where they come in at a steep angle ....missed again and could not pull up. The rider sat with a cigarette and happily watched the plane and pilot burn.

3 vital days as the tanks were sitting within sight of the Dunkirk cathedral ......and stopped. :what:
You can imagine Guderian going ballistic .......to no avail.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2005  Postby Mike_L » Jul 23, 2017 9:15 am

Thor: Ragnarok extended trailer.

Not feeling too enthusiastic about this one. Looks very "video-gamey". And there's a big, fiery monster that makes me think the Balrog just stepped out of LOTR to do a cameo appearance for Marvel...

Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#2006  Postby Mazille » Jul 23, 2017 10:33 am

Welp. I guess I've seen the whole movie now.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#2007  Postby aban57 » Jul 23, 2017 2:02 pm

Mike_L wrote:Thor: Ragnarok extended trailer.

Not feeling too enthusiastic about this one. Looks very "video-gamey". And there's a big, fiery monster that makes me think the Balrog just stepped out of LOTR to do a cameo appearance for Marvel...

Funny, this trailer makes me think it's the only Thor movie I may like :)
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2008  Postby Animavore » Jul 28, 2017 10:57 am

Well look who IT is.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2009  Postby Mike_L » Aug 04, 2017 1:09 pm

Oh, FFS! Bruce Willis does Charles Bronson... :roll:

Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#2010  Postby tuco » Aug 07, 2017 10:35 am

making my own

gotta work on it a bit but cool innit.
tuco

Print view this post

#2011  Postby Pulsar » Aug 08, 2017 7:39 am

I have no idea what this movie is about, but that trailer got me intrigued.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#2012  Postby zulumoose » Aug 08, 2017 9:32 am

Whatever you do people, don't go and see Valerian, the writing and acting are both so shallow that no matter how much of an SF fan you are or how many big budget special effects they throw onto the screen, you will be sooooo disappointed. Not a single believable human character. Almost none of the events seem to be there for any reason other than "because we can, we'll write around it afterwards, nobody will notice."

Ughhh.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#2013  Postby Macdoc » Aug 08, 2017 9:45 am

Valerian was fine. It's based on a long standing French comic series. ( 52 years running )
http://screenrant.com/valerian-movie-2017-comic-book/
My daughter and I enjoyed it in 3D. It's vivid and I enjoyed
Cara Delevingne in Paper Towns and in Valerian.

This reviewer "gets it"
| Peter Sobczynski
July 21, 2017 | 125

Every summer movie season needs at least one out-of-left-field entry that is so cheerfully bonkers it stands as a living rebuke to an industry that churns out noisy and soulless garbage like “Transformers: The Last Knight.”
This year, that film is “Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets,” a deliriously entertaining film that finds writer/director Luc Besson swinging for the fences in his efforts to make a weirdo sci-fi epic for the ages and coming up with a virtual home run derby. It's a film filled with humor, charm, excitement and so many memorable images that many viewers will find themselves struggling to keep from blinking so as not to miss any of the eye-popping delights crammed into each overstuffed frame.

more
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/valer ... anets-2017

snip

“Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets” is an utter delight and one of the most gorgeous fantasies to hit the screen in recent memory—the kind of film that can take moviegoers logy from the usual array of craptaculars and render them giddy with its pure fun. The question, of course, is whether viewers will be willing to give its weirdo charms a chance. But if you want to come away from a film feeling dazzled instead of simply dazed, this is an absolute must. Besides, it is almost certainly going to become a cult favorite in a few years, so why not get in on the ground floor while you can?

As the review mentions....it's must to see in 3D.

I almost got swayed by the negativity on the web and fortunately my clever dottor who has followed the base material for years overrode my doubts .....very enjoyable outcome for us both and a couple of characters as memorable as the universe ranging racoon in Guardians.

Besson did The Fifth Element ....give him his due and go see Valerian...make up your own mind,
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2014  Postby zulumoose » Aug 08, 2017 10:09 am

a couple of characters as memorable as the universe ranging racoon in Guardians.

I found nothing memorable at all about the characters. They have no personality, no chemistry, no actual character at all. They are virtually cardboard cut-outs.

These reviews are more on a par with what I experienced:-

New York Times - last paragraph -Though it is based on a popular graphic novel series by Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mézières, “Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets” feels as if it were made up on the spot, by someone so delighted by the gaudy genre packaging at his disposal that he lost track of what was supposed to be inside.

The Hollywood Reporter Todd McCarthy
At no point along the way does the film provide a reason to invest your interest in any of this.

New York Daily News Stephen Whitty
It never stops for a minute, yet it never goes anywhere. And much as it promises to take you to a thousand planets, it can’t find one sign of intelligent life.

Entertainment Weekly Chris Nashawaty
During the film’s intoxicating first 30 minutes, for example, I couldn’t decide whether what I was watching was brilliantly bonkers or total folly. Then, as the story went on, it came into sharper and sharper focus: Valerian is an epic mess.

The Playlist Rodrigo Perez
Even if the movie is based on an existing property, a beloved French graphic novel, as a producer and designer, Besson should be lauded; ‘Valerian’ is out of this world. But next time, he might want to reread the comic for its characters, checking the little word bubbles to see if there’s actually something there.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#2015  Postby aban57 » Aug 08, 2017 8:57 pm

Animavore wrote:

Well look who IT is.

I don't like the fact that they're making 2 different movies for the 2 different timelines. You'll have to watch them sequentially, while in the book they're told in parallel. This was a big part of the book's charm.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2016  Postby Animavore » Aug 10, 2017 3:23 am

:awesome:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2017  Postby zulumoose » Aug 10, 2017 7:35 am

I wonder if the new Blade Runner will be any good?

I just watched the original on DVD again, and while I am not a fan of dark gritty scenes and overly dramatized moments, it was pretty good, and the "tears in the rain" scene must really go down as one of the best cinematic moments ever.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#2018  Postby aliihsanasl » Aug 10, 2017 8:40 am

"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#2019  Postby Mike_L » Aug 24, 2017 7:39 am

Here we go again! Mamma Mia is back

2017-08-23

Universal Pictures has announced that principal photography has begun on Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.
Ten years after Mamma Mia! The Movie grossed more than $600m around the world, the cast is back in an all-new original musical based on the songs of ABBA.

With the film’s original cast returning and new additions including Lily James (Cinderella, Baby Driver), the musical comedy will open on 20 July, 2018.

CONTINUED
Full article at:
http://www.channel24.co.za/Movies/News/here-we-go-again-mamma-mia-is-back-20170823-2
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#2020  Postby Animavore » Sep 05, 2017 11:48 am

From the maker of In Bruges.

:lol:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)