Upcoming movies you're anticipating

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Upcoming movies you're anticipating

#2321  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 01, 2019 1:01 am

The hype is real apparently. Joker received rave reviews at the Venice Film Festival.
https://ew.com/film-festivals/2019/08/31/venice-film-festival-joker-movie-reviews/

Final trailer. I don't know if any two actors have ever earned an Oscar for the same role but I think there might be after this.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2322  Postby Animavore » Sep 01, 2019 4:52 am

IGN gave it 10/10. Only the 4th film to get that score.

Ebert on the other hand.

In mainstream movies today, “dark” is just another flavor. Like “edgy,” it’s an option you use depending on what market you want to reach. And it is particularly useful when injected into the comic book genre.   

Darkness no longer has much to do with feelings of alienation the filmmaker wants to express or purge, as was the case with a film like “Taxi Driver.” It’s not about exploring uncomfortable ideas, as was done in “The King of Comedy.” Do you think Todd Phillips, who co-wrote and directed “Joker,” and references those movies so often you might expect that Martin Scorsese was enlisted as an executive producer here as a way of heading off a plagiarism lawsuit, really cares about income inequality, celebrity worship, and the lack of civility in contemporary society? I don’t know him personally but I bet he doesn’t give a toss. He’s got the pile he made on those “Hangover” movies—which some believe have indeed contributed to the lack of civility in etc.—and can not only buy up all the water that’s going to be denied us regular slobs after the big one hits, he can afford the bunker for after the bigger one hits.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/joke ... eview-2019

Heh. An outlier.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2323  Postby Animavore » Sep 01, 2019 5:52 am

IndieWire's review.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/joker ... 202170236/

Todd Phillips’ “Joker” is unquestionably the boldest reinvention of “superhero” cinema since “The Dark Knight”; a true original that’s sure to be remembered as one of the most transgressive studio blockbusters of the 21st Century. It’s also a toxic rallying cry for self-pitying incels, 

While “Joker” often plays like a beat-for-beat remake of “The King of Comedy,” that movie was about a talentless man who was convinced that he was special; this movie, by contrast, is about a talented man who swallows the red pill and becomes convinced that nobody is. That perspective allows Phillips to feign an apolitical stance and speak to the people in our world who are predisposed to think of Arthur as a role model: lonely, creatively impotent white men who are drawn to hateful ideologies because of the angry communities that foment around them.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2324  Postby willhud9 » Sep 01, 2019 1:28 pm

https://time.com/5666055/venice-joker-r ... not-funny/

Time gives it a negative review as well.

I’ll see it when it comes out, but it looks really cheesy in the trailer. Some of these reviews are saying it’s so artistic, but I think it looks like it’s trying too hard. :dunno:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2325  Postby arugula2 » Sep 03, 2019 3:45 pm

willhud9 wrote:https://time.com/5666055/venice-joker-review-joaquin-phoenix-not-funny/

Time gives it a negative review as well.

I’ll see it when it comes out, but it looks really cheesy in the trailer. Some of these reviews are saying it’s so artistic, but I think it looks like it’s trying too hard. :dunno:

^ Kinda like Heath Ledger.

:door:
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
    - Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#2326  Postby felltoearth » Sep 04, 2019 12:50 pm

Given the character I thought Heath’s portrayal was spot on. Just enough gravitas. Equally at the other end of the spectrum is Caesar Romero with the right amount of camp. Trying to combine the two is where it usually goes wrong.

Edit... oops Heath
Last edited by felltoearth on Sep 04, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2327  Postby willhud9 » Sep 04, 2019 5:14 pm

I think the problem is this mentality of showing sympathy towards the joker.

The Joker is a toxic human being. There is a large group of people out there who say the Joker (especially Ledger’s) is a role model due to their charismatic portrayal in the films.

Media affects people. Incels, neo-nazis, and other crazy people see these films and associate them with virtues they seek to be justified.

I think there is a cautionary tale somewhere to be found here.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2328  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 04, 2019 8:14 pm

willhud9 wrote:Media affects people. Incels, neo-nazis, and other crazy people see these films and associate them with virtues they seek to be justified.

I'd rather we didn't have to dance around incels and neo-nazis over how they might identify with a work of fiction. Fuck them. I wan't a good story. This I believe is going to be a good story.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2329  Postby willhud9 » Sep 04, 2019 9:14 pm

I’d rather we didn’t have to either.

But consider Disney has a massive theme park glorifying the Empire/First Order and then the nazi comparisons in the films, what message is that sending to people who watch these movies?

The same is true for the Joker. His origin story is well known. But the trailer looks like it’s aiming for the sympathy tragic story of the Joker. I don’t care. The Joker is a piece of shit terrorist. Nothing will make me have sympathy towards him. He should be locked up. But trying to create sympathy for a toxic character is a horrible example for the media to go with in today’s sociology-political climate.

We have young adults commuting mass shootings. The media they consume influences their world views. The more they see incels/toxic masculine people portrayed in a pitying light they will identify with that. 4chan and reddit are notorious with people saying the Joker or Tyler Durden from Fight Club are their idols. They ignore the context of the story and focus in on the pity or tragic part of those characters.

These are the times we live in.

As for whether it’s going to tell a good story that’s debatable. It looks overacted and silly imo, but I also find the joker to be overrated unless it’s Mark Hamill.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2330  Postby Ironclad » Sep 04, 2019 10:04 pm

Some people apparently have an issue separating fiction from reality. I'd rather not live a censored life because of, some people.
Trailer looks fine to me. The story of a humiliated man going somewhere dark.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#2331  Postby willhud9 » Sep 04, 2019 10:25 pm

And yet plenty of countries such as Germany have strict censorship in regards to hate speech and Holocaust denial. Delusional people exist, those laws are enacted to deter those delusional people. I would say the issue of entertainment vs societal gain is definitely not a clear cut and stone one.

And incels are humiliated men scorned by women because they are too nice and are not assholes like all those chads.

Nazis are humiliated people scorned by society because they are willing to stand for their beliefs even if they are unpopular.

The Joker is no victim to be pitied. The film is trying to paint him as such. No thanks.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2332  Postby SafeAsMilk » Sep 04, 2019 11:56 pm

Well hopefully before art gets banned for being bad for "today’s sociology-political climate", I'll get to see this Joker movie. The one preview I saw caught my attention, I'll say that. Haven't seen the movie it's to some degree based on (King Of Comedy), though it seems to have that time period vibe. Seems like it could be an interesting take on the character. To me the truly great version is in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns: totally unredeemable and terrifying, a machine of chaos. Still haven't seen Ledger's version, not sure why...

edit: spelling
Last edited by SafeAsMilk on Sep 05, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2333  Postby arugula2 » Sep 05, 2019 12:04 am

:popcorn: Ooh... serious discussion sprang up in an unexpected place...

Hopefully not too many spoilers...

Added: Oh, that's right. Movie's not out yet.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
    - Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#2334  Postby felltoearth » Sep 05, 2019 12:52 am

willhud9 wrote:And yet plenty of countries such as Germany have strict censorship in regards to hate speech and Holocaust denial. Delusional people exist, those laws are enacted to deter those delusional people. I would say the issue of entertainment vs societal gain is definitely not a clear cut and stone one.

And incels are humiliated men scorned by women because they are too nice and are not assholes like all those chads.

Nazis are humiliated people scorned by society because they are willing to stand for their beliefs even if they are unpopular.

The Joker is no victim to be pitied. The film is trying to paint him as such. No thanks.

Though some of the best shows about Hitler come from Germany.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_Who%27s_Back_(film)
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#2335  Postby Animavore » Sep 05, 2019 8:51 am

Ben Wheatley Set To Direct Alicia Vikander In ‘Tomb Raider’ Sequel; MGM Sets Release Date

https://deadline.com/2019/09/tomb-raide ... 202710550/

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2336  Postby Animavore » Sep 05, 2019 9:20 am

Uncut Gems: New Adam Sandler movie has 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes
Thriller described by critics as like ‘being locked inside the pinwheeling brain of a lunatic for more than two hours’

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 91026.html

What the hell is going on today?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2337  Postby Ironclad » Sep 05, 2019 10:53 am

:lol: loving that description
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#2338  Postby newolder » Sep 05, 2019 4:17 pm

Not a movie in the traditional sense but release of full colour film of black hole at galaxy's centre is awaited with keen anticipation...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#2339  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 05, 2019 9:04 pm

newolder wrote:Not a movie in the traditional sense but release of full colour film of black hole at galaxy's centre is awaited with keen anticipation...

Will it be a dark comedy or a tragedy?
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2340  Postby purplerat » Sep 05, 2019 9:26 pm

willhud9 wrote:I think the problem is this mentality of showing sympathy towards the joker.

The Joker is a toxic human being. There is a large group of people out there who say the Joker (especially Ledger’s) is a role model due to their charismatic portrayal in the films.

Media affects people. Incels, neo-nazis, and other crazy people see these films and associate them with virtues they seek to be justified.

I think there is a cautionary tale somewhere to be found here.

"The Joker" isn't a real person like Hitler or something. He's a fictional character. And a comic book character at that where there often exists multiple and even conflicting incarnations of individual characters. Like Thanos was a pretty horrific character in the MCU but my understanding (as somebody who doesn't follow the comics) is that he's not always that clear cut in the comics.

So to pigeonhole such a fictional character and say he shouldn't be shown sympathetically in any incarnation is really shortsighted.

And that's without even getting into whether such media affects people in a meaningful way.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV